Seeking Tips for Milsim Weapon Choice

Impulse

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys. I'm considering delving into milsim for the first time next year (not guaranteed, but considering), but weapon choice is something I'm not 100% clear on, so I wanted some opinions on the matter. I get that milsim loadouts and stuff can vary depending on the event, but looking for a little general guidance.

Now, I know what NATO and RUSFOR sorts of loadouts would be and could easily do NATO, and I have some idea on OpFor stuff. However, I don't want to play boring ol' NATO; I want to play best faction: OpFor.

My main question is: would a VSR be an acceptable OpFor gun, or would I need to buy a faux/real wood stock to sell the more "random dude with a hunting rifle" vibe? I like my sniping and don't want to go out and buy an AK AEG for my "bad guy gun" and then have to play with an AEG for every milsim.

Also, sidearms. What constitutes an OpFor sidearm? To my knowledge, it'd be whatever they could get their hands on?

Double also, could a ghillie suit be considered OpFor?

Yes, I'm clueless and yes I want to keep being a snipy boi, even in milsim. :(

1 hour ago, Impulse said:

My main question is: would a VSR be an acceptable OpFor gun,

I would imagine it entirely depends on where the milsim  scenario is based.  personally I favour the SVD  

For example in the middle east I would imagine it would be fine, look at the gun markets in the Khyber pass they have all sorts of weapon due to the tumultuous history of the region I have seen rifle such as Martini Henry, various marks of lee enfields,  and kar98   just to name a few, so you could make the case for having a well used hunting rifle, add a cloth rap  etc etc. 

Hell if you look at the current conflict in Syria as an example you will see that the non-state actors have access to some advance weapon systems. All depends on how you sell it.    

Even if the scenario is based in Eastern Europe such as the conflict in Ukraine  you could most but the case forward   best thing you could do is have a look  at news, video or images of  conflict that are  Asymmetric warfare in nature and have a look at the combatants equipment. 

could a ghillie suit be considered OpFor?

I would are argue that it would have to have a home made vibe to not a professional manufacture some thing akin to the early ghillie of the first world war one on but that my personal preference.

OpFor sidearm

Any thing of sino-soviet manufacture e.g. tokarev pistol, makarov or a  Škorpion vz. 61 just to name a few. 

I can only offer advice based on my own experience, especially from overseas. I'm assuming you want the generic Terrorist load out rather than going full blown ISIS? 

Personally, I'd go anything former Eastern Bloc for handguns. Makarovs, TT33s and CZ75's would fit the bill nicely. Maybe a Browning Hi Power if you can get your hands on one. 

No reason why you can't make your own ghillie suit, it would be more authentic than just buying one. A popular way of doing it is strips of a burlap sack tied onto a garment. 

As for rifle choice, Druganovs are king, I've seen a handful of MAS-36's and Lee Enfields overseas, but you could get away with a generic, wood stock bolt action rifle. 

Hopefully this helps. 

Mac 

Wouldn't worry too much about a sniper rifle. Could always wrap a bit of scrim around the rifle if it looks too operator.

It's surprising the weapons that turn up in differing conflicts. Remember one of the photos of the Russian baked groups in Ossetia  had a guy with a Sako rifle.

Meanwhile you can find footage of fighters on both sides of the Syrian conflict with accuracy international rifles.  

As regards a pistol, WE seem to be close to finally releasing their MK3 Browning. Might be worth a look? 

40 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

I would are argue that it would have to have a home made vibe to not a professional manufacture some thing akin to the early ghillie of the first world war one on but that my personal preference.

38 minutes ago, Macv276 said:

No reason why you can't make your own ghillie suit, it would be more authentic than just buying one. A popular way of doing it is strips of a burlap sack tied onto a garment. 

My ghillie is the classic concealment vest with hessian attached to it and natural vegetation through the veggie loops, so I think that'd work.

44 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

Any thing of sino-soviet manufacture e.g. tokarev pistol, makarov or a  Škorpion vz. 61 just to name a few. 

41 minutes ago, Macv276 said:

Personally, I'd go anything former Eastern Bloc for handguns. Makarovs, TT33s and CZ75's would fit the bill nicely. Maybe a Browning Hi Power if you can get your hands on one. 

22 minutes ago, DerDer said:

It's surprising the weapons that turn up in differing conflicts. Remember one of the photos of the Russian baked groups in Ossetia  had a guy with a Sako rifle.

Meanwhile you can find footage of fighters on both sides of the Syrian conflict with accuracy international rifles.  

Reckon I could justify a 1911, as they're an older pistol that hasn't been in service for decades? Typically not a fan of the more eastern style pistols and I am a TM shill when it comes to pistols; they do mostly western styles.

Thanks for the responses guys. Not going to lie, I just really want to use my VSR in everything because I'm going to be HPAing it and it's a fantastic rifle platform. However, I do also want to do it right so I might get a faux wood stock for it when I do decide to try milsim.

I've only ever seen one place (gunman) specify weapon choice. For the most part its greens v tans, some people make more an effort with a "look" sure but its not reenactment focused like MSW over in the states. fwiw Legion Airsoft only allows torso ghillie suits, trousers must be team colour. 

Weapon/camo restrictions are usually on a site by site basis, sometimes even game by game. I don't think the majority of UK milsim sites care about the weapon side of things though, again, this can differ site to site. Check with where you're playing beforehand for the rules and if there's any doubt - ask! Better than showing up and being turned away because your rifle isn't correct or something.

