Visionking Scope Diy Ring Throw Arm

SSPKali

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Soooo I am loving my Visionking 1.25-5x26 scope but the magnification ring isn't great to grip.

There are throw levers available to clamp round this but I noticed this recessed hex bolt and wondered if it could be replaced with a threaded bar to act as a lever?

The problem is that I don't know what it does! I am guessing it locates the zoom ring in a track on the main body to limit the rotation / stop the ring sliding forward.

It might also key into the zoom element internally (thus making any replacement critical on being the same length!)

Has anyone ever replaced it? Will my scope explode? Could it be replaced with a custom threaded arm?

TIA

20200611_112325.jpg

Edited by SSPKali
Question answered and DIY instructions included

• Supporters

There are a few screw in throw levers around (have a google) but they're usually manufacturer specific and mostly imperial/US threads where your scope is Japanese so it'll be metric.

On the other hand there's lots of clamp on levers with a cutout in them for nubs like that.

45 minutes ago, Lozart said:

There are a few screw in throw levers around (have a google) but they're usually manufacturer specific and mostly imperial/US threads where your scope is Japanese so it'll be metric.

On the other hand there's lots of clamp on levers with a cutout in them for nubs like that.

So you think it is safe to remove and measure up for a custom replacement lever?

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, SSPKali said:

So you think it is safe to remove and measure up for a custom replacement lever?

I see no reason why not.

In fact, let us know how you get on, I'd be interested in a couple if they're cheap enough!

Well it came out and went back in ok!

I turned the power ring to 1.5 (so not at the hard stop) and backed out the screw. It is 11.5mm long threaded section and a tiny o-ring to keep out the elements. The thread is in the ring you turn, rather than in anything internal that could cause issues!

I would NOT risk turning the ring without this bolt in. Something would go *sprang* and your scope will stop working (that is my best guess!)

I have some material on order to make a threaded throw lever, more info and pics as I make progress! 

I managed to gather all the parts needed and have made a Mk1 threaded throw lever for the Visionking short dot scope (LPVO in oPeRaToR SpEaK 😁)

Parts list:

1x M3 x 30mm socket hex head screw (could use 25mm for lower over all length)

1x 6mm aluminium tube (B&Q)

1x Electrical tape (to make alu tube a snug fit around the screw shaft)

1x Adhesive heat shrink tube, 10mm dia.

2x 4mm x 1mm o-ring (can be used to fine tune length, too long and it will bind when twisted towards 5 power)

20200613_122641.jpg

20200613_122711.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.