Dmr Base Build.

RonLancs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, 

My next project is going to be a DMR and I’m looking for an ideal base gun to start with.

I like the M16A4 (and no it doesn’t have to be a 7.26 for me) I was thinking: 

https://gunfire.com/en/products/sa-b06-one-tm-carbine-replica-black-1152200035.html

Or something a bit different

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-040-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=22

I’m looking to spend max £200 on the base gun as I’ll be throwing some junk into it later down the line. 

I’d prefer full metal. 

I’m interested in members thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance 

PS (something like the image) 

Ron

D563B957-DD90-4E11-A9F6-D5D4EB298024.jpeg

This might be a good alternative to a standard M16A4 w/ M5 RAS:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-072-mk12-spr-mod-1-custom-w-full-stock

The flip up front sight always makes sense on a DMR (or even just a little bare gas block).

Or maybe this: 

https://www.airsoftguns-europe.com/mk12-spr-mod-0-18-inch-black-cyma-cm-071

I quite like the Mod 0 rounded front set - though the M5 style is definitely more practical.
The stock on that looks a bit odd though.

Hey thanks man. 

If anything it’d be the 072 but I’m looking for that classic look. Hell I’m gonna throw a bipod on it that’ll never get used and get stuck in mud. 

Ideally I want the A4 with the quad rail and I’m struggling to find one apart from that Specna A2 but then I’d have to source the rail. 

I’d of thought A4’s would be quite common but it seems the new shapes are slowly taking over. 

12 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

Hey thanks man. 

If anything it’d be the 072 but I’m looking for that classic look. Hell I’m gonna throw a bipod on it that’ll never get used and get stuck in mud. 

Ideally I want the A4 with the quad rail and I’m struggling to find one apart from that Specna A2 but then I’d have to source the rail. 

I’d of thought A4’s would be quite common but it seems the new shapes are slowly taking over. 

Yeah the M5 is always a pricey bit of kit - you would be better off getting that CYMA 072 and installing an old school front sight post - they are usually dead cheap n all.

Depending on how much barrel there is under that suppressor, you might need a 20" outer barrel too though. 

Btw TG actually have the 072 for quite a bit less: 

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-072-cyma-2?from=listing&campaign-id=19

Edit*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsyXxc40xZk

If you check this out here from time stamp 1:45 you'll see it does appear to be a normalish 20" barrel, however there is a QD lug/bolt up against the gas block, I would imagine it is removable, however it's hard to be sure.

I've found the best AR base for a DMR is the G&P. The tapered fitting for the outer barrel is way more solid than the standard fitting, the gearbox is a really solid and well built upgrade base and depending on which generation receiver you get it has an adjuster to set the alignment of the gearbox instead of using shims. G&Ps also have really good quality externals

Haha they’re also <£300 I’m not looking for absolute perfection as it’ll be my first DMR build. I mean if I could throw that into it I would but circumstances dictate that the budget for a DMR would be around -

£350 ish.  So I want to buy cheap(ish) and chuck some guts into her + externals. This is why I like the look of the Specna, sub  130 for a solid platform. 

I appreciate your input though mate. I’ll be uploading bits and bobs from the build as I go  along so feel free to assist. 

Thanks 

Ron

• Supporters
15 hours ago, RonLancs said:

Hi all, 

My next project is going to be a DMR and I’m looking for an ideal base gun to start with.

I like the M16A4 (and no it doesn’t have to be a 7.26 for me) I was thinking: 

https://gunfire.com/en/products/sa-b06-one-tm-carbine-replica-black-1152200035.html

Or something a bit different

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-040-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=22

I’m looking to spend max £200 on the base gun as I’ll be throwing some junk into it later down the line. 

I’d prefer full metal. 

I’m interested in members thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance 

PS (something like the image) 

Ron

D563B957-DD90-4E11-A9F6-D5D4EB298024.jpeg

For the full, out of the box MK12 look I'd say go for this one https://gunfire.com/en/products/sa-b16-one-tm-saec-tm-system-carbine-replica-black-1152210313.html

The CYMA is....OK. It will need a load of bits ripped out and replaced to make a decent DMR (to be fair most guns will) but the cosmetics of that 072 annoy the shit out of me. If you want a MK12 it's the wrong rail, the wrong foresight, the wrong suppressor, the list goes on. If you want to go down the M16A4 route then the one you linked to originally would be the best bet as the M5 style rail is actually pretty easy to come by https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000156854455.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.43b47d66bKTPIL&algo_pvid=1af9c79e-8326-42f8-a87b-9ff02ffe50c1&algo_expid=1af9c79e-8326-42f8-a87b-9ff02ffe50c1-34&btsid=0be3769015894464979183017e9d8a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_ (or it's on Amazon for about £70 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airsoft-Shooting-Aluminum-Handguard-Classic-Army/dp/B07L9V9F9X

Actually, if you like the rail from the CYMA 072 I have one I don't need. You'd need the right gas block with the flip up front sight but they're quite cheap.

