Rig for a Larger Gentleman

strykerles

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title says I'm looking for a lightweight chest rig for at least a 46" chest

I currently run an osprey vest that just about fits but i'd like something lighter and easier to move around in

all help appreciated as most websites don't usually include sizes on rigs

thanks

Hi

Im around the same chest size as you and also found it difficult to get a PC that fitted around my chest comfortably 

Im scared to try it on as lockdown isn’t encouraging  my activity levels 🙄

Have you thought about a battle belt that would allow a few mags etc to be carried, I’m thinking of going that direction to allow breathability but taking the gamble of the odd sore shot to the nipples 😂

1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Hi

Im around the same chest size as you and also found it difficult to get a PC that fitted around my chest comfortably 

Im scared to try it on as lockdown isn’t encouraging  my activity levels 🙄

Have you thought about a battle belt that would allow a few mags etc to be carried, I’m thinking of going that direction to allow breathability but taking the gamble of the odd sore shot to the nipples 😂

sounds like a plan, looked at a few belts with the shoulder straps too for support

• Supporters

I'm '48 chest, always recommending Bulle MLE rigs to players, big or small they'll fit you, light weight but great quality.

available in tan & od,  split front molle platform or fixed pouch set up, all excellent.

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5097.JPG

2 hours ago, strykerles said:

As the title says I'm looking for a lightweight chest rig for at least a 46" chest

I currently run an osprey vest that just about fits but i'd like something lighter and easier to move around in

all help appreciated as most websites don't usually include sizes on rigs

thanks

What about something like an old school assault vest? 

s-l640.jpg

How much stuff are you planning to carry?

Go with an actual chest rig rather than a plate carrier, as people have recommended already, there will be plenty of adjustment. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, strykerles said:

thanks everyone, been looking into the rigs and gonna order one later

Which did you decide to go with ?

6 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Which did you decide to go with ?

I've decided to go with a belt and sling setup, just ordering one now  actually :)

• Supporters

By belt & sling I'm guessing you mean a yoke/H harness, good traditional set up, not too much nylon cladding you so not too hot, plus if you like crawling or getting in the prone position you can set it up so your pouches start on your hips, nowt to snag on front.👍

26 minutes ago, strykerles said:

I've decided to go with a belt and sling setup, just ordering one now  actually :)

Literally nothing beats a belt + harness kit when it comes to comfort and breathability.

2 minutes ago, Skara said:

Literally nothing beats a belt + harness kit when it comes to comfort and breathability.

just trying a belt for now, see how I get on

can always pick up the harness later if needs be

thanks for all the help everyone

Alice or PLCE webbing might be a decent option, very adjustable and can often be found on eBay for a reasonable price. You don't even have to run the Alice style pouches, you can rig your molle loops up (sometimes needs securing with zip ties or string to stop any vertical movement of the pouches on the belt - easily done).

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/webbing/olive-webbing-and-accessories/olive-green-plce-webbing-set-1138639.html?pid=1380535&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2PP1BRCiARIsAEqv-pTzD_yBeOYEc-7TwgBsYlZb7my-ohdp20SYPu8kdLwbTfB3SOEgTXkaAm4NEALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Woodland-DPM-PLCE-Webbing-GRADE-1/264726748113?hash=item3da2f19bd1:g:1G4AAOSwyd1euDBV

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-M56-Webbing-Rig-6-Piece-Army-Military-Surplus-ALICE-Vietnam-Load/123538942349?hash=item1cc37ea98d:g:f2kAAOSwvcFcD87P

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, strykerles said:

just trying a belt for now, see how I get on

can always pick up the harness later if needs be

thanks for all the help everyone

You mention your a "larger gentleman" ?, as am I, wasn't always & when I had a defined waist it was easy to wear belt rigs, but as its expanded it makes it difficult to keep the belt up, especially once you start adding the weight of mags/pistol etc, the harness alleviates this problem but adds hardly any weight to the rig.

worth considering ?

5 minutes ago, Tackle said:

You mention your a "larger gentleman" ?, as am I, wasn't always & when I had a defined waist it was easy to wear belt rigs, but as its expanded it makes it difficult to keep the belt up, especially once you start adding the weight of mags/pistol etc, the harness alleviates this problem but adds hardly any weight to the rig.

worth considering ?

Agreed, a yoke / harness goes a long way. It also means you don't have to tighten the belt all that much as the weight and position is maintained by your shoulders.

by "larger gentleman" I meant round the chest lol

just 36" round the waist so i'll see how i get on with just the belt

only going to run 1 m4 pouch, 2 pistol pouches, grenade pouch and a pistol in a holster

maybe a dump pouch, not sure yet

• Supporters
1 hour ago, strykerles said:

by "larger gentleman" I meant round the chest lol

just 36" round the waist so i'll see how i get on with just the belt

only going to run 1 m4 pouch, 2 pistol pouches, grenade pouch and a pistol in a holster

maybe a dump pouch, not sure yet

Mate I'm barely a '38 waist & in proportion, but as Zarrin has pointed out, the harness puts the weight in your shoulders rather than hips, by the time we get allowed out to play it's gonna be hotter, so you may want to add a water bottle to the belt, more weight, nothing worse than trying to hoist it up with a rifle in your hands.

17 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Mate I'm barely a '38 waist & in proportion, but as Zarrin has pointed out, the harness puts the weight in your shoulders rather than hips, by the time we get allowed out to play it's gonna be hotter, so you may want to add a water bottle to the belt, more weight, nothing worse than trying to hoist it up with a rifle in your hands.

good point, i'll look into getting a harness

On 14/05/2020 at 16:45, Tackle said:

belt and pouches came today, very good shout on the harness too 👍

belt is fine without load but sags a little when loaded

just waiting for the harness, kydex grenade holster and universal pistol holster to turn up

Many thanks to @Skara @Tackle and @Zarrinfor the belt and harness idea

Fits a treat and is comfortable

Just waiting on a kydex grenade holder now

Thanks for the input from everyone else too!!

20200518_170456.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.