Bringing an If to UK

hundred_weight

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I just so happen to be going on holiday to Hong Kong soon and was looking at procuring a RIF there. I do not know if my UKARA membership is active or not, and even if it was, it would expire before my return. So my question is: would it be acceptable for me to paint the RIF in the bright colours exceeding 51% of the surface area of the RIF, and bring it back in my suitcase? The airline's webpage states that I would need to inform them of this as it is an IF, though I don't believe we need documentation to buy an IF or import an IF, just for a RIF. At what point would someone question say "that's RIF, not an IF, and you need a defence"?

5 minutes ago, hundred_weight said:

Hi all,

I just so happen to be going on holiday to Hong Kong soon and was looking at procuring a RIF there. I do not know if my UKARA membership is active or not, and even if it was, it would expire before my return. So my question is: would it be acceptable for me to paint the RIF in the bright colours exceeding 51% of the surface area of the RIF, and bring it back in my suitcase? The airline's webpage states that I would need to inform them of this as it is an IF, though I don't believe we need documentation to buy an IF or import an IF, just for a RIF. At what point would someone question say "that's RIF, not an IF, and you need a defence"?

You've nailed it imo - as long as it's very clearly an IF, which is over half the gun painted in a bright colour, you should have no issues *legally*

You might have issues with procedure, however, as bringing anything sensitive like that into an airport needs to be done properly - keep some documentation, receipt etc, call ahead to the airline for exact instructions on what to do. Good luck!

5 hours ago, hundred_weight said:

Hi all,

You’re dealing with separate issues here.

Painting it into an IF would make it VCRA compliant and you would would not need to justify skirmisher status.

Customs would still have an interest as you will be importing a new item so should declare it - show the receipt etc and be willing to pay import VAT

The airline need to be made aware that you have an IF in your luggage.  There is nothing wrong with bringing it this way, provided it is not against their policy and that you notify them properly.

Failing to do so is likely to result with different problems when a gun shape in your luggage shows up on X-ray 

• Supporters

You can take it apart and then it's not an IF anymore. Parts can be imported (I would still notify the airline).

Making it two-tone also works but worse to convert it back to RIF. Which you can do because you are an airsofter even if your easiest proof has expired.

4 hours ago, Samurai said:

You can take it apart and then it's not an IF anymore. Parts can be imported (I would still notify the airline).

Making it two-tone also works but worse to convert it back to RIF. Which you can do because you are an airsofter even if your easiest proof has expired.

I have a feeling that this might not be kosher, I recall checking another post where an airsofter from HK was looking to move here, and he posed the question of taking apart his RIFs first. I believe that Tommikka said that this would likely amount to smuggling and piss customs off. If I were to go about it that way, I would send part of it back. The issue I suppose is that the airsoft gun I'm interested in has a stamped steel receiver, so I'm concerned that it'll look very gun-like no matter what I do. I'm not sure it would be ok for me to take it apart, but still have all the parts on me as I enter the UK.

2 hours ago, hundred_weight said:

I have a feeling that this might not be kosher, I recall checking another post where an airsofter from HK was looking to move here, and he posed the question of taking apart his RIFs first. I believe that Tommikka said that this would likely amount to smuggling and piss customs off. If I were to go about it that way, I would send part of it back. The issue I suppose is that the airsoft gun I'm interested in has a stamped steel receiver, so I'm concerned that it'll look very gun-like no matter what I do. I'm not sure it would be ok for me to take it apart, but still have all the parts on me as I enter the UK.

Yes.

Breaking down to parts could be viewed upon as trying to deceive.  Then you get grumpy customs and airline staff 

IFs, RIFs .... and also contrary to popular belief - firearms are legal in the UK and can be transported in aircraft.

You just need to be in the right legal status:

Not overpowered, have the skirmisher defence ready for RIFs and have the right licencing and good reason for firearms.

Pack it well, check airline policies, put in a magazine (print magazine that shows what airsoft is), declare it properly and there shouldn’t be issues.

Make sure you have good time before flights when checking in just in case they want to do extra checks 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.