Who's Runs Li-fe or Li-ion Batteries?

Adenley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Could people share there experience using the above, how do they perform, what’s the best ones to buy, what rating do you use and do they have any issues using them?

I've got a mixture of both (7.4v Li-Po & 9.9v Li-Fe), but if I was buying new now, I would go for Li-Fe.   Li-Po's seem to be cheaper though.

With either, make sure you get a decent charger, which is far more important than the type of battery imo.

matt

How does your 9.9 compare to the 7.4? Obviously the LiFe batteries are safer only in the fact that they vent a gas rather then combust like the lipos.

of course the same amount of safety precautions should be taken with all batteries, and yeah wouldn’t take the risk with a cheap charger.

Was thinking about trying out a Li-ion. It only a DMR locked to semi and the trigger response on a 9.6v is surprisingly snappy, but they just won’t fit into the stock tube.

• 3 weeks later...

In use I don't really notice much difference, they are both batteries and do the job (for a snappy trigger i'm using a Gate Titan with the pre-cocking).  Li-Po's have better power density looking at the packs I have and came out cheaper (that may or may not have changed since I last bought any batteries, probably be 18 months + ago), so I'd get what ever fit's (as said, decent charger, which then should charge both Li-Po & Li-Fe).

m

LiFe are inherently less volatile than LiPo, but LiPo is very safe if you buy quality cells and use them properly - I.E. keep them at the correct voltages and balanced.

LiFe gives slightly odd voltages compared to the LiPo norms 7.4 & 11.1 in airsoft.

9.9v has it's uses for sure, easy trigger response and ROF upgrade without the big internal work for example.

TBH most AEGs running 450fps springs are happy on an 11.1v provided you don't have a speed gearset, so 17:1 max.

Will give great semi auto response

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lollingsgrad said:

want to use LIFE but they just don't have the shapes and sizes available. I like that they're less prone to burst into flames and that they like to be stored fully charged like a NIMH. 

i was going to use them but cant find one to fit into my stock tube so thats out the question, defientley going to run a Li-ion but choosing between shelling out 70 quid for a 7.4v  titan and a charger or trying nuprols range of Li-ion batterys which are only around 12 quid. mind you never seen a review or heard of anyone using them so it could be a good or a bad thing. 

• Supporters

I'm intrigued as to where the "Li-ion are safer than Li-Po" comes from. The issue with most Li-Po batteries as we know them is that they are in fact Lithium-Ion batteries in a more flexible casing (ie a polymer case) not actual Lithium-polymer batteries which use a different electrolyte which is more stable. Granted the hard shell of a traditional Li-ion makes it less prone to puncture but if it IS then it still goes up in just as spectacular fashion!

A Li-ion battery will go off like a Catherine Wheel if you somehow managed make them.  They don't have a memory effect like Li-Po's and the internal voltage protector help protect against killing the battery completely. I Believe the chemical composition is also slightly different 

Require slightly less maintenance than your average Li-Po but same principles should apply to them when it comes to storage and charging and care. 

Forget both, just get Titan's end of any issues

I use 1600Mah LIFEs. I really like them. They have a noticeable improvement in ROF over 7.4v. Dead reliable and good for use in rifles that would double cycle on semi with 11.1v lipos but feel sluggish on semi with 7.4v Lipos. 

• Supporters
On 04/07/2020 at 21:04, MadMole said:

Forget both, just get Titan's end of any issues

Titans as in Titan Power batteries? They're Li-ion which is the whole point of the thread.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.