What's a Good Sidearm?

LiamT

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

2 hours ago, osteoshot said:

I had a performance we split slide glock, it's the best they did at the time, I don't know if they have improved the later models but even if they have my g17 and g34 both Tm are just better. The only change I have made to the g34 is a metal trigger. To be fair that is a problem with all squishy plastic glock triggers regardless of brand.

the Tm glocks are better in every way but if you choose a we based on looks alone then I can't argue with that

personally its just that I like the hevier weight and the idea of a metal slide if its not going to be much of an issue but TM seem to have a great deal of parts, what would you say are the pros cons of TM?

• Supporters

TM just make a better pistol for the money !

to put that in to context, the TM hi-capa as an example is about £130ish, most other brands of hi-capa are 20-30 quid less, but the TM, even though its polymer, has superb quality, everything fits perfectly, no rattle on slides or other parts, & generally it will function flawlessly in all but the coldest weather.

the other brands, WE, KJW etc, while mostly metal, will be bit rattly, not falling apart but definitely a noticeable difference in the build quality, & the performance won't be as sharp, nor will the accuracy as the hops aren't generally as good.

now these issues can be addressed, loads of aftermarket kit available from frames, slides, hops & alsorts of other goodies, but nothing's cheap, so if your after a pistol that is 100% skirmishable straight from the box, the TM is the one, yes it's a wee bit more expensive, but often buying cheaper is a false economy if the cheaper gun doesn't do what you ask of it.

lots of sayings come to mind, "you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd", or "you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear", often the reality of buying certain models from other manufacturers.

38 minutes ago, Tackle said:

TM just make a better pistol for the money !

to put that in to context, the TM hi-capa as an example is about £130ish, most other brands of hi-capa are 20-30 quid less, but the TM, even though its polymer, has superb quality, everything fits perfectly, no rattle on slides or other parts, & generally it will function flawlessly in all but the coldest weather.

the other brands, WE, KJW etc, while mostly metal, will be bit rattly, not falling apart but definitely a noticeable difference in the build quality, & the performance won't be as sharp, nor will the accuracy as the hops aren't generally as good.

now these issues can be addressed, loads of aftermarket kit available from frames, slides, hops & alsorts of other goodies, but nothing's cheap, so if your after a pistol that is 100% skirmishable straight from the box, the TM is the one, yes it's a wee bit more expensive, but often buying cheaper is a false economy if the cheaper gun doesn't do what you ask of it.

lots of sayings come to mind, "you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd", or "you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear", often the reality of buying certain models from other manufacturers.

yeah I'm getting more convinced on TM, do you have any experience with there glocks? its just I saw novritsch's video on his sidearm and he was saying how one of his tm guns broke first game and the other was every six months so thats what worried me about the plastics

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, LiamT said:

its just I saw novritsch's video on his sidearm and he was saying how one of his tm guns broke first game and the other was every six months so thats what worried me about the plastics

i would take any advice from someone who's trying to sell you something with a big heap of salt.

at least here the advice your getting is impartial, we recieve no benefit from you choosing a tm, WE or an SSP

of course tm guns aren't perfect, nothing is, i have no doubt that there are first shot failures from time to time it's just the nature of manufacturing.

however they have a reputation for a reason, my hicapa is the oldest gun i own by far and it still shoots just fine despite years of abuse running high pressure gas and heavy bb's.

that said, these days i primarily run a WE makarov as a sidearm, and i love it to bits. sure the hi-capa is the objectively better gun but i preferr the makarov. liking something is as valid a reason to own it as any.

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i would take any advice from someone who's trying to sell you something with a big heap of salt.

at least here the advice your getting is impartial, we recieve no benefit from you choosing a tm, WE or an SSP

of course tm guns aren't perfect, nothing is, i have no doubt that there are first shot failures from time to time it's just the nature of manufacturing.

however they have a reputation for a reason, my hicapa is the oldest gun i own by far and it still shoots just fine despite years of abuse running high pressure gas and heavy bb's.

that said, these days i primarily run a WE makarov as a sidearm, and i love it to bits. sure the hi-capa is the objectively better gun but i preferr the makarov. liking something is as valid a reason to own it as any.

Sounds like TM glock might be the way 

I just want your opinion, do you have any knowledge on these? https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/raven-eu17-bds?pv=10022

When you consider that the average clone needs upgrades just to make it run almost on par with a stock TM, levitating the price up to TM levels, I believe the choice is obvious.

Avoid Novritsch stuff, seriously. Avoid VFC (bar the HK45CT) unless you want a shiny and nice looking piece of shit that doesn't work.

