Which Scar L Base Model to Upgrade?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Im looking for a good SCAR L base model that I can pimp up that doesn’t cost the earth. 

Ideally something with a good looking quality external. I was going to buy the TM NGRS but have been put off by various things like the proprietary mags and mostly, to get the range most people seem to replace 1/2 the internals anyway!! Seems silly to spend near in £600 then replace parts of it. 

I’m just wondering if there is another SCAR out there that is reasonable on price and relatively cheap to upgrade? I.e.adding a midrange MOSFET inner barrel and that sort of thing? A good gearbox I suppose would be ideal less a bit of tweaking. 

Im fairly new to airsoft and only currently Own 1 rifle (G&G combat machine v2.0 L E)and a couple of pistols. I want another rifle that’s not an M4 platform as a backup/ alternative. 

Ive changed the barrel and hop up etc and S-hopped myself, but still haven’t gone in the gearbox as there is nothing wrong with it. As I only have 1 working gun I don’t want to risk wrecking. Hence why a good gearbox would be ideal. However, I’m not averse to sending to a tech for inexpensive tune ups for example. I’d get the MOSFET  fitted by a tech anyway- something like a Warfet maybe?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I can’t see the wood for the trees now when I’m looking around.

Many thanks in advance to you lovely people for the help. 👍

I was just eyeing this up and thinking of doing an upgrade project

I appreciate its a Scar H , I think there is an L slightly more expensive 

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/by-805-black-bell?from=listing&campaign-id=14&q=Double+bell

Thank you! The scar H is better looking imo, it’s just the magazine compatibility  is why I wanted the L.  I have actually looked on Taiwan gun. It’s just with my lack of experience, I haven’t got a clue if most models are Lemons or not!! I haven’t  owned enough to know. 

Oh, it’s a good looking Tan/Desert model I’m after too. I mention this as there are massive deviations  in finish Compared to black if anyone sees/knows anything. Should have said earlier! 

The thing with TM recoils is that people have too much money and not enough brain.

They don't really need any upgrade and will run just fine in their stock configuration.

If you want more range then a simple hop rubber swap is all you need to lift heavy bbs.

Now, if you want the energy to be as close as the limit as possible, you're going to spend a considerable of money as you'll need better gears (if I'm not wrong recoil gears are proprietary).

If you want a scar with good externals you can't go wrong with VFC, but expect trash internals and a hefty price tag for a fancy looking body.

Just get the TM and run it, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

If you still want more; then for upgrades, yes TM Recoils have huge potential, can get pricey, but god they do perform.

There will always be neighsayers but you cannot buy drop in engineering - by that I mean perfect gearbox and hop alignment, amazing hop unit design, not outdated M4 crap.

Im not a fanboy, just an engineer (edit: who thinks life is too short for turd polishing)

Thank you both, I’ve been really struggling with this. I want every gun possible and I want them all now! In reality, for the minute I can either get a TM or a couple of “lesser” stock guns. 

Ive never had a TM so I suppose I need to have one to compare everything else to. (Mind you now the SGR 12 has popped into my head so I’m as conflicted as I was before)! 😂

Im new to this forum as well and I must say so far, everyone has been great. I appreciate your input. 

TM SCAR it will probably be unless I get talked out of it again lol. 👍

44 minutes ago, Airsoft Newb said:

Thank you both, I’ve been really struggling with this. I want every gun possible and I want them all now! In reality, for the minute I can either get a TM or a couple of “lesser” stock guns. 

Ive never had a TM so I suppose I need to have one to compare everything else to. (Mind you now the SGR 12 has popped into my head so I’m as conflicted as I was before)! 😂

Im new to this forum as well and I must say so far, everyone has been great. I appreciate your input. 

TM SCAR it will probably be unless I get talked out of it again lol. 👍

I have owned a TM H Scar kept it stock it was a great performer recoil was fun, and bolt lock is a nice dynamic, but unless you really want those features get multiple cheaper guns (a hop rubber change can make a lot of a difference when comes to range). I get bored of guns quickly and have taken massive losses on few month old high end guns. in the end get what your heart desires but don't think everything needs to be up graded before you have used it.

Thanks Big Stew. I think I am actually starting to learn that. There’s so much info out there on how to upgrade and what to upgrade. It feels like I shouldn’t be using a stock gun or I’m going to get outclassed.  I changed out the barrel, hop up and hop rubber, changed the battery connections  to deans  as well as S- hopping my G&G and for what I’ve spent and the time I’ve spent,  the upgrades don’t seem to have actually accounted to that much so far. I should have just played it for longer I think and upgraded  when needed. Ive only skirmished it once and it was actually pretty good pre- upgrades. Glad I haven’t attempted to mess with the gear box. However, I have learned quite a lot for a guy who went to his first outing this year. 

I also love the recoil and bolt lock element. Plus the gun looks great! 

People like to modify/upgrade things to be unique, we are all guilty of it, we are all human.

If you like change or have a short attention span then only a fat wallet or lots of lesser guns is going to help that.

Run a TM Recoil, decent BBs.

If you want a 'new toy' then get a cheaper gun, but keep that TM, it'll always have your back.

Ive had far too many guns as have many others, what have I ended up with?

A lot of wasted(?) money

A TM MWS cos it's engaging

An ASG pistol cos it's fun / CQB

A CA MP5PDW cos I love them

A TM Recoil cos it wins me games

:)

Although changing out components can improve a gun one thing to consider is that the various manufacturers all work to different tolerances and different standards. I guess it's just a case of giving consideration to whether or not you are liable to keep something long enough to justify buying one excellent gun or if you are likely to be a bit more mercurial.

The TM Scar L I picked up off @Davegolf is an exceptional piece of kit to say the least and the build quality combined with the work carried out by Dave really makes it stand out in my collection. I also have an L85A2 which he did a lot of work on and I would argue that the Marui has the edge on it simply by virtue of Marui's manufacturing standards.

Thanks again Davegolf think I may go for TM after all. Feck knows when I’ll get to test it out properly though! At least I’ll have a reliable gun/ 1 guns then. I can fiddle later. 

Mind you. I must say, all this messing about has kept my mind off this lockdown business. And, I am massively pleased with the paint job I’ve done! I can’t believe how well turned out!! ((If I do say so myself) 😉

Just as another quick point, before I forget, a big advantage to the bolt lock/cut off on the NGRS guns which support it (some don't such as the G36) is that it prevents you from firing when the magazine is empty (I know this is kind of obvious) which guarantees you'll always have a shot ready to fire which eliminates the risk of dry firing and associated disputes which can occur.

Freefrag- thank you also. Now the L85 A2  is another one on my list! But again which one? 

I think I’d probably best save that for a different thread😂

Thank you all for great advice so far. I might stop watching YouTube for a bit and ask the people who know from now on! 

Just as another quick point, before I forget, a big advantage to the bolt lock/cut off on the NGRS guns which support it (some don't such as the G36) is that it prevents you from firing when the magazine is empty (I know this is kind of obvious) which guarantees you'll always have a shot ready to fire which eliminates the risk of dry firing and associated disputes which can occur.

Another good point, thank you. I love the realism though as well. Let’s face it, that’s what airsoft is mostly about. 

Plus, I guess you can’t call yourself an airsofter if you’ve never had a TM 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.