Newb Looking for a Gun

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I would use te the search function of this site to do some research there are dozens of M4 manufactures with 100s of variation and massive price differences  

• Supporters

Plus if your a new player, 18+ with no ukara or proven defense, your restricted to two-tone only, not everyone's cup of tea 🤔

I would strongly advise checking out the "New Players & Arrivals" section of the forum as this area contains a significant amount of information which will help you on your airsoft journey. I would also strongly advise making an introduction post within the aforementioned forum area.

As a few general pieces of advice:

• Familiarise yourself with the relevant sections of the Violent Crime Reduction Act which can be found at the following link in addition to a wide array of other useful bits of information: New Player section - New Player Guides & Info.
  • If you haven't already done so, which I'll assume is the case given the timing of your post and lack of meaningful introduction, I would strongly recommend waiting for sites to open and then find a reputable local site where you can rent for a couple of games prior to making any investments. Airsoft holds a lot of appeal but not everyone enjoys it and you're far better off trying via renting to start off with as opposed to potentially being stuck with a gun you may struggle to sell due to it being two tone.
  • Use the time spent renting to establish a realistic budget, to do your reading/research and to save your money to pick up the best gear possible.
  • It's always worth using the search function first, especially for more common questions.

While the guns are definitely the big attraction to the hobby don't make the mistake of overlooking (and under investing) in appropriate protective equipment. While airsoft guns are commonly referred to as toys, please bear in mind that these are more than capable of inflicting serious harm if abused or misused.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you enjoy your stay and become a long term member of our community.

In addition to the above sound advice: Start saving now.

Please, don’t make the mistake that I and countless others before and after us have definitely made and buy cheap as your first RIF (real imitation firearm).

(don’t get a “Nuprol”)

Thanks 

Ron

Hey guys sorry for the lack of intro .

names Tommy 

yes I’m a newb into airsoft and looking foreword to going to my nearest site renting and having ago! I’ve purchased some viper tactical boots and currently seeing if my opticians will help me do some lenses for some safety goggles for me! 

yes all new to me and took time last night to read through the into and laws etc.

a good friend got me into it and yes have started saving!  And thanks for the strong advice about not going to cheap will hopefully have a feel for other peeps guns and see which I like 

Yea man. I wear specs and I can recommend these goggles as I can fit prescription. Yes they’re cheap and nasty but they fit! And more importantly they stop BB’s. I just can’t do contacts. 

5409D3A4-6DCD-41C2-B23D-F0791FB412E9.png

35 minutes ago, Synysterpickle9 said:

Thanks guys ideal with the Google’s I know wearing a full face mask will just steam me up!!!

Hi mate, 

Be under no illusion those goggles do steam up. Especially in CQB indoors. Not too bad outdoors as you’re running around a lot more. 

I bit the BB and went for an Ex-Fog system and not regretted it. 

If you’re wondering what Ex-Fog is then: 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/exfog-antifog-system-t-band

They’re about 90 big ones but if you run hot like me then they’re a must.

You never know you might be one of those guys who “don’t fog up” but I’ve yet to meet one. (Yes even you Bolle wearers ;)

I’d say fogging in my personal opinion WAS Airsoft’s biggest problem from the average players point of view but it’s easily avoided.

You just need to decide if that £90 burning a hole in your pocket is worth never fogging. And I mean, I’ve not fogged once with the aforementioned system and would / could not play without it. 

AA9496EA-4976-450E-90F4-B0695C115171.jpeg

9C0B57C6-387E-47A2-8A9E-3509532AF77E.jpeg

FBA1BF84-6770-48F7-AE66-40F4AE481678.jpeg

1A5E7F3E-DD82-4191-B9FF-84F4B87609B1.jpeg

Hey man if they work, they work.AND at a fraction of the price! 

I tried similar fan goggles to them and all of amazons finest <£9 anti fog spray and it just wasn’t working for me. 

I was sceptical about the Ex-Fog but it works. 

By no means am I saying to buy the Ex-Fog straight off the bat but if nothing scratches that itch then go for it.

Of course you can fog anything if you're sweating enough but the fan plus some ex-fog should keep them clear MOST of the time.

Thermal lenses work great too - I use some Revision Desert Locusts with thermal lenses & it's difficult to get them to even start fogging up.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Then there's double pane...

i did try a pair of pyramex's, but man they don't half give some weird visual artefacts from the 2 lenses reflecting/refracting each other.

ended up going back to the bolle's and praying for a breeze.

