Spartan117gw Arrested

Super64

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

https://abc7.com/national-guard-imposter-gregory-wong-california/6227824/

WTAF 🤔

Anyone who doesn’t know him, Gregory Wong (Spartan117gw) is a bit of a name in the U.S. airsoft/firearms community. He has a number of YouTube videos and has worked with some big names in the airsoft and firearms world such as Travis Haley, Garand Thumb and Airsoft G.I. God only knows what he was thinking.

Damn... he never struck me as the 'complete and utter moron' type, having said that I've never really liked the guy, he has an arrogant superiority complex that comes through from time to time in his videos. 

I suspect we;re eventually gonna hear that he was doing what he was doing to stand in solidarity with the national guard. 

Either was, stupid move on his part.

I believe hes ex military but yeh bad bad bad decision making process

I'm just looking into this case a little bit.. and while I can put zero stock in this as it is literally a youtube comment...   I could totally buy it at this point in time - the case does sound like there is an element of something not quite right upstairs going on here:

I knew Greg from my old Airsoft store I used to hang out at (AEX in Torrance, CA) I remember him talking with someone about him being discharged from the military for a Section 8. This might be an example of that section 8??

A section 8 is a discharge from the US armed forces for being mentally unfit for duty. Remember though, that's a youtube comment and means nothing.. however if it is true I would imagine the follow up reporting on the story would likely dig it up and mention it. Also I doubt being sectioned 8 categorises you as 'insane' or some other gradient of that meaning, perhaps you could get discharged on those grounds for depression or anxiety? though i don't know the fact of the matter.

I’m sure California in general and Los Angeles in particular have quite strict firearms laws. If he’s cutting about with an AR-15 “loaded to the max” as they’re reporting, he could be in deep, deep do do.

Not only that but if the reporting is true, having a 'ghost' gun (no serial) is illegal in all states and very serious.

I haven't seen any of his YT content but I predict he'll be off air for a while...

Mankind is jumping head first into the drain.

Wouldn't surprise me if he used the fact that he's asian to pull some funny shit.

23 hours ago, Super64 said:

I’m sure California in general and Los Angeles in particular have quite strict firearms laws. If he’s cutting about with an AR-15 “loaded to the max” as they’re reporting, he could be in deep, deep do do.

The rifle he was carrying was made on a ghost home milled reciever and was non california compliant. He may have been arrested for impersonation but he will be going down for more than that. 

Edit: my source for that is a friend of his who knew his gun was non compliant. He made a video talking about the situation but has since taken it down probably because he incriminated himself.

• Supporters

Whatever his intentions were, the fact that he's been making ghost guns, in a country/state that you can legitimately own most weapon types if your prepared to jump through a few "legal hoops" etc, says a lot about his mindset.

Some have said he's a virtual ambassador for Airsoft over there, no wonder everybody's doing their best to distance themselves from him now, clearly he was a timebomb waiting to happen, thankfully on this occasion no one got hurt & his monster ego gave him away .

As for why he was out there apparently him and 2 other guys were guarding a friends shop. His friends had the bright idea to leave their gear in the car until they needed it though.  Please take what I say with a pinch of salt. I only  got to watch the video once before it was taken down and my information may be misremembered. but the police have confirmed he was carrying an illegal assault rifle. Others are saying the pistol he was carrying was non compliant too due to mag capacity but I have no conformation on that bit.

• Supporters
23 hours ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

theres no doubt Magpul and the other firearm companies he speaks for will drop him, and the airsoft companies may very well do the same. He will be losing all his firearms and right to own a firearm, so thats all gone too. As my guys over at "A Very Serious Airsoft Podcast" said - "the best case scenario is that he was just very stupid."

According to Travis Haley's insta they're "helping" him. If that means legal assistance or what I'm not sure but yeah...dumb AF.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Lozart said:

According to Travis Haley's insta they're "helping" him. If that means legal assistance or what I'm not sure but yeah...dumb AF.

Interesting. That may mean theres less to this than has been announced. If they havent dropped him immediately then it may be that things are grossly overstated and it may not be a huge deal compared to what everyone thinks.

Good news is that Ive seen very little in the news over him being an airsofter. A ton about him being a reenactor, but not an airsofter.

Maybe with his past 'service' he can claim 'diminished responsibility' for the incident but the ghost gun thing is going to be more serious I imagine.

Yeah Super64,  if the media latch on to the airsoft connection they can certainly bring a lot of 'bad press' on it.

4 minutes ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

Good news is that Ive seen very little in the news over him being an airsofter. A ton about him being a reenactor, but not an airsofter.

Ah, that's good to hear.

• Supporters
On 04/06/2020 at 14:51, Zarrin said:

I'm just looking into this case a little bit.. and while I can put zero stock in this as it is literally a youtube comment...   I could totally buy it at this point in time - the case does sound like there is an element of something not quite right upstairs going on here:

I knew Greg from my old Airsoft store I used to hang out at (AEX in Torrance, CA) I remember him talking with someone about him being discharged from the military for a Section 8. This might be an example of that section 8??

A section 8 is a discharge from the US armed forces for being mentally unfit for duty. Remember though, that's a youtube comment and means nothing.. however if it is true I would imagine the follow up reporting on the story would likely dig it up and mention it. Also I doubt being sectioned 8 categorises you as 'insane' or some other gradient of that meaning, perhaps you could get discharged on those grounds for depression or anxiety? though i don't know the fact of the matter.

Section 8 isn't valid anymore. Sounds like it could just be standard rumour mill bollocks.

8 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Ah, that's good to hear.

Yeah, in a selfishly ironic kind of way i'm glad he was out there with an actual firearm and not one of his rifs - having said that, he'd be in way less trouble if that had been the case.

5 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Section 8 isn't valid anymore. Sounds like it could just be standard rumour mill bollocks.

Indeed, though I suppose whatever took it's place could broadly be called a Section 8 by the masses because of pop culture; I think I only know the reference because of Full Metal Jacket.

I agree though, BS until proven otherwise... still not seen any real follow up reporting on the case.

• Supporters

Apparently he's out on bail (which was set at $50k).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.