Many and Cheap Vs Few and Expensive

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Just make sure one of them is a MP5.

i do need an mp5 in my life, it's on the list, i just don't know which one i want to go for....

3 hours ago, EDcase said:

The diminishing returns curve is true at the extreme expensive end but not in the average price range.

For example, a CYMA AK might shoot 90% as well as an LCT or E&L for a quarter of the price.

Compare that to cars or bikes.  That would be equivalent to a Skoda being almost as fast as a BMW or Audi.

Much of the price in a RIF is the quality of materials and appearance rather than actual performance.

it depends how you judge it i suppose.

my jg might be as good at the whole plastic slinging thing as my e&l, but i won't deny the latter is prettier and feels nicer.

I tend to buy cheap or boneyard guns then upgrade them. My main gun is built up from a gearbox and receiver set and has been getting upgraded and evolved for years. By now that's had a lot of money sunk into it. My other 3 rifles were all boneyard guns. One was built up to be an above average loaner gun and the other two I'm in the process building into a dedicated support gun and a DMR. Apart from my old KSC raffica all of my pistols have been cheap to mid ranged, a STTI MK23, WE Sig 226 and a KWC 1911 Railgun

12 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i do need an mp5 in my life, it's on the list, i just don't know which one i want to go for....

Don't want to part you with too much of your hard earned cash, but I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmHFjMKnAK4   

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, Zarrin said:

Don't want to part you with too much of your hard earned cash, but I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmHFjMKnAK4   

i was thinking either trying my hand at getting the vfc gbb version to work properly, or maybe sell a kidney and get the systema.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i was thinking either trying my hand at getting the vfc gbb version to work properly, or maybe sell a kidney and get the systema.

From what ive seen the vfc gbb  looks and feels amazing but runs like crap unless you put a lightened bolt in it.

Edit: It seems they have already released an updated version. I am familiar with the first batch so my info is probably outdated. 

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, HuttArmouries said:

From what ive seen the vfc gbb  looks and feels amazing but runs like crap unless you put a lightened bolt in it. 

yep, pretty much what i was considering.

this is a longer term plan though, i have other guns higher up on my "list" :P

TM needs to man up and release a recoil MP5.

11 minutes ago, lukeB said:

I had a spare pdik in the cupboard so I now have a dmr MP5SD 😂

I'm up to be adopted btw, so I can find HPA kits in cupboards too :D

• Supporters

37 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

I still want an MP5 but I think I'd rather pick up a cheap CYMA or JG with the A3 stock, torch forend and run it as a cheapy fun gun

This is also a valid option, although i do have my aksu for low cost laughs

11 minutes ago, Skara said:

I'm up to be adopted btw, so I can find HPA kits in cupboards too :D

Me too, only have the 3 :(

1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

I still want an MP5 but I think I'd rather pick up a cheap CYMA or JG with the A3 stock, torch forend and run it as a cheapy fun gun

Yup - even though I linked that new ICS vid, ^ this is the way i would go 👍

2 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

Tis on the list right after the sniper rifle im getting next XD

On 27/05/2020 at 13:50, Skara said:

Few and expensive for sure. [...] By expensive I don't mean the base price of the gun, but the overall cost of the base + upgrades.

I'm not a hoarder and I hate having unused stuff, so I'd rather pimp the fuck out of my current guns than buying loads of new ones.

This is basically it for me. I can't see the point in having 5-10 guns that are all functionally identical (I don't mean "they all shoot 6mm BBs", I mean "they're all bog-standard AEG assault rifles") and also less well-made then they could be, when I could have 2-4 guns that are really incredible. You can only use a handful of guns (it's a ball-ache even to bring more than a handful to a skirmish) when you play, so why would you have a less good gun in your hands in exchange for two more in the car, or more likely at the back of the cupboard at home?

I've sold virtually all my horrifically expensive "collector" pistols and eaten massive losses, and sold all my basic AEGs. What I have now is basically one of each type of gun, each highly upgraded: AEG SMG (EVO3A1), AR (NGRS), LMG and DMR; GBB pistols, SMG and AR; HPA BASR. It's the maximum I can justify - one of each role. I'm also now operating a strict one-in one-out policy to try to avoid the accumulation of yet more very expensive toys.

On 27/05/2020 at 14:12, Shaydee said:

Few and expensive for me, though sprinkle some cheaper projects in amongst that (like my clone mk23, a KJW mark 1 I just picked up and maybe a boneyard project).

I've just picked up a cheap project too. It's definitely more fun to mess around with a pistol that cost me £70 than one that cost me £700.

