Cm.650a Mosfet Edition Review – a Replica of the Sr47 Assault Rifle.

mightyjebus

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

CM.650A Mosfet Edition review – a replica of the SR47 assault rifle.

A brief history of the SR47.

There was a requirement sent to Knights Armament to produce a battle rifle capable of firing the 7.62x39mm round and use AK47 style magazines but keep the familiar rifle controls of the M16 family. At a cost of $1M dollars KA produced 7 rifles for the USSOCOM. The rifle titled SR47 never reached it’s intended goal of being mass produced and there are only 7 rifles in existence somewhere within the USSOCOM world.

The idea behind the rifle was to allow SF personnel to replenish their ammunition using captured weapons and weapon stores and removing the need for a re-supply helicopter to be put at risk or reveal the location of SF operators in Afghanistan.

The weapon ultimately failed for a number or reasons and 6 rifles did make their way to the war on terror. The most likely failure of the rifle was the result of not knowing where the captured ammo came from, how good the captured magazines would be, tight M16 style tolerances unlike the Ak47 and fouling of the working parts due to a direct gas impingement system and not a gas piston system similar to the AK or HK416 rifles.

Basically it was a design that took all the crap parts of the M16 and AK platform and joined them together.

The CYMA CM.065A is their interpretation of the SR47 and is a budget line AEG with a Mosfet fitted as standard.

Inside the box you get the AEG, Hicap magazine, battery, battery charger, cleaning/unjamming rod and some basic paperwork.

box_zpsob80l3nq.jpg

The AEG is very lightweight, and this is due to the AEG being mostly made of polymer. I’d comfortably say that you could run around the woods all day with this AEG and not notice it. It would be ideal for a younger player or someone who might find carrying a full metal AEG all day a problem.

The polymer seems to be strong and doesn’t seem to have any weak spots as far as I can see.

left%20side_zpskpqbapwu.jpg

right%20side_zpsavoaukdd.jpg

I’ve highlighted below just how many parts of this rifle are metal. As you can see it’s pretty limited but for an AEG costing £109 I’m not surprised.

metal%20parts_zpsul4epscu.jpg

Starting from the front and working back I will show the parts that make up this AEG.

First up is the flash hider. This is a plastic copy of the M4 style bird cage flash hider and is just jammed onto the threads of the outer barrel and there isn’t a grub screw securing it to the AEG. It’s not going to fall off easily as it’s jammed on tight but there are actually no threads inside the flash hider. This is a first for me to be honest.

flash%20hider_zpsjnwmrfsz.jpg

flash%20hider%20removal_zpspo8onjqd.jpg

The front RAS rail is a copy of the Knights Armament SR15 rail but all in plastic including the delta ring. It seems thick enough and shouldn't snap too easily and the picatinny slots accept all the accessories I tried on there.

delta%20ring_zpstjicirzd.jpg

The front sight is a plastic copy of the Troy front sight and folds up and down. There is no adjustment for height of the sight post.

front%20sight_zpsfgtcqmgb.jpg

The magazine release is one of the few metal parts on this AEG and can be used 2 ways. You can release the magazine by pushing the button on the right hand side, the same way as a M4 or you can push forward on the lever inside the back of the magwell like an AK. You are unlikely to use it the AK way as the lever doesn’t protrude far enough out of the magwell to be useable. It really needed to be 1cm longer to be useful.

mag%20release_zpscld3jl6h.jpg

The selector is made of plastic and clicks nicely into each firing position.

selector_zps92pfsndn.jpg

The rear sight is a plastic copy of the KAC pop up sight and has adjustments of elevation and windage.

rear%20sight_zpsp9nblcfg.jpg

Another of the rare metal parts is the end plate sling loop. This is nicely made and gives you the option to sling the weapon.

sling%20loop_zpsiyjsytey.jpg

The stock pipe is cast metal with the castle nut moulded into it. On top of that sits the crane stock. The rear of the crane stock is removal able to allow a battery to be fitted. There is plenty of storage inside the stock pipe and crane stock to fit a lot of different battery sizes however don’t both using a11.1V LIPO but more on that later.

stock%20extended_zpstuirdjxo.jpg

battery%20access_zpsipund92r.jpg

Removing the front retaining pin allows the upper and lower receiver to be split. The front pin isn’t captive but does have an Allen headed bolt to stop you loosing the pin when it’s attached to the AEG.

Splitting the rifle in to should be done carefully as the hop unit and inner barrel stay attached to the gearbox and you need to remove the upper receiver and then twist the hop unit and barrel out of the lower receiver.

field%20stripped_zpsko64citd.jpg

When you piece the rifle back together make sure you attach the hop and barrel to the front of the gearbox before sliding the upper receiver on.

inner%20barrel_zpsi0h9e08i.jpg

The gear boasts a quick-change spring but I found that it was anything but quick change. You need to remove the stock and stock pipe and then turn the bearing spring guide into the slots in the back of the gearbox shell to remove the spring. I did several times and couldn’t get the thing to come out. I ended up lining it up in the cut-outs then used the stock pipe retaining screw to pull it out. I chopped my main spring 3 times to get to the required FPS I wanted and all 3 times I had to so the same thing with the stock pipe screw to get the spring guide out.

stock%20pipe%20removal_zps6daocmb6.jpg

spring%20change_zpsqj4gs9pz.jpg

Looking at the accessories in the box, you get a charger with European pins, a 8.4v Ni-MH 1300Mah battery and a Hicap magazine.