Reckon I could justify a 1911, as they're an older pistol that hasn't been in service for decades? Typically not a fan of the more eastern style pistols and I am a TM shill when it comes to pistols; they do mostly western styles.

Yeah, think it would be a solid choice. Considering they were produced in countries from Argentina to Spain to the Philippines, plenty of options for sources.    

Quite a few have shown up in Syria. Part of the benefit is that they have been in service for so long, wouldn't arose suspicion.  

In a book on the covert CIA operations in Angola (In Search of enemies), the author mentions that the started supplying pistols in .45 ACP to one of the groups they support, 

largely because they got a good price on them. 

1 hour ago, Shaydee said:

Weapon/camo restrictions are usually on a site by site basis, sometimes even game by game. I don't think the majority of UK milsim sites care about the weapon side of things though, again, this can differ site to site. Check with where you're playing beforehand for the rules and if there's any doubt - ask! Better than showing up and being turned away because your rifle isn't correct or something.

That's good to hear. If I wanted to get a wooden stock, it looks like my best option would be to buy a third VSR (cyma one from taiwangun) and I've bought enough RIFs this year. Might be something for the future to complete the "I'm just a villager with a hunting rifle" look.

47 minutes ago, DerDer said:

Yeah, think it would be a solid choice. Considering they were produced in countries from Argentina to Spain to the Philippines, plenty of options for sources.    

Quite a few have shown up in Syria. Part of the benefit is that they have been in service for so long, wouldn't arose suspicion.  

In a book on the covert CIA operations in Angola (In Search of enemies), the author mentions that the started supplying pistols in .45 ACP to one of the groups they support, 

largely because they got a good price on them. 

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. When that many 1911s are made, you know some will get into the hands of insurgents and the like.

• Supporters

Your first post related to milsim, but your concerns are loadout based, to be fair most full on milsims tend to be more about following scenarios & military doctrine, some may be more specific on camos/colours worn by each side, usually solely for identification purposes, but very few will insist on specific weapons allowed.

The other games mentioned are stuff like the Vietnam or cold war games etc, but I wouldn't class those as milsim as such, they tend to be day events more akin to a themed skirmish day with a planned scenario to follow, without any shitting in bags or all night stags .

Don't get me wrong, getting a decent specific loadout is cool, but if it's hardcore milsim your after then your money might be better spent on more useful essentials, like bivi bags & jetboil etc.

What kinda games you aiming for ?

14 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Your first post related to milsim, but your concerns are loadout based, to be fair most full on milsims tend to be more about following scenarios & military doctrine, some may be more specific on camos/colours worn by each side, usually solely for identification purposes, but very few will insist on specific weapons allowed.

The other games mentioned are stuff like the Vietnam or cold war games etc, but I wouldn't class those as milsim as such, they tend to be day events more akin to a themed skirmish day with a planned scenario to follow, without any shitting in bags or all night stags .

Don't get me wrong, getting a decent specific loadout is cool, but if it's hardcore milsim your after then your money might be better spent on more useful essentials, like bivi bags & jetboil etc.

What kinda games you aiming for ?

Yeah, the military doctrine and stuff isn't so much of a concern and the other equipment I'm actually good for. Anything missing I have a great store locally that's run by some ex-forces guys so anything I'm missing on that front I'd go to them.

I don't think super hardcore is the kind of thing I would go for anyway, hence my preference of OpFor over NATO (and hunting "special forces" players is always fun). For me, it's mostly that I want to experience the more immersive side, but I don't want to creep into the territory where people are going to get mad at me for not being 100% serious-elite-tactical-operator-military-soldier-man. I won't lie, I've heard some pretty nasty stories of elitism, but to me it's still just a game. A more immersive game, like the various TTRPGs I play, but it's still a game and we're there to have fun.

• Supporters

There are a few sites/organisers that have a good mix of both styles, not too much bullshit & well thought out scenarios that need player input to work, but also a good handle on the everyday cheating/overkill etc that affects the average gameday.

what county are you in ?, might help guys recommend sites do what your looking for.

4 hours ago, Impulse said:

I don't think super hardcore is the kind of thing I would go for anyway, hence my preference of OpFor over NATO (and hunting "special forces" players is always fun). For me, it's mostly that I want to experience the more immersive side, but I don't want to creep into the territory where people are going to get mad at me for not being 100% serious-elite-tactical-operator-military-soldier-man. I won't lie, I've heard some pretty nasty stories of elitism, but to me it's still just a game. A more immersive game, like the various TTRPGs I play, but it's still a game and we're there to have fun.

tbh gunman has been mentioned once, but it does sound like a good place to start with either way... particularly the okto/descent side of things (may be slightly biased as I personally do enjoy them, especially the immersion side of things) they are split between Eversley in Hampshire and Tuddenham in Suffolk, and occasionally use other sites too.

as mentioned location will probably be a big part too, and there are other providers that will do just as good a job elsewhere in the country 👍

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

There are a few sites/organisers that have a good mix of both styles, not too much bullshit & well thought out scenarios that need player input to work, but also a good handle on the everyday cheating/overkill etc that affects the average gameday.

what county are you in ?, might help guys recommend sites do what your looking for.

East Sussex. Not a huge amount around here.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.