Ground Zero Idiocy

EvilMonkee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

From their facebook

"The decision to run a game at Ground Zero Airsoft was taken after reading guidelines to businesses published on the 15th May, and was misinterpreted as there was no mention that there was still a limit imposed on the number of people that should meet together in public or private areas to participate in them.

We were going to split the site into 4 large areas, and run teams of 15 people fighting against each other so we could effectively socially distance the players from each other, along with operational changes to stop groups having to cluster together for any reason.

However, after reading the document aimed at people rather than businesses it is quite clear that it is not appropriate to run a game at the moment until the government lift this ban.
Since the post this morning, I have been unable to speak to the owner, but he has just called me now and as soon as I informed him of our mistake he immediately told me to cancel the game.

I was unable to update the Facebook community about what was happening until talking to him as it would probably have just deteriorated into name calling and negative comments with some of the people using rather toxic language to try and get their point across and the post would have got lost in the mire.

I understand that people feel strongly about this, but the same result would have been achieved by being polite.

I would like to thank anyone who pointed the documents out to us in a professional manner and we can only apologise for the confusion and distress that we may have caused."

Absolute chodes. 

2 hours ago, typefish said:

Is there? Could you point them out for me please?

Let me Google that for you

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2020/7/contents/enacted

9 minutes ago, typefish said:

Ah, well you're looking at the right piece of legislation - but which section is it which deals with events?

I'm not trying to lead you down the garden path or anything!

Power to prohibit or otherwise restrict events or gatherings in England

5(1)The Secretary of State may, for the purpose of—

(a)preventing, protecting against, delaying or otherwise controlling the incidence or transmission of coronavirus, or

(b)facilitating the most appropriate deployment of medical or emergency personnel and resources,

issue a direction prohibiting, or imposing requirements or restrictions in relation to, the holding of an event or gathering in England.

(2)A direction under sub-paragraph (1) may be issued in relation to—

(a)a specified event or gathering, or

(b)events or gatherings of a specified description.

(3)A direction under sub-paragraph (1) may only have the effect of imposing prohibitions, requirements or restrictions on—

(a)the owner or occupier of premises for an event or gathering to which the direction relates;

(b)the organiser of such an event or gathering;

(c)any other person involved in holding such an event or gathering.

(4)A direction under sub-paragraph (1) may only be issued during a public health response period.

(5)A direction under sub-paragraph (1) may, among other things, impose requirements about informing persons who may be planning to attend an event or gathering of its prohibition or any requirements or restrictions imposed in relation to the holding of it.

(6)For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2), events or gatherings may be described—

(a)by reference to a number of people attending the event or gathering,

(b)by reference to a requirement for medical or emergency services to attend the event or gathering, or

(c)in any other way.

(7)The reference in sub-paragraph (3)(c) to a person involved in the holding of an event or gathering does not include a person whose only involvement in the event or gathering is, or would be, by attendance at the event or gathering.

No clue whatsoever if the legislation has been employed, just wanted to point out the section that stood out to me as being relevant to the topic at hand

29 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Power to prohibit or otherwise restrict events or gatherings in England

5(1)The Secretary of State may, for the purpose of—

(a)preventing, protecting against, delaying or otherwise controlling the incidence or transmission of coronavirus, or

(b)facilitating the most appropriate deployment of medical or emergency personnel and resources,

issue a direction prohibiting, or imposing requirements or restrictions in relation to, the holding of an event or gathering in England.

(2)A direction under sub-paragraph (1) may be issued in relation to—

(a)a specified event or gathering, or

(b)events or gatherings of a specified description.

(3)A direction under sub-paragraph (1) may only have the effect of imposing prohibitions, requirements or restrictions on—

(a)the owner or occupier of premises for an event or gathering to which the direction relates;

(b)the organiser of such an event or gathering;

(c)any other person involved in holding such an event or gathering.

(4)A direction under sub-paragraph (1) may only be issued during a public health response period.

(5)A direction under sub-paragraph (1) may, among other things, impose requirements about informing persons who may be planning to attend an event or gathering of its prohibition or any requirements or restrictions imposed in relation to the holding of it.

(6)For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2), events or gatherings may be described—

(a)by reference to a number of people attending the event or gathering,

(b)by reference to a requirement for medical or emergency services to attend the event or gathering, or

(c)in any other way.

(7)The reference in sub-paragraph (3)(c) to a person involved in the holding of an event or gathering does not include a person whose only involvement in the event or gathering is, or would be, by attendance at the event or gathering.

No clue whatsoever if the legislation has been employed, just wanted to point out the section that stood out to me as being relevant to the topic at hand

That is indeed the correct schedule, well, for England anyway.

The point what I'm getting at is that as far as I know, only a declaration (well, two, in fact) required for these paragraphs to have any effect has been made by Scotland (which is the next stanza, each nation has their own stanza)

If of course anyone finds such a declaration for England, Wales or Northern Ireland I'll be most grateful!

It was 'we misinterpreted the guideslines'.  How?????  So you idiots can't even read......and then it was everyone elses fault for them being 'toxic'.  Jog on...