Clones often have proprietary parts that are somewhat hard to source. Making the choice even more obvious.

3 minutes ago, LiamT said:

Sounds like TM glock might be the way 

I just want your opinion, do you have any knowledge on these? https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/raven-eu17-bds?pv=10022

What part of TM isn't clear enough?

That thing's shit, just like every other Nuprol branded gun/accessory.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, LiamT said:

nuprol ravens are regarded as pretty damn bad, and what i've seen in person is pretty much the same. in this case very much a case of too good to be true.

as a general rule nuprol's gas is about the only thing they do that's good.

• Supporters

Raven ?, Isn't that nuprol rebranding again with another name ?......if that's the case the stay the fuck away, anything related to nuprol is shite.

Edit: Adolf beat me by 5 seconds lol.

Another thing to consider is look at the classifieds, not just here but other forums & selling pages, they're flooded with WE pistols as well as other brands, the only brand you won't see much of is TM, obviously people who buy them tend to keep them.

images.jpeg

Edited by Tackle

Let's put it this way. I love my KWC 1911 to bits. As a shooting experience it's my favourite gun. I also love my WE P226 that I've had for years. Yet I have put both of them up for sale in order to pick up a TM USP Compact

Yawn

No I’m not going to waste time on pros and cons 

you have more than enough evidence in this thread to make a decision. 
just buy the raven and be done then you can start another thread about how how disappointed you are and we can all feel smug 

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

Yawn

just buy the raven and be done then you can start another thread about how how disappointed you are and we can all feel smug 

Lol, hence why my first post started with "yawn" too, but as much as us seasoned old farts hate spoonfeeding the same questions over & over, it says a lot about us as a community that we bite our lips & spend the considerable time to give hard earned advice .

@LukeT, just buy the feckin TM, either model, you'll never regret it & won't look back 👍

2 hours ago, osteoshot said:

Yawn

I'm not trying to be a stickler, I get you all probably get the same questions over and over. I'm new to all this after doing only a few skirmish's, I'm not trying to annoy anyone here.

I'm sorry I asked

6 minutes ago, LiamT said:

I'm sorry I asked

Don't want to sound rude, but if you used the search button you would have found dozens of threads on "what's the best sidearm/secondary/pistol?"

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, LiamT said:

I'm not trying to be a stickler, I get you all probably get the same questions over and over. I'm new to all this after doing only a few skirmish's, I'm not trying to annoy anyone here.

I'm sorry I asked

Don't be sorry bud, just know the advice given, for many has been learnt the hard way.

If your in it for the long haul, have at least one rifle & one pistol that generally does what it's meant to & unlikely to let you down, which in pistol form is the TM, then irrespective of what exotica you dabble in, you know you'll have something to skirmish with.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, LiamT said:

I'm sorry I asked

it's a very common question with a relatively straightforward answer and whilst we completely get why you're curious and want to know more, from our end it can be a tad repetitive.

there are plenty of cases where folks haven't taken on board advice, went and bought whatever they felt like (as is perfectly within their rights) but then felt disappointed when it doesn't match up to their expectations.

tm is by no means the be all and end all of pistols, but they are the go-to recommendation because it's not only a well known standard of performance (at least in the empirical sense of being good at lobbing plastic spheres where you want them to when you want them to), but a pretty good standard at that.

like i said earlier there's nothing wrong in choosing another brand for whatever reason is important to you, as long as you're doing so informed of the potential issues you might be inviting.

You guys are supposed to have all the knowledge!!The lads only trying to find enough confidence and conviction to let go of his hard earnt money.Ive seen a lot of this on here and I gotta tell you that you,re a bunch of rude cunts,yeah,admin you can delete my account,no skin off my back,take you heads out of each others arseholes,cliquey cunts.

A guy I skirmish with loves the more Eastern style of weapon (primarily Russian), so he doesn't go for any TM pistols because TM typically does more "western" style of pistol.

Does he wish they performed like a TM? Sure.

Would they ever consider getting a TM? No, because they love the aesthetics of their Russian kit and want a Tokarev or Makarov to go with their loadouts.

I'll always vouch for TM pistols, because I have three and they're all absolutely fantastic in how they perform. Never let me down and do the job I need them to do, which is point blank to about 40m, to a high degree of accuracy and reliability. However, if you want a pistol that TM don't do, it's not the end of the world. I'm considering a WE Browning Hi-Power, because I think it's a great firearm and TM don't do one.

