do People Take Milsims Too Seriously ?

superwok

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

36 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i suppose i did walk into that.

in fairness it's not just m4 stocks on ak's i dislike, it's m4 stocks on anything that isn't an ar platform.

the buffer tube is a cludge to get around the fact the ar design means you can't do a proper folder, if you can have a proper folder then have a proper folder.

I had one on my pp19, I found it fussy, over complicated, prone to snagging and feel it’s more suited as a dmr stock. Apart from that I loved it haha

and now I feel suitably off track

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

I had one on my pp19, I found it fussy, over complicated, prone to snagging and feel it’s more suited as a dmr stock. Apart from that I loved it haha

and now I feel suitably off track

that is a fair criticism, don't have a pp19 but i'd probably just stick with the good ol' triangle folder.

i do plan on getting a pt5 for the e&l because the romanian style stock is awful (for all the same reasons the real one is awful), but it'll be a case of set and forget.

Guest Airsoft J2
On 29/06/2020 at 15:06, Groot said:

I have played airsoft for many years and played a vast range of airsoft games from carnage mag dumping to dragged out weekend mil sim games. 

So I am quite comfortable saying that proper milsim games are not airsoft and should be taken seriously.

At the same time, these have been some of the most boring games I have ever attended. 
You need to be playing against an opfor that is made up entirely of actors/staff, not other players. It just doesn't work when both sides want to have fun, while role-playing. Storyline works for about 30mins and then just totally falls apart. You also have the issue that in "most" situations. Airsoft at night, sucks. 

The milsim games where it is broken down into smaller engagements. Now they work and they need the right amount of being taken seriously or it becomes a farce. 

This is a really interesting view. I’m increasingly interested in event design. I’ve mulled over the relative benefits of playing against a semi-controlled or totally controlled OPFOR.

I’m a big fan of semi-managed games, rather than having a free for all- that’s when it goes to brown stuff!

3 hours ago, Airsoft J2 said:

I’m a big fan of semi-managed games, rather than having a free for all- that’s when it goes to brown stuff

I think that sums up a lot of the challenges of running a milsim although I disagree with the other poster that they are not Airsoft. I understand not everyone will appreciate that it's not a constant 24hr battle but rather an event that builds up to a crescendo much like any good film...

I think a lot of the issues people face are generally caused by the management or lack thereof of the different sides... if each side is given objectives which are regularly updated and a reasonable commander you suddenly lose the sense of standing around doing nothing and instead you are a part of a team working towards an objective even if it is just being on stag. unfortunately this requires a very good DS team who are really on the ball which tend to be a minority... certainly not something that can just be thrown together.

anyway that's my thoughts on it. With regards to the OP, I think the answer is yes and no... they just require a different mindset and milsims tend to have a little less flexibility with the set objectives and greater team work that is sometimes required.

19 hours ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

I think that sums up a lot of the challenges of running a milsim although I disagree with the other poster that they are not Airsoft. I understand not everyone will appreciate that it's not a constant 24hr battle but rather an event that builds up to a crescendo much like any good film...

What I mean by it not being airsoft, is that it is mostly redundant what you use to play the game.
As long as it is gun shape and bonus if it makes a noise or is able to signal a hit on a target. 

I would say for Milsim, airsoft is the cheapest way to achieve this but miles away from being the best.

The Milsim games where I have been on, mostly involved sitting for ages watching the Opfo. Wishing my rifle could range them.

This could be fixed with laser markers MILES gear for a truly immersive outing.
Even some of the cheaper commercial options, would give you that a more realistic range.
It's like when you go to a woodland game and you see bbs falling at your feet. How many times have you stood up and just waved at the guy desperately trying to rain in shots. This but 100% worse when you might only get to shoot a mag the whole weekend. 

What I have experienced in the proper weekend Milsim games is a lot of walking, lots of time consuming filler tasks, no real idea of the story line after a few hours, hours of watching with optics. Followed by a tiny firefight at the end of the first day and then usually one early the following morning, for them day break feels. 
While I am sure entirely realistic, the airsoft guns were not the important part of the event.

Which is why i again say, I would not call it an airsoft event. 

Now if you are classing the Stirling Catterick or CHD games as Milsim, then we are talking about different things.
They are more structured story lined airsoft skirmish weekend. Their best ones are when they are further broken down into different missions for the whole site, not just 24hrs of town building hoping. 

I still stand by Airsoft at night sucking for the 99% who don't have NODs :P 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.