We G17 Gen 4 - Which Magazines?

Liam1992

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all, 

So I've come to the conclusion I need at least 1, perhaps 2, additional magazines for the G17. 

As I understand it, the TM & WE Magazines are both compatible. I've only experience with the WE variant, so wondering what the opinions are on each, if there is a preference at all, that is. 

They are compatible-ish. WE are based on the TM design but the tolerances are not the same. I went the other direction to you i had a TM Glock 17 and bought a few  WE mags to save some money. only a few quid and not worth it the WE performance was notifiable worse than the TM mags. I have generally found you are better sticking to the same brand unless you are prepared to do mods. 

If I remember rightly, WE uses flat gas routers whilst TM has curved - this is down to the nozzles being flat and curved respectively and will cause FPS inconsistencies if you use one with the other. Not sure if WE have changed their system lately, but pretty sure it's still the case.

1 minute ago, Shaydee said:

If I remember rightly, WE uses flat gas routers whilst TM has curved - this is down to the nozzles being flat and curved respectively and will cause FPS inconsistencies if you use one with the other. Not sure if WE have changed their system lately, but pretty sure it's still the case.

This is correct. The latest changes are only for the MOS models as far as I know. 

1 minute ago, E21A said:

This is correct. The latest changes are only for the MOS models as far as I know. 

Brilliant, cheers for the confirmation :) I know I'm going to have to swap out the routers for when my AAP-01 shows up in the coming months because that's using a flat nozzle as default.

Guys, thanks for the all the responses. I'll stick with the WE ones then! 

Next query, I've noticed a retailer selling both ABS and Metal Magazines; the ABS is £1 more expensive so barely any difference in cost, has anyone experience of both? I assume the valves and all that are the same so is there a preference? 

My magazines, to date, have all been metal (I didn't even know there was an ABS option till I started researching). 

3 hours ago, Liam1992 said:

Guys, thanks for the all the responses. I'll stick with the WE ones then! 

Next query, I've noticed a retailer selling both ABS and Metal Magazines; the ABS is £1 more expensive so barely any difference in cost, has anyone experience of both? I assume the valves and all that are the same so is there a preference? 

My magazines, to date, have all been metal (I didn't even know there was an ABS option till I started researching). 

It's a relatively new thing. in theory the plastic mags should be more efficient as they are poorer thermal conductors compared to metal  so less cool down. 

Any ABS mags I’ve tried or seen used just don’t work as well as alloy mags.

I haven't disassembled one, it may be they have thick walls so not as much gas capacity, I don’t know

5 hours ago, BigStew said:

It's a relatively new thing. in theory the plastic mags should be more efficient as they are poorer thermal conductors compared to metal  so less cool down. 

The cooldown is caused by the expansion of the gas, so insulating the gas chamber won't help. If anything it will reduce efficiency & performance by making it harder for it to warm back up & recover after shooting.

The main benefit I can see to plastic is it'll reduce wear on the magazine catch.

I have a polymer gas mag that I have used on my WE g17 and 19X.

Short answer is they are total rubbish. Big benefit is they are much lighter, but the gas efficiency is appalling. When your Gas mag feels really cold this is actually a result of the mag absorbing heat from your hands and the surroundings (kind of the opposite of a heat sink in a PC). This actually increases the temperature of the gas in the mag reducing cool down effect. The insulating properties of the polymer mags mean this doesn’t happen.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.