10 hours ago, Lozart said:

Translation: we got rumbled and reckon if we make up some bollocks about not having seen the right bit of paper nobody will think we were just being dicks.

Translation: Translation: We’re politicians 😂😂

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

It was 'we misinterpreted the guideslines'.  How?????  So you idiots can't even read......and then it was everyone elses fault for them being 'toxic'.  Jog on...

Yeah it sounds like bollocks to me. I can't find any guidance for business published on may the 15th, not to say it doesn't exist though.

In any case the guidance for business includes in it's second paragraph a link to the document showing which business must be closed, and which are exempt. Of which airsoft, or anything remotely similar, is not exempted under "outdoor leisure". GZ ignored this, or failed to understand this.  It also links to the "staying alert and safe" guidance, which again GZ either ignored or failed to understand. 

They're either thick as shit or scummy cunts. Genuinely hard to tell.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

I can't find any guidance for business published on may the 15th, not to say it doesn't exist though. 

Your Google-Fu is weak...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/guidance-for-employers-and-businesses-on-coronavirus-covid-19 (updated May 18th)

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

I accidentally pressed send before I had updated my post. That guidance was published on the 25th February and has been updated countless times including on the 15th. I wasn't trying to pick holes, i literally thought there was some new guidance which may of explained gz's thinking - i was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt as best i could. thanks 

To be devils advocate, businesses are struggling and every activity centre - airsoft, paintball, country pursuits etc are looking at reopening.

With vague announcements and constant changes to guidance there could be misunderstandings - if you listen to/read the media and Facebook then it’s very easy to be mistaken.

Discussions are taking place publicly and privately between sites, official bodies etc, Ground Zero are the first that I have seen to put it down firmly, the majority are doing so as their planning for reopening (and will have been doing that pretty much from the beginning & revising along the way.

Personally I’m in a very good position, my income is secure and I have the technology and ability to work anywhere with connectivity.  Financially I’m better off as I don’t have commuting expenses, work wise my team are more efficient.

Bit annoying as I have loads of personal projects that I could be doing if I wasn’t working.

I can understand those who have reduced income and especially the self employed and small businesses that don’t fit the criteria for grants or can only access help that’s a loan to be repaid.  

The Ground Zero game was a terrible idea, even the disclaimers handed through car windows could be handled better:

1)Online form if they can work out the tech

2)Online printable copy if not

3)Put disclaimers around the staging area for everyone else

4)Drop disclaimers in boxes to avoid handling on collection 

Mentioning what the cap was might have helped

(not much though unless the cap was in line with a family group)

Having a thermometer gun would show some form of identifying risky individuals

etc

But right now is not the time to open these activities, there could be plans for various stages of reopening as the situation progresses, eg small parties (if that is viable as the cost of opening might be even more than the income of a small enough group), or directed ‘experiences’ rather than full games, and over time moving onto wider opening.

Why bother trying to second guess, just be patient.

Just have to wait to open when its deemed appropriate by the govt, (not that it's any safer but it legitimises your decision).

What I can't believe is people walking around in surgical masks, creating a false sense of safety for themselves, especially the home made ones (like a bit of old sock is going to prevent a virus)

unless its full seal for eyes nose and mouth with an appropriate filter its not virus proof.

58 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

What I can't believe is people walking around in surgical masks, creating a false sense of safety for themselves, especially the home made ones (like a bit of old sock is going to prevent a virus)

unless its full seal for eyes nose and mouth with an appropriate filter its not virus proof.

It reduces the chance of you catching and more importantly spreading it, especially if you're asymptomatic. It's might not be virus proof, but If there's a 1% chance that it'll stop somebody else getting it and all I need to do is wear something over my face when I go to the shops, sign me up.

1 hour ago, osteoshot said:

Basic masks are NOT to protect you, they're to protect others.

bos-covid19.gif?m=1585647199

Not to mention the optics benefit - seeing masks outside, in public, is a constant reminder to keep as far as possible away from people. 

6 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Basic masks are NOT to protect you, they're to protect others.

bos-covid19.gif?m=1585647199

Not to mention the optics benefit - seeing masks outside, in public, is a constant reminder to keep as far as possible away from people. 

The second point I agree with

I believe even loose fitting masks do offer a small amount of protection for the wearer as the masks provide a barrier to 'push' some larger droplets out of the way rather than hit your face but ultimately they're for the benefit of those around you.

I find airsofters attitude towards others fascinating.

some would modify their behaviour for a 1percent chance to protect others

others have stated on this very site in the past that if they blinded a player because inferior eye pro was worn they would not lose a wink of sleep

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, osteoshot said:

I find airsofters attitude towards others fascinating.

some would modify their behaviour for a 1percent chance to protect others

others have stated on this very site in the past that if they blinded a player because inferior eye pro was worn they would not lose a wink of sleep

It is natural selection, unfortunately Darwin awards do not always apply and sometime the dumbest win.  Airsoft being an all encompassing hobby and open to anyone does mean that it also encompasses all strata of society. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.