Aac T10/Mk23 Build - Ex Srs or Vsr?

MiK

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys/gals

With the shutdown really curtailing my spending so I have stocked up a little kitty fund, so I have a serious ponder 🤔

I absolutely love the look of a SRS and would love one, if I bought a new A2 how well does it perform “out of the box” or will I need to drop a lot more in it for it to be a good performer - I know that a better spring is a must but is there a lot more or does SRS really stand for Serious Retail Spending?? 

Other option would buying a VSR variant and upgrading it,  admittedly I’m a tad nervous about gutting a brand new shooter to tweak up/screw up or would buying of those pre-upgraded jobbies that a lot of stores offer - I am aware of Mssrs Nov but there seems to be a lot of questions here over his QC but is this a good option ?

One last question if I may .. bar the obvious length difference what’s the main difference between the 16” covert and the 22” monster ?

cheers in advance

Edited by MiK
Turning it into my T10 & MK23 Build thread

A fully upgraded SRS will equal a fully upgraded VSR in terms of performance, there is just so much one can upgrade and the hard cap still remains the ammunition used.

The SRS has more air volume (joule creep) but has an awkward bolt pull and magazines are shit (huge, wonky to insert/remove, meh capacity for the size), very compact size and looks great, it's very popular now thanks to KM&friends. Offers outstanding quality right from the box, although it suffers from TM recoil syndrome. People just chuck out the good parts and replace them with same quality parts (butitsupgreededreeeeeee).

A VSR, depending on what base you get, can be a bit flimsy and most clones have a smaller cylinder volume than the original (TM). Not by much but still, and it's addressed easily by just replacing the cylinder. The true master race of sniper rifles. Building one from scratch will teach you a thing or two about what makes a good sniper rifle, plus there are a lot of diy mods you can do for pennies.

I would avoid pReUpGrEiDuD ones, I'd go for a 2nd hand, you can save some money and get yourself a great "base".

Just be aware of those "X is broken but it's a quick fix, I just need money for my krytac" ads.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Skara said:

"X is broken but it's a quick fix, I just need money for my krytac" 

what that tells me is "they done screwed up both guns"

tbh my leaning would be more vsr, but that's pretty much entirely down to preferring the form factor. not that i do much sniping anyway (at least not with a bolty)

Cheers guys, 

I like the idea of “pennies” for mods and I suppose £150-ish VSR and tinkering on it is a lot cheaper to replace/repair if I do a “Shoddy-Mc-Shoddy” job of it than a £500 SRS and foobarring it.

Spose it’s now time to find a stockist that’s actually has one or the other in stock............

I have both. VSR will always be an ongoing project and the SRS, well, it wasn't supposed to have as much spent on it as it did.

Love them both and they both shoot similar distance and accuracy.

Preference the VSR for weight and size/weight of mags

Preference the SRS for ergonomic (bullpup is awesome) and it's awesome build quality 

Honestly if I was buying now....SSG10 as it's light, very cost efficient for what you get, mostly VSR10 compatible, pre upgraded if you're not sure on teching and the QC isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

@Steveocee thanks for the both sides of the fence - the decision didn’t get any easier :D but everywhere is on “pre-order” so in no rush to pull the trigger on one way or the other 

47 minutes ago, MiK said:

@Steveocee thanks for the both sides of the fence - the decision didn’t get any easier :D but everywhere is on “pre-order” so in no rush to pull the trigger on one way or the other 

GSPEC

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-vsr10-gspec-spring-sniper-rifle-olive-save-25-was-215-now-190

Pro

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-vsr10-pro-spring-sniper-rifle-black-save-30-was-179-now-149

SRS A2 - 16" Sport hasn't been released yet but are available for pre-order from Longbow

https://www.longbowbb.co.uk/silverback-rifles

or Skirmshop

https://www.skirmshop.co.uk/sniper-rifles/srs/right-handed-srs-a2/

But if you go for a covert or "non sport" model you can order and receive within a few days.

Didn’t think of fire support being honest but I did look at both skirmshop and longbow both have A2 in 22” but LB is sold out of Coverts and skirmshop seeming only has left-handers - I couldn’t select Right Hand :( unless I was doing something stupid .......... 🤪

@Steveocee I was looking around skirmshop and a Action Army AAC T10 caught my eye - have you (or anyone) had any experience with this model? 
I've almost decided that I might as well learn to tinker sooner than later so I’m gonna go the base stock and upgrade as needed but I don’t want to start with a lemon to make champagne if you get my drift ;) (the SRS bullpup is still sexy looking tho)

I would go for a VSR G Spec.

Resounding most that has been said above, the VSR is much more operator friendly with a nicer easier to pull bolt, lighter weight, smaller mags.

I have not used an AA one, would also be keen to hear on that.

Ive always loved the TMs but the externals can be pretty tired after 3-4 years hard useage - obv you can just get another and swap the guts over.

Be great if there is an option of genuine TM clone accuracy internally with better external material, I.E. a polymer rather than ABS

The AA is supposed to be quite vsr compatible but I haven't owned one. I have read that people have slight little issues and as the rifle isn't as popular as the vsr then you can have difficulty finding help.

Getting into tinkering is the best way, it's best to know how to fix stuff than be the guy wandering round safe zone asking for help.

If you're up for the build VSR GSPEC all the way, do your research and take your time.

I've got a T10, and it's a good alternative.

It is VSR compatible; I swapped out the guts from my Cyma 701 and they all went in no problem and work well.
The fake magwell for storing a magazine is very handy, and having a straight, non-tapered outer barrel (Same ID as a G-spec) makes it better for adding barrel spacers than a VSR pro style.

