Clear Coat or Not?

LiamT

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I have begun the process of spraying my ICS m4 as I have been to a few skirmishs and no longer need it to have the blue rail  I have bought some krylon fusion black which is on its way the only part of my m4 that is blue is the front rail system so I took it off and intend to spray it black when the paint gets here, I just want to know, should I buy a matte clear spray as well to go over the top of it or will it be ok with 3-4 coats of black??

So I have begun the process of spraying my ICS m4 as I have been to a few skirmishs and no longer need it to have the blue rail  I have bought some krylon fusion black which is on its way the only part of my m4 that is blue is the front rail system so I took it off and intend to spray it black when the paint gets here, I just want to know, should I buy a matte clear spray as well to go over the top of it or will it be ok with 3-4 coats of black??

Clear coat will give another layer of protection and make it it much more scratch resistant.

Have you tried stripping the blue paint with anything?

to back up what CrackCommando said, the first gun i painted, i used a clear coat afterwards and that paint has lasted way longer then anything i've painted without it.

• Head Moderator

@LiamT  I have merged your topics, please (re)read forum rules, no duplicate topics.

22 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Clear coat will give another layer of protection and make it it much more scratch resistant.

Have you tried stripping the blue paint with anything?

I tried it with some paint stripper but took way too long to do one small square so it was easier to just get black spray 

19 minutes ago, LiamT said:

I tried it with some paint stripper but took way too long to do one small square so it was easier to just get black spray 

I have used nail polish remover containing acetone in the past and that worked wonders (got to be carefull if removing paint from plastic parts as acetone can melt or soften some plastics). Not necessarily to remove all the the paint, but to take enough of the two tone off prior to priming and then spraying it black.

1 hour ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

I have used nail polish remover containing acetone in the past and that worked wonders (got to be carefull if removing paint from plastic parts as acetone can melt or soften some plastics). Not necessarily to remove all the the paint, but to take enough of the two tone off prior to priming and then spraying it black.

yeah its polymer rail section as I intend to replace it with metal, but everywhere is out of stock at the moment for what I want, so I couldn't really use nail polish remover so, I think I'm going to take some sandpaper, sand it so its rough not to get off the paint just so its rough for paint to stick then paint it with 3-4 coats, ordered some sealer which will be here tomorrow so adding that on that should be 4-5 coats which should be okay as I take much precaution with it as I don't want to break my ICS as someone gifted it to me 

41 minutes ago, LiamT said:

yeah its polymer rail section as I intend to replace it with metal, but everywhere is out of stock at the moment for what I want, so I couldn't really use nail polish remover so, I think I'm going to take some sandpaper, sand it so its rough not to get off the paint just so its rough for paint to stick then paint it with 3-4 coats, ordered some sealer which will be here tomorrow so adding that on that should be 4-5 coats which should be okay as I take much precaution with it as I don't want to break my ICS as someone gifted it to me 

That should be more than enough to do it.

29 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

That should be more than enough to do it.

yeah, just make sure to put many coats and I should be good haha, anyway thanks for your assistance! I know most already have full RIFs but I just love this m4 I didn't want to stop using it so I figured I'd ask and hope someone had knowledge!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.