Kwa Vm4 T6 Does it Need Upgrading

GazW82

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

About to buy a kwa vm4 t6. 

I've read that it is a great gun out of the box other than the hop rubber, although apparently it can be alright after putting a mag of bb's through it.

Thinking of changing the following,

Dropping in a gate titan advance, new gears, new trigger, new hop rubber, new piston and piston head.

1) is it worth it on this gun

2) is it worth changing the hop up, barrel and or spring whilst I've gone this far

Whilst I dont mind spending the money I dont want to change something that is actually worth keeping.

Overall looking for increased rof, fps to be stable at 330/350 for site limits and a good range.

Thanks for any advice 

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, GazW82 said:

I've read that it is a great gun out of the box other than the hop rubber, although apparently it can be alright after putting a mag of bb's through it.

Leave it the fuck alone then.

Not exactly very helpful or informative...

Do you have one, have you done anything to it, what have you kept, what have you changed!!!

26 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Leave it the fuck alone then.

Not exactly very helpful or informative...

Do you have one, have you done anything to it, what have you kept, what have you changed!!!

7 minutes ago, GazW82 said:

Not exactly very helpful or informative...

Do you have one, have you done anything to it, what have you kept, what have you changed!!!

it's probably not put over the best way. KWAs are not particularly common on airsoft sites so not sure   you are going to get many answers. the attitude from the above user as so many people come on the site and say i haven't bought a gun yet what should i do to it and most of the the time the answer is nothing. just had a quick look the gun is priced at £350 in the uk and states it's minimum power is 340 FPS and states that's adjustable upwards. So basically its be toted has a high end gun you should not need to do anything to it out the box. you seriously want to dump £350 on a gun then replace everything pretty much doubling the cost? KWA have been around for decades at the price it should be good. if you like it buy it get  some good quality BBs at least 0.28g clean the barrel and go to your site firing range and set the hop then go play see what its like.  

1 minute ago, BigStew said:

it's probably not put over the best way. KWAs are not particularly common on airsoft sites so not sure   you are going to get many answers. the attitude from the above user as so many people come on the site and say i haven't bought a gun yet what should i do to it and most of the the time the answer is nothing. just had a quick look the gun is priced at £350 in the uk and states it's minimum power is 340 FPS and states that's adjustable upwards. So basically its be toted has a high end gun you should not need to do anything to it out the box. you seriously want to dump £350 on a gun then replace everything pretty much doubling the cost? KWA have been around for decades at the price it should be good. if you like it buy it get  some good quality BBs at least 0.28g clean the barrel and go to your site firing range and set the hop then go play see what its like.  

Thanks for a good bit of feedback. I used to have a VFC hk416 cqb which I just sold, I found that the range on that wasnt particularly brilliant and was kind of noisy in operation as well.

I'm new to upgrades as I left my old gun completely stock. I know I want a higher rof (change gears) and was thinking of the gate titan as the KWA is drop in ready so whilst it's open was thinking I might as well drop everything in at the same time but having never upgraded a gun wouldn't know where to start and where to stop. 

1 minute ago, GazW82 said:

Thanks for a good bit of feedback. I used to have a VFC hk416 cqb which I just sold, I found that the range on that wasnt particularly brilliant and was kind of noisy in operation as well.

I'm new to upgrades as I left my old gun completely stock. I know I want a higher rof (change gears) and was thinking of the gate titan as the KWA is drop in ready so whilst it's open was thinking I might as well drop everything in at the same time but having never upgraded a gun wouldn't know where to start and where to stop. 

sadly VFC reputation is beautiful exterior crap internals. if you do decide to upgrade don't mix and match manufactures for the gear box internals. 

4 minutes ago, BigStew said:

sadly VFC reputation is beautiful exterior crap internals. if you do decide to upgrade don't mix and match manufactures for the gear box internals. 

Thanks for the advice on mix n match 👍

32 minutes ago, GazW82 said:

You want range - TM Recoil

You want smooth running - TM Recoil

You want higher ROF reliably - TM Recoil + BTC/Titan + gearset + EagleM90 + 9.9V

Get a new if your budget allows or used Recoil, + those 4 mods will achieve more than youve probably ever expierenced and last a very very long time.

Get a solid base gun and get the internals done then leave it alone inside;

I know this looks quite different, but better to start with something like this https://airsoft-forums.uk/classifieds/item/10003-tokyo-marui-m4-cqbr-recoil/ and change the externals as you please over time.

Best

Dave

EDIT: Wanted to say - spend once wisely, get the base gun and save for upgrade later if needed. The stock TM is simply amazing anyway.

4 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

You want range - TM Recoil

You want smooth running - TM Recoil

You want higher ROF reliably - TM Recoil + BTC/Titan + gearset + EagleM90 + 11.1V

Get a new if your budget allows or used Recoil, + those 4 mods will achieve more than youve probably ever expierenced and last a very very long time.

Get a solid base gun and get the internals done then leave it alone inside;

I know this looks quite different, but better to start with something like this https://airsoft-forums.uk/classifieds/item/10003-tokyo-marui-m4-cqbr-recoil/ and change the externals as you please over time.

Best

Dave

Not really into recoil but will spend a bit of time looking at the info provided, and would definitely have to change that front end, hate the M4 front... Thanks

Its easier to change looks than internal quality - that is the moral of the story, an MLOK rail for an M4 is easy to find :)

I dont like recoil, i take it of my guns, easy to do. But mag empty detection is nice to have.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, GazW82 said:

Not exactly very helpful or informative...

Do you have one, have you done anything to it, what have you kept, what have you changed!!!