It's running with an AA hop unit and AA teflon cylinder, with the laylax Zero piston. (it comes with a 90 degree trigger as standard, so you save money there; despite the higher initial price of a T10 compared to a TM or clone VSR-10).

@Steveocee I’ve just ordered a “knock-off” MK23 (asg) from patrolbase on Wednesday which is hopefully arriving Monday and ordered some upgrades for that from Longbow and skirmshop.nl which all has arrived, a TDC, a barrel and hop-up rubber and gonna have a tinker with that and if that goes well I’m more inclined to go the base model and upgrade/tinker as it’s needed with rifle, but if I screw up it’s not a expensive one.

@Hudson Cheers for the info but it’s made my decision a touch harder, but I might hit you up a bit (if I may) if I do go down the T10 route ;)

Typical!!!!

I finally decided on a T10 and went go pull the trigger at skirmshop - but alas now sold out !!!

Damn my forever debating pondering nature 🥴

I suppose it will give me some tinker time with the MK23 beforehand 

11 hours ago, MiK said:

Typical!!!!

I finally decided on a T10 and went go pull the trigger at skirmshop - but alas now sold out !!!

First hand advice, be careful with your nozzle return spring. I went to stretch mine as explained on the onmymk site and was a touch heavy handed. The 2" spring is now 2 feet and tied up in a knot in the bin.

Have had to order a Wii tech upgrade from skirmshop.nl to replace it. Blooming postage is more than the part!

18 hours ago, MiK said:

Typical!!!!

The t10 short is still in stock.

https://www.skirmshop.co.uk/action-army-short-aac-t10-od.html

@Hudson do you recommend a short-stub over the long barrel ?

What barrel and hop rubber are you using currently or recommend or do I need to change at all ?

Since Patrolbase has let me down on delivery on my MK23 today I went searching and I have found a long barrel T10 that is in stock (short barrels too). 

I’ve found the AA hop unit (red one), a fluted AA Teflon cylinder, is the Laylax PSS10 High Pressure Piston (Orange one) the correct one ?
I take it I will have to swap the nylon spring guide out to steel > Laylax PSS10 Spring Guide with Smooth Bearing 7mm is this the correct one too ?

Finally a M150 spring or something else ?

Honestly, It's down to personal preference; the length of it doesn't make that much of a difference; I've got friends experimenting with stubby (220mm) barrels on their Tanaka M700s paired with a fancy scope system to try and push out to 150m shots (See @Hunteering on instagram) with reasonable results.

If I were buying new I'd go with the shorty, just for maneuverability and making it easier to fit in my case; but I bought second hand which is why I ended up with the long version (428mm inner)

As we can't get out to play, I would run it stock for now; just to see how well it shoots.
But for later, Barrel-wise, something like a PDI 6.05, lambda 6.05, ML Crazy-Jets are all good brand barrels; there's also EDGI, and Airsoft Philosopher if you want to spend even more; though I've not owned either of those myself so can't say 100%; only going off reviews and friend's Rifles.

The Orange piston is correct; the 90 degree. 👍

Power of spring will be trial and error with your set-up; an m150 might be too powerful depending on air seal and what else you go with; I *think* I use an M145 for 2.2J on a 0.45, but can't remember.

Buckings are personal preference; no one choice is best, so it's up to you to experiment and see.

I've got a V1 flamingo, ML Omega nub & PDI barrel in my VSR, and I've just replaced the flamingo in my T10 with a Maple leaf 60 degree MR hop paired with a Stalker panthera Nub & Crazy Jet; but as we're locked down I've no way to test how it runs unfortunately.

@Hudson wow cheers for the info - lots to ponder and process.

just need to debate on the before/after on upgrades my garden is about 50m long so I can test at least mid range for now on the bare boned rifle.

@Steveocee /whoooooosh - that went right over my tech level 🤔

@MiK,

There are 2 diameters used for VSR parts. The "normal" which is to suit a spring with inside diameter 7mm and outside diameter 11mm. This is what Laylax, Action Army and a few others use.

There is also the wider 9mm inside and 13mm outside which is mostly used by PDI and AirsoftPro. Wider spring means in theory it is easier to pull.

Recent snipers, namely SRS and SSG share spring dimensions and the Rapax 2J is your "go to" elite tier option. They are best fit, tightest tolerance and consistent from coil to coil and don't loose as much power over their life.

The 2 sizes aren't cross compatible bit ASP did do a trick where they provided a sleeve for their spring guide so you could use either spring (but they provide the wider in their kits now).

Well just ordered my T10 - I went LongBoi in black and it arrives .......................... TOMORROW!!!

I just had the delivery email notification from DPD and it’s coming all the way from AirSoftWorld in Fife .... (take note Patrolbase in Huddersfield)

@MiK Looking good, only adjustment I would personally make is swapping the MR hop for an Autobot.

The MR has some sealing issues and side by side there is virtually no difference from the Autobot in terms of accuracy (and the auto has been around a while and is a very trusted platform).

There is an argument to try a 70 or 75 shore bucking as well. I personally run a 75 in my VSR and it's always been spot on but fully understand why a softer rubber can help.

For the price maybe keep a 60 MR and take a punt on the crazy forum guy spouting about 70/75 autobots?

***Do hope we'll get some pics and progress/build pics.

@Steveocee I spose a extra £8.95 isn’t gonna make the wife go any more nuts than she will already (if she finds out that is) - I just need to time the delivery on a day she is working at the surgery :P

I will definitely pop some “progress” piccies once 1. I buy the parts and 2. Get the nerve to take a perfectly functioning rifle to bits but 3. I am gonna take the MK23 to “upgrade town” first as allegedly thats arriving Thursday from PB.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.