I got a pair just like @RonLancs posted up last year and being a spectacle wearer who being *cough* over 21 *cough* use vari-vocal for close work/scope work contacts never worked great but I steamed up like a bad-un - so I dropped in two 25mm 5V Hydraulic Bearing Brushless Fans from that there Amazon connected to my rechargeable  9v battery from my bass guitar and soon as the fog’o’doom starts up and within seconds they clear up nicely.

i Sugru’ed them on and admittedly I can hear it just but no one else usually can unless your standing directly next to someone and then the first thing they think it is is a gas leak from a mag :P

I’m personally too tight to justify blowing 90 buttons on EX-Fog when I can knock summat up for less than taking the wife out for a 2-4-1 meal, I think I paid £12 for the Goggles last year and the fans where like a £5 for 3, and £2-3 on the battery box the rest I had already so add another £5 for those if you had to buy.

58DC61F6-6438-4F24-B83C-5F5DBE222BF8.jpeg

12 minutes ago, MiK said:

I got a pair just like @RonLancs posted up last year and being a spectacle wearer who being *cough* over 21 *cough* use vari-vocal for close work/scope work contacts never worked great but I steamed up like a bad-un - so I dropped in two 25mm 5V Hydraulic Bearing Brushless Fans from that there Amazon connected to my rechargeable  9v battery from my bass guitar and soon as the fog’o’doom starts up and within seconds they clear up nicely.

i Sugru’ed them on and admittedly I can hear it just but no one else usually can unless your standing directly next to someone and then the first thing they think it is is a gas leak from a mag :P

I’m personally too tight to justify blowing 90 buttons on EX-Fog when I can knock summat up for less than taking the wife out for a 2-4-1 meal, I think I paid £12 for the Goggles last year and the fans where like a £5 for 3, and £2-3 on the battery box the rest I had already so add another £5 for those if you had to buy.

58DC61F6-6438-4F24-B83C-5F5DBE222BF8.jpeg

Absolute belters them mate! I should’ve messaged you hahaha! 

I was considering building them myself and I was like 2 week wait from China finding the tiny fans 🙃 I gave up and went for Ex-Fog. Being honest I paid for it from my pistol budget cos I was like... When do I actually use my pistol... (I hardly ever do) I’m not justifying the purchase of Ex-Fog as it’s an obscene amount to pay for such a thing but at the end of the day if you can make it at home then obvs you’re gonna. Who doesn’t like a little project xD. 

58 minutes ago, Ad_ said:

Thermal lenses work great too - I use some Revision Desert Locusts with thermal lenses & it's difficult to get them to even start fogging up.

These get issued nowadays along with the sawflys If I’m not mistaken. And boy, when I was in ME they fogged up like a mofo. You’d only wear them if platoon commander / brass was knocking about. 

Again it might just be me who runs hot. 

3 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

These get issued nowadays along with the sawflys If I’m not mistaken. And boy, when I was in ME they fogged up like a mofo. You’d only wear them if platoon commander / brass was knocking about. 

Again it might just be me who runs hot. 

With regular lenses or thermal lenses? Because I've tried both and while the regular lenses did fog up, the thermal lens barely even starts to (and the top vent is usually covered as I normally wear a boonie hat, so the airflow through them isn't ideal)

When I say I’m too tight I actually mean I’ll have a hard time explaining it away to the “boss of who should be obeyed”

£200 on a gun I can get away with “there’s a lot of it for your money sweetie” but £90 hiding away under ya helmet she just can’t understand the bane that fog-up is with the usual comment well can’t you take it off and wipe it :D

I love to tinker when it comes to crafty-type things so the goggles were fun and I’m in the middle of two projects a slightly larger mesh tooth guard and a custom bandolier - waiting on vinyl to turn up for some intricate masking off and for toolstation to text me saying my blades are ready for pick up.

CECD3903-7D62-4853-9914-EA652063CE71.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Ad_ said:

With regular lenses or thermal lenses? Because I've tried both and while the regular lenses did fog up, the thermal lens barely even starts to (and the top vent is usually covered as I normally wear a boonie hat, so the airflow through them isn't ideal)

In complete honesty I’m really not sure mate. They come in the carry case and you get clear, smoked and yellow lenses with a couple of packs of those revision wipes. 

Knowing the army they’ll be cheap knockoffs from TaiwanGun. 

31 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

mesh :D

Haha ;) 

AB6523FC-743A-479C-8A0A-9F6DD9C29E80.gif

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.