At the end of the day, unless you're planning on sniping, you probably won't use your sidearm that much anyway, so go with what you like the design of over "this is the best pistol". It's why I don't have a hi-capa and don't use my mk23 as a sidearm; sure they're theoretically better than my 1911 and p226, but they're not a 1911 or p226 (and hell, I am a sniper, so I do use my pistol all the damn time :P)

32 minutes ago, LiamT said:

I'm sorry I asked

Don't be sorry

ask away and don't be offended if people give you a bit of stick, I was of the understanding that that's how people generally get on. If you are particularly thin skinned then I suggest you use the search button  first to save your embarrassment,

I'm not cliquey I don't like anyone.

as for wind age come back and join in, don't risk falling of that high horse and bruising your ego

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Impulse said:

A guy I skirmish with loves the more Eastern style of weapon (primarily Russian), so he doesn't go for any TM pistols because TM typically does more "western" style of pistol.

Does he wish they performed like a TM? Sure.

Would they ever consider getting a TM? No, because they love the aesthetics of their Russian kit and want a Tokarev or Makarov to go with their loadouts.

this is the same point i'm trying to make. it's why i run the WE makarov and absolutely love it. i just won't lie and say it doesn't vent gas after 4 shots in  winter or that the hop didn't need tweaking to lift .3's.

of course i'd love tm to make a makarov, and i'd buy it, although i'd still run the WE in the warmer weather because i preferr the feel of a metal gun.

bought a We ct25 purely as a joke gun, turns out the joke was it's actually really good.

however if what i wanted was a glock/1911 for all round general use, i'd buy a tm, as evidenced by the fact that i did get a hicapa, and when the mood strikes me to run pistol only that's the gun i'll run.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Win Dage said:

You guys are supposed to have all the knowledge!!The lads only trying to find enough confidence and conviction to let go of his hard earnt money.Ive seen a lot of this on here and I gotta tell you that you,re a bunch of rude cunts,yeah,admin you can delete my account,no skin off my back,take you heads out of each others arseholes,cliquey cunts.

TWAT

(Prob bought a WE Hi-Capa & blames everyone else for his monumental fuck up😭)

Back to business 

I own 5 gbb pistols and one mk23

they are all Tm or a version of

i have full Airsoft masterpiece hicapa, built from parts as they came on sale.

a warmed over Tm/Airsoft masterpiece hybrid

a stock Tm gold match

none are used for skirmishing but are my competition pistols and I will generally use one of the modified    Pistols with the Tm as a backup.

i built the Airsoft masterpiece from scratch to provide me with the knowledge and confidence to strip and maintain and more importantly replace broken parts that could happen at any time regardless of servicing (because they only break when you really need them). But is it better than a stock Tm gold match? Truthfully only in my mind, but that's the only way it needs to be to make me happy and offset that I wasted a small fortune building what I wanted.

the gold match doesn't feel anything like my other 2 to shoot as the weight distribution is different and I generally use my hybrid the most. That doesn't mean they perform any better but I believe that I do with them.

the g34 is for when I want to undo all my training/ muscle memory with a hicapa (yes I'm that stupid/easily bored) and i shouldn't do it. But hey ho I do it anyway.

glocks are much more tempermental and sensitive generally to aftermarket modifications. That doesn't mean they can't be made to be good but I can't be bothered to waste my time on an inferior system for competition shooting.

that said I skirmish with a Tm g17 because  they are the easiest to use, lack anything to snag on kit,and the trigger whilst being suboptimal for competition contains the safety so requires zero thought when grabbing it quickly and trying to engage a target that is trying to shoot back and being a Tm it works 

If you don't know what you want a tm g17 cannot be beaten, they are as common as muck boring to look at stock and the trigger feels like a trampoline but just like the real thing there is nothing better.

1 hour ago, osteoshot said:

Don't be sorry

ask away and don't be offended if people give you a bit of stick, I was of the understanding that that's how people generally get on. If you are particularly thin skinned then I suggest you use the search button  first to save your embarrassment,

I'm not cliquey I don't like anyone.

Nah I get that, I'm not thin skinned I just never really had anyone talk to me about stuff so it just came off as though I'd upset someone, no worries anyway I guess I'm off to buy a TM glock then.

So now I have given you the benefit of my experience with pistols (I won't  mention the other brands I have used or the two types of CO2 pistols I have used because I think they are inferior to TM and I would not consider another brand for a pistol). Obviously you can think( f*ck that cliquey tool) and repeat the errors myself and others have made before they got to the same conclusion as me.

As I said before that would be more fun and I imagine that would actually go down quite well, then you can join in the jovial piss taking or "cliquey c****ness" depending how you wish to view it

and don't any of you cliquey c**** like this comment you can all f**k off

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.