47 minutes ago, PureSilver said:

This is basically it for me. I can't see the point in having 5-10 guns that are all functionally identical (I don't mean "they all shoot 6mm BBs", I mean "they're all bog-standard AEG assault rifles") and also less well-made then they could be, when I could have 2-4 guns that are really incredible. You can only use a handful of guns (it's a ball-ache even to bring more than a handful to a skirmish) when you play, so why would you have a less good gun in your hands in exchange for two more in the car, or more likely at the back of the cupboard at home?

Same thing I do, and it's mainly due to doing milsims for me.

Some events are not hpa friendly and others prefer opfor style guns.

Sniper : SRS

DMR: m4 with dual source Co2/hpa.  Would be more of a mk12 if I can find a kit 

Full auto HPA : Wolverine MTW 

Aeg : Krytac Mk18 (backup gun), LCT Ak for some opfor games.  Both @370fps with titans etc

Only gun I have due to collection/personal attachment is the MP5 which I bought boneyard.

If I was only doing skirmish games, the SRS and MTW is all I would use.

I think it depends. I'm generally a fan of "few and expensive", but I do also have two cheapo guns which work well too. For me though, I play sniper or dmr, so those generally require a lot of time, care and money if you really want to be serious about it.

• Supporters
On 27/05/2020 at 16:39, EDcase said:

The diminishing returns curve is true at the extreme expensive end but not in the average price range.

For example, a CYMA AK might shoot 90% as well as an LCT or E&L for a quarter of the price.

Compare that to cars or bikes.  That would be equivalent to a Skoda being almost as fast as a BMW or Audi.

Much of the price in a RIF is the quality of materials and appearance rather than actual performance.

The law of diminishing returns is always true no matter where you start from. That's why it's a law.

Value for money on the other hand is rather subjective. Yes a CYMA may well be almost as good as an LCT/E&L in terms of usable performance but it's only money well spent if that's your only criteria. If you want performance AND looks then the decision making process changes. Which is where the car analogy comes in again, if you want a 3 series BMW then no amount of "but the Skoda is just as quick and costs less" will sway you (personally I think they're both gopping but there you go).

24 minutes ago, Lozart said:

The law of diminishing returns is always true no matter where you start from. That's why it's a law.

Value for money on the other hand is rather subjective. Yes a CYMA may well be almost as good as an LCT/E&L in terms of usable performance but it's only money well spent if that's your only criteria. If you want performance AND looks then the decision making process changes. Which is where the car analogy comes in again, if you want a 3 series BMW then no amount of "but the Skoda is just as quick and costs less" will sway you (personally I think they're both gopping but there you go).

Very true that the 'feel' and finish is subjective which is why I left it out of the criteria.  The actual BB flinging ability is the only quantifiable trait compared to price.

Can't account for people spending stupid money on stupid things like gold AKs 😆

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Very true that the 'feel' and finish is subjective which is why I left it out of the criteria.  The actual BB flinging ability is the only quantifiable trait compared to price.

But that's the whole point isn't it? You don't just buy things for their performance, what it looks like is just as important for a lot of people so those subjective parts will always come into play. As far as "quantifiable" goes, fit and finish, reliability and ergonomics are all easily measured things. Outright performance is easily improved upon but basic tolerances in the body or flaws in the design aren't. I would suggest that the FPS/RoF/range are fairly low down on the list of things I look for as long as it isn't just basically terrible because I know I can fix that (although that is also the one area where the law of diminishing returns really does kick in). For example, my CYMA EBR was...OK in terms of performance when I got it. I bought it because I wanted an M14 EBR, the G&G one was too pricey and the gas one was too impractical and lacked performance. I've since improved the FPS, range and accuracy fairly easily and for not a lot of money but it doesn't actually get used all that much because at the end of the day it's still an unbalanced, long, heavy beast of a gun. I won't get rid of it though because it looks great and performs well! Thing is, had I actually been able to get to grips with it in a store before I bought it online I would very probably not have bought it because it is just so unwieldy!

• Supporters

the feel argument has a lot of weight to it, we aren't generally willing to sacrifice everything including feel and looks in the name of performance.

for example g&g's speedsoft abominations are a case in point where the design has been made entirely without compromise towards making them as practical for effeciently slinging plastic downrange as possible and yet the result is something very few regular airsofters would want to buy.

the same applies for example with a polymer bodied g3 or m249, lots of folk would dislike them because they don't feel right, regardless of the fact that a lighter gun is better practically speaking than a heavier counterpart.

i do agree with lozart's philosophy that once you're happy enough with the internals of guns, you tend to preferr exterior quality over performance purely because you know the latter is something you can sort out.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.