You mentioned a gun, said it was "great out of the box" barring the hop rubber and then asked if it was a good idea to literally rip out all the parts that make it a good gun and replace them with different parts despite having no experience doing it.

You've said you want the holy grail of increased RoF, range and consistency when you haven't even tried it, apparently basing your view on having to replace all those bits in a completely different gun from a completely different manufacturer.

Standard advice in this position is to leave it the fuck alone until you've actually used it and decided what is lacking then fix that. To use your own words "I don't want to change something that is actually worth keeping"

33 minutes ago, Lozart said:

You mentioned a gun, said it was "great out of the box" barring the hop rubber and then asked if it was a good idea to literally rip out all the parts that make it a good gun and replace them with different parts despite having no experience doing it.

You've said you want the holy grail of increased RoF, range and consistency when you haven't even tried it, apparently basing your view on having to replace all those bits in a completely different gun from a completely different manufacturer.

Standard advice in this position is to leave it the fuck alone until you've actually used it and decided what is lacking then fix that. To use your own words "I don't want to change something that is actually worth keeping"

I've seen a lot of videos on upgrades on this gun (also KWA upgrading this gun) and read a few posts of people who own the gun and started doing the upgrades and saying it has made it better. 

I am merely looking for advise from more sources so I can get the best out of it that I can. I'm not changing the motor as I've seen the performance difference between that, a high torque and high speed and prefer the results of the standard motor.

I havent seen much about hop ups other than it is proprietary so dont know how that would work as standard or to actually change it.

If you dont actually have any information or have this gun or used this gun please feel free to not actually post a comment at all.

I feel we need a Macks thread of the week at this point.

27 minutes ago, GazW82 said:

I've seen a lot of videos on upgrades on this gun (also KWA upgrading this gun) and read a few posts of people who own the gun and started doing the upgrades and saying it has made it better. 

The trouble is hubris. Very few people will admit to messing around with a gun and making it worse, most YouTubers have a vested interested in promoting guns/parts, so you need to be very careful what advice you take from them

3 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

The trouble is hubris. Very few people will admit to messing around with a gun and making it worse, most YouTubers have a vested interested in promoting guns/parts, so you need to be very careful what advice you take from them

I've seen the Joker/Black panther builds which look great but neither gun mentioned anything about the hop up unit or barrel. 

The main reason for asking all this is because I will be paying a tech to do it, whilst it's open and he's setting it up I am just thinking it would be best to get all the stuff done at once rather than getting it back and going 'actually I wished I'd done this ...' just seeking advise from others that may have this gun and already done or going through this process.

• Supporters

what do you actually want your gun to do?

because that's going to answer a lot of the questions as to what you should/shouldn't be doing with the internals.

you mention you want to change all the internals but why do you want to do that? what do you think a titan/gearset/flashy bits is going to do to the gun that will make it better at doing what you want it to?

there are a number of specific objectives you could be aiming for here, and depending on how high a standard you want to perform in a particular field is going to dictate what you need to do to acheive that and what you may have to sacrifice to acheive it.

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

what do you actually want your gun to do?

Call me a cynic, but  I would say to achieve safe zone cool points (that’s mostly why I mod my guns 😂😂)

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Call me a cynic, but  I would say to achieve safe zone cool points (that’s mostly why I mod my guns 😂😂)

see my mg42 does that very well, but once you get out of the safe zone almost anything else i have is better at the whole slinging plastic at people thing :P

7 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

No it's not for safe zone cool points..🙄😴

Forget I even bothered...

I am pretty sure it was quite clear in my initial question but some people just cant seem to get a grasp of that obviously!!!

Thanks to those who actually offered useful advise or alternatives, dont know why others even bothered commenting......

6 minutes ago, GazW82 said:

I am pretty sure it was quite clear in my initial question but some people just cant seem to get a grasp of that obviously!!!

Thanks to those who actually offered useful advise or alternatives, dont know why others even bothered commenting......

whoops, sorry boss 😛

• Supporters
1 minute ago, GazW82 said:

you weren't that specific.

for example you want "good" rof, well if your idea of "good" is "anything better than stock" then a basic mosfet and 11.1v battery will be all you need, if you want a 40rps hose then the requirements are going to be a bit more extreme.

you want 330 or 350fps, which is it? do you play more at sites with a lower limit that you'd rather go lower? do you want to be able to change with ease?

you want "good range", which can mean anything from just putting some geoffs .3's in a clean stock gun or dropping .48's into a gun with literally every internal part changed

this is the problem with providing recommendations as to whether for example putting a titan, which is an expensive and complex bit of kit that needs a lot of other factors in the gun to be up to scratch first, is the right thing to do or not.

this is why in lieu of anything specific the answer is to "leave it alone", if you have the impression the gun you're getting is going to be "good" (in your definition) out of the box then maybe you'll be sufficiently happy with the performance that you don't need to do anything bar keep it clean and feed it targets. likewise you might use it and find "hmm, i like the rof, and my bb's are going far enough, but the spread is terrible" or "hmm, my bb's are going where i want them to, but the trigger response is too slow" which can be as much down to personal preference and game style as anything else.

10 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

...lots of sensible things...

oh boo, that’s that thread sorted then 👍🏻

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, GazW82 said:

Unfortunately you've asked a question that's come up a thousand times before - you're eyeing up a decent gun and asked what needs doing to it then proposed a huge list of non-specific shiny parts that you're thinking of putting into it. It's kind of like going into a BMW showroom and asking what the performance is like then telling the salesman that you're planning on replacing the engine and the wheels with something completely different when you get it home.

Regardless, you did specify things like rof, fps and range but not how high a rof or what sort of range. The FPS you mentioned has a massive variation too.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.