Just FYI the actual rail in your pic in the first post is a BCM QRF, available from Evike for more than your base gun costs! https://www.evike.com/products/13577/

Hmm I’ve found what I want but nowhere has it in stock the Specna B07. 

It doesn’t have to be bang on Milsim spec I just want roughly something that looks like my original post that shoots like a dream. 

What sort of key points would you guys recommend to focus on with internals, hops etc I’ve got a 350 budget (inc weapon, accessories & internals) 

Thanks 

Ron 

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

Hmm I’ve found what I want but nowhere has it in stock the Specna B07. 

It doesn’t have to be bang on Milsim spec I just want roughly something that looks like my original post that shoots like a dream. 

What sort of key points would you guys recommend to focus on with internals, hops etc I’ve got a 350 budget (inc weapon, accessories & internals) 

Thanks 

Ron 

Nice looking rifle!

As far as mods go, you'll want to fit something around an M110/M120 spring depending on your local fields FPS limits and the quality of your airseal. You're looking for consistency so careful choice of components is probably more important than chasing FPS.

I'd suggest a good quality hop rubber like the Maple Leaf 60degree macaron with an appropriate nub (Maple Leaf Omega ideally). The Specna hop units are actually OK, but if you want to upgrade then definitely look at the Maxx ME models.

This is always worth a read https://www.reddit.com/r/airsoft/comments/5g58ia/holy_grail_dmr_guide_updated_for_20167/

A good barrel/bucking combo would be where I'd start - look into Rhopping perhaps. I personally wouldn't bother changing the hop unit unless it's knackered as it can introduce more problems than it resolves (feeding and the like), make sure it holds the hop as you've set it and shim it if necessary. Snakebitey's guide on reddit that @Lozart linked is a good read and would answer most questions really, and again like mentioned the thing you want most is consistency shot to shot.

1 hour ago, RonLancs said:

Thanks 

Ron 

It looks like it's built for high FPS out of the box so that helps and only be firing in Semi so that helps.

I wouldn't do Rhop with that budget, you really need the barrel machining to do it properly.

If you were to use all Prometheus parts you may spend upto £170 below.

HOP ASSY

£0 Take any slop (if any) out of hop unit

£60 Prommy 6.03 barrel 375mm

£0 Check for burrs, straightness, crown on delivery / get exchange if not 100%

£16.50 SixG Super Nub (shameless) or

£0 Bic nub

£10 Prommy red bucking

£0 Check bucking for any molding marks on BB contact areas, smooth if req'd

GEARBOX

£0 Check all airseals

£0 Clean, deburr case interior

£0 Smooth gearcase piston rails

£0 Radius gearcase

£0 Check shimming

£20 Prommy type B cylinder

£10 SP120 spring

£0 Grease appropriately

ELECTRICS

£5 Fit 14awg wiring if not STD

£30 Basic MOSFET without braking

£20 High C rated LiPo

BODY / EXTERNALS

£0 Pay attention to the alignment of the hop unit with the gearbox / nozzle, making sure it is square / inline on all planes / axis.

£0 Check the hop unit is fully seated back into the gearbox and it cannot move forwards / away.

£0 Check nozzle to bucking airseal.

£0 Check barrel bolts up square to reciever/gearbox

£0 Check inner barrel does meet any resistance when inserted which would imply it being deviated from true / straight

£0 Check inner barrel is lightly supported / centred at the end of the outer barrel to stop vibration, again make sure no resistance.

With that barrel/cylinder volume, running heavy BBs extra sorbo shouldn't be neccersary.

Be 440ish FPS, with 0.36s shoot very nice.

Just call me @Sitting Duck 😁

• Supporters

@RonLancs I've finally finished (or so I thought) my MK12 build

Just chrono'd it and with the M120 spring it's hitting about 480FPS on 0.2's! Set to hop something heavier it's still doing 450+ so I'm thinking that an M110 should be plenty (aiming for 420).