The battery charger isn’t great. You’d probably want to just throw it away and buy something better quality. The battery is actually fine to use and I tested it out and get the same speed when firing as a 7.4V LIPO.

The magazine is a 400/450 hicap magazine with a thumb wheel on the bottom to compress the main spring. It’s the usual CYMA good quality magazine that fits inside the magwell nicely.

I’ve tried 1 other type of magazine (midcap palm AK magazine) which feeds fine but wobbles inside the magwell and would probably need some Velcro adding inside the magwell if you wanted to run these magazines. I’ll try some other magazines later to see how the fit and feed.

palm%20mag_zpstrie3lcx.jpg

So how does it shoot for a £109 AEG? Well good and bad to be honest. With a 7.4V LIPO or supplied battery it fires fine with a snappy semi auto trigger response and an average full auto rate of fire.

The downside seems to be that it doesn’t like or want to use 11.1V LIPO batteries.

I forgot to mention that when you usually plug a battery into an AEG with a Mosfet you get a beep letting you know everything is good. Not the CYMA one, oh no, you get a full-blown tune coming out the thing. It’s a bit amusing to be honest but will wear off quickly, I think. When you plug a 11.1V in it goes into a continuous singsong until you unplug the battery. Maybe I have a duff one but if not then 11.1V batteries can’t be used.

Before I forget here’s a couple of more observations. The inner barrel is around 350mm and the inner bore seems to be 6.06mm and is crowned on the end.

Accurate range is around the 45m mark and the hop up rubber handles .2g BB’s easily however I haven’t tried anything heavier yet.

Initial conclusion is it’s not a good or bad AEG. It’s cheap, fires ok, very lightweight and has a decent snappy trigger, on semi, even with a 7.4 LIPO. The price is appealing however there are better options out there (think DE) for around the same price. Its appeal is going to be limited to either someone starting out who wants something cheap that works or someone more die-hard who wants to storm Tora Bora as a USSF fighter but on a budget (and it’s unlikely they will find the Hurricane SR47 conversion kit nowadays).

I’ll get around to trying out different BB weights, stripping out the gearbox and testing different magazines in the near future.

• Supporters

The thread on them flash-hider's or rather lack/no thread - just whacked on

is what many of the £70 M4 ultra cheapo 5xx like CM515 & CM517's have

(517 is a nice cheap medium 300m barrel Raider clone)

The cheapo AK CM520 is cheapo 28a with plastic dust cover & stuff & flash-hider can't be removed on 520

like on the 28a, though probably won't that bothered on a cheapy AK like the 520 offers

However I think the shorter 521 AK, you can unscrew/remove the flash-hider

(but still has plastic dust cover & I think plastic/cheap charging handle on 520/521 AK's

The cheapo flip sights on the M4's look/feel very fragile, likely to break over time in cold weather

The cheapo £70 Cyma's are fantastic value though, even with stuff like push on flash-hiders, fragile sights

or replacing cheapy plastic dust cover on AK etc... means on AK's, time you replaced certain parts...

You might have well just bought the better 028a AK instead - though the 521 AK might be alright at a push

In other words, the money you save on "some" Cyma's, could be a little false economy if replacing stuff later

or at the very least stuff to remember when selecting a decent cheap AEG

(but I paid a LOT more for far worse toy guns)

great review once again

Shame you can't seem to use 11.1v though ???

Yeah Cyma brass barrels are pretty decent/good for a cheap stock barrel with nice crown

(not much wrong with the barrel itself)

better than hacked up bit of alloy pipe you often find just slung in some budget guns

Sounds like the same mosfet that the CYMA platinum uses.  I had the same error beep with a chinese 11.1v battery.  Try another one.  I only get the error with one of mine all my other 11.1v work fine.

For £109 looks like a cracking little gun and a little different to a regular M4.  

• 8 months later...

Rather than create a new thread, I though I should necro-post on this one with my thoughts.

I picked one of these up from the princely sum of £85 thanks to Patrol Base's January sales, making it the cheapest AEG I've ever purchased either new or second hand. The intention was a cheap'n'cheerful loaner or 'backup to my backup' gun.

I've got to say, so far I'm really quite impressed. 

There's nothing I really disagree with in @mightyjebus excellent write up. Other than the loose stock on the buffer tube (solved with velcro), there are no wobbles or creaks. The rail is pretty sturdy as is the plastics in general. I don't think it's quite G&G quality but it's certainly not low end. The trigger response in semi is good, but full-auto ROF is a touch slow at around 11rps. I don't run 11.1v LiPos in any of my guns, so I'm unlikely to have the battery issue affect me.

I'm not planning upgrades other than replacing the stock hop rubber/nub and the polishing the barrel.

I think that the only significant issue is the pricing. I was very lucky to get one for the price I did. Back last year these could be had for £110, plus shipping from TaiwanGun, this was of course prior to Brexit - even then, there was stiff competition in that price bracket, with only a few quid more getting you a full metal CM.045 AK or a DE M904. Fast-forward to today and these go for up to £170 from UK sellers, which prices them out of contention for most people, especially with the likes of metal-bodied Specnas et al readily available in the UK. It's a shame, but I don't think I'm going to see many of these about in future. But if you see one for less than £100 on sale, and it tickles your fancy, I say it's worth a punt.

I've thrown on a few parts that I had knocking around in the spares box to liven it up a bit.

IMG-0053.thumb.jpg.97f0b3b86f9977a0431c20b5104a5b1a.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.