Galaxy G31 Advice Required for Newbie Sniper

Spartan09

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, as the title suggests, im looking for a few pointers regarding my new Galaxy G31. 

1. I would like to upgrade the hop unit to an R hop,  is this possible, and what parts would i need?

2. I read that the G31 shares a lot of internals with an A&K SVD,  is this true?

3. I bought some bulldog .36g bbs when i bought the gun, but i have since heard mixed reviews about their quality.  Will these BBs work, or will they break the gun?

4. Are there any pre-made barrel spacers on the market? Or will i have to make my own?

4a. If i have to make my own, what is the best material to make them from?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Spartan09

3 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

Hi guys, as the title suggests, im looking for a few pointers regarding my new Galaxy G31. 

1. I would like to upgrade the hop unit to an R hop,  is this possible, and what parts would i need?

2. I read that the G31 shares a lot of internals with an A&K SVD,  is this true?

3. I bought some bulldog .36g bbs when i bought the gun, but i have since heard mixed reviews about their quality.  Will these BBs work, or will they break the gun?

4. Are there any pre-made barrel spacers on the market? Or will i have to make my own?

4a. If i have to make my own, what is the best material to make them from?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Spartan09

First of all. Really terrible choice for a new sniper rifle. It has lots of inherent design issues which hamper it being a decent platform. I am surprised you didn't find this when you researched before purchasing.

1) Possible? With great difficulty. Though it might need some fabrication. It uses an LMG style hop unit which is not conducive to accuracy. The nub is turned vertical and uses a round contact patch. You'll need to drill out the hop unit to use standard/flat/r hop nubs. There is an upgraded hop unit which is the PPS/Airsoft Pro model, but it suffers from the same problem. 

If you don't want to Dremel anything out then I guess a Maple Leaf Macaron style bucking MIGHT work depending on if the nub makes contact in the exactly right part of the bucking. But again, it wont probably wont be amazing accuracy without modifying the hop unit as explained above.

2) Yes to an extent. 

3) Bulldog bbs are bloody terrible. I couldn't say if they would break the gun. That and I am guessing they are the black/grey ones. You wouldn't be able to see where they are ending up anyway. 

4) Nope. You'll need to make some. The Receiver is cavernous. 

-------------------------------------

The inner barrel in it is tremendously long, but it only has the cylinder volume of an SVD which is much smaller then lets say a VSR. You will be severely under-volumed for each shot so lifting any heavy bbs will likely be inaccurate at range as the bb has started to slow down before it's left the barrel. 

There are only a couple of fixes to this inherent design flaw. 

A) Much shorter precision inner barrel. Say 300-400mm and hope that the bbs don't hit the inside of the outer barrel. 

B) HPA/CO2 Bolt - HPA tapping it would ignore the cylinder volume capabilities as the HPA valve will deliver whatever volume is needed to keep pushing the BB out. 

The CO2 bolt is a common mod. I have heard it can be a leaky POS, FPS is up around 600 FPS on a fresh bulb which means it will not be allowed on any site in the UK (And illegal). It also needs modification to get the trigger to line up. 

Personally, and I am not trying to be unkind, I would return it if possible and get something that works. 

14 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I would return it if possible and get something that works. 

THIS

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.