I'm about to pull it apart again though because the shimming sounds like crap but build list so far:

E&C M4 receiver

E&C V2 gearbox & interior gubbins

SLD 18:1 gears (about to get swapped for some ZCI advanced ones)

Ultimate Infinity CNC U-18000 motor

Maxx ME Pro hop unit

Maple Leaf Macaron 60 deg hop rubber

CYMA outer barrel

363mm ZCI inner barrel

Z-Parts MK12 suppressor (had to have the MK12 outer barrel machined to accept the thread as the cover it has is a dummy!)

Aster Basic V2 mosfet

20200517_160057.jpg

53 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Just chrono'd it and with the M120 spring it's hitting about 480FPS on 0.2's! Set to hop something heavier it's still doing 450+ so I'm thinking that an M110 should be plenty (aiming for 420).

I'm about to pull it apart again though because the shimming sounds like crap but build list so far:

E&C M4 receiver

E&C V2 gearbox & interior gubbins

Maxx ME Pro hop unit

Maple Leaf Macaron 60 deg hop rubber

CYMA outer barrel

363mm ZCI inner barrel

Z-Parts MK12 suppressor (had to have the MK12 outer barrel machined to accept the thread as the cover it has is a dummy!)

Aster Basic V2 mosfet

20200517_160057.jpg

Nice man. That’s what I’m looking for.. Haha, waiting for a sale to go through and I’m ordering B-06. 

Where’s that rail from man? 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

Where’s that rail from man? 

Had to get it from Evike in the end. The one I originally got is from the CYMA "MK12" front end but it has the top rail cutout for the M110 style layout they use on the CM072 (I still have it and it's for sale if you're interested).

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

Could it be attached to the B-06? 

Absolutely. Come with all the buts you'd need. My base build is an E&C receiver so it's the same OEM as the original Specna Arms series anyway!

You may need some barrel shims to get it lined up spot on but they're a fiver a pack!

The rail has been on and off a few times during the build process but it's never been out of the house let alone skirmished!

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Just chrono'd it and with the M120 spring it's hitting about 480FPS on 0.2's!

363mm ZCI inner barrel

Yes yes yes ✌️

Nice airstoft 'pile' in the background there, why does airsfot stuff always look like a heap no matter how much organising attempts!?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Davegolf said:

Yes yes yes ✌️

pdHI8JcEPa8rRaji3VqulbAVB3yyJ0koC5a1kwQy

No.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Davegolf said:

Nice airstoft 'pile' in the background there, why does airsfot stuff always look like a heap no matter how much organising attempts!?

It's a universal constant! Drives my wife up the wall!

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Possible tappet plate as the cause? Sharp entry point with that chip and or upward pressure?

Investigations are ongoing...

Huh, so if my calculations are correct then this build is looking to cost me £391.88..

What we thinking? 

FEC66E38-3AF4-4E76-9A28-24988E847162.png

607625BE-1391-4D05-8DEC-E49829DA485D.png

98F09298-85B3-488F-9682-80829F99193C.png

8715F68A-A917-4CF2-82D2-9495D9F3F451.png

A196E6DC-E1B2-4D48-BEA7-1D88E1CE48DB.png

92B181A1-A714-4F0E-9706-7879A15EA5B1.png

2E1779A7-FC49-4AEF-BBED-B66FFC2BD247.gif

Urghhhhhhh my eyes! Children! *Shudders*

Straight off the bat; no Madbul barrels allowed 🤢

And waaaaaay too long SRSLY.

Get a foregrip later if you need more barrel funds.

Get a POM piston, you don't want ally running on ally.

I can supply you alpha wire cheaply if you want it plus a stamp.

Id get an M120, you can always trim it down if need be.

Are you planning on running 11.1v or 7.4v?

If you run 11.1v you can use the stock gears, saves more dollar.

27 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Urghhhhhhh my eyes! Children! *Shudders*

Straight off the bat; no Madbul barrels allowed 🤢

And waaaaaay too long SRSLY.

Get a foregrip later if you need more barrel funds.

Get a POM piston, you don't want ally running on ally.

I can supply you alpha wire cheaply if you want it plus a stamp.

Id get an M120, you can always trim it down if need be.

Are you planning on running 11.1v or 7.4v?

If you run 11.1v you can use the stock gears, saves more dollar.

Prommy barrel? And what size do you recommend? 

I’d be running 11.1v. With the original 18:1 gears would I be able to get the trigger response? 

My local field would be 400 for DMR. So the safe bet would still be M120? 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.