Backyard Scope Query

Berry

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

New to airsoft guns, I bought one for myself and my son (17) to target shoot in the back garden. The gun I chose was a double eagle m59 (based on an L96). Added the optional bipod and 3-9 x 40 scope.

Unfortunately we haven’t got a very long garden. From where we are shooting from to the targets is 12 meters and the targets are 2 - 3 cm in size. 

The problem we have is that the scope can’t be zoomed in to the targets without it going blurry. Getting it in clear focus is better than using just our eyes but is there a scope that would be better suited? 

This is what we currently have: https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/rifle-scope-3-9x40-for-bb-guns-in-black.html

Gun: https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m59-sniper-rifle-in-blue.html

Any help gratefully appreciated. 

Are you using it at 9x magnification? typically at the upper end of an adjustable scope it's only gonna be focusable out to further distances. However I would imagine at 3x mag you might be able to get a focused image at 12 metres. I ran into this same issue when I started taking out the rats with my air rifle from within 10 metres, I tried several scopes, i finally got one tuned in at 5x mag for about an 8 metre shot. 

Obviously your particular scope is pretty much as budget as you can get - having said that, as long as it holds zero (which it is not guaranteed to do) it may be serviceable for your garden plinking.

Otherwise you may want to upgrade - however as far as I am aware even a more expensive scope would have the same problem of focusing at higher magnification on a close target.

Does the collar right at the front of the scope rotate? (Red ring in the picture)

If so then the scope has whats called parralax adjustment, and should help with focusing, so try experimenting with that, in addition to the magnification collar (blue)

Some scopes have the parralax on the rear eyepiece of the scope, so also check if thats the case on your scope, if the front collar doesnt move

20200509_163653.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

First time buying from bbguns4less, did take a long time to arrive but that seems normal for some places right now. I was missing a face mask from the order which they told me a few days ago they were refunding for but no sign of that just yet. Packaging was awful! It was all in a bag loose, obviously the gun was in its own box but everything else was loose. The scope had come out of its box and was just free to be bumped around. Luckily nothing was damaged but I wasn’t impressed at the lack of packaging. 

3x is the only setting it can be used on with a clear image. Is this going to be the closest then regardless of scope? 

Just checked and the bit you’ve circled in red does indeed move but doesn’t appear to do anything. It gets looser the more I turn it and feels like the lens will drop off if I keep going. The eye piece also appears to rotate but again doesn’t seem to do anything.

Ah no, definitely no numbers on it. Just been using the rifle and found I had to adjust the vertical adjuster again but I don’t know why. I’ve had the scope aligned just fine since I got it.

You're a bit restricted by the range you're using it at. 12 meters is way too short for a long gun, and way, way too short for a 3-9x40 optic. (on my centrefire rifles, I use a similar power optic out to about 250 yards) 

Are you planning to skirmish, or is this just for back yard plinking? 

Just as an illustration, how much was the scope over the cost of the gun? A basically serviceable rifle scope for air rifle or .22 would set you back somewhere north of £150. 

There is every chance the scope is as much a ‘replica’ as the L96 with very little in the way of true functionality but, as @Macv276 says. 12m is going to be well inside the set focal distance of any 9x scope. Have a look at something in the 100m+ sort of range and see if it’s clearer. Remove the scope from the rail prior to this if it’s an inhabited area, obviously. 

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be having issues. I’m finding that I keep having to adjust the left / right adjuster almost every time I come to use the gun / scope to get it to line back up and sometimes even part way through a session. This is from the same 12m distance to target and not windy. 

Any ideas why this might be?

3 hours ago, Berry said:

I seem to be having issues. I’m finding that I keep having to adjust the left / right adjuster almost every time I come to use the gun / scope to get it to line back up and sometimes even part way through a session. This is from the same 12m distance to target and not windy. 

Any ideas why this might be?

it's a cheap scope it's just not made well enough to retain zero it's just something you'll have to live with.

1 hour ago, Berry said:

None of the blurb with the gun or online says what sort of rail it is using to mount the scope on. How would I tell what I have?

Difficult to say from the bagged picture, but I’d say Weaver/Picatinny compatible

The difference between those two is with the spacing - Picatinny is more precisely defined.

C6B65D46-EFD8-47A2-8265-23A7D7D3BF10.png

(EDIT ... your gun picture wasn’t showing for me earlier .... so assumed the reference was to the mounts with the scope linked in the earlier post) 

Picatinny rail - you can use attachments that are designed for either Picatinny or Weaver

I believe most airsoft rifles use 20mm Picatinny rails.  Your picture certainly looks like a Picatinny

Check the diameter of the scope body.  You might be able to use the mounts you have from the current one

I use something like this and works fine on my L96.  Might be a copy but should still be good for 12m range.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reflex-2-6x32-Red-Green-Mil-dot-Sight-Rifle-Scope-20mm-Picatinny-Rail-Mount/362719063887?epid=27007417205&hash=item5473bdaf4f%3Ag%3A6fgAAOSwBHJdSlD1&LH_BIN=1

Be careful purchasing from the US as you'll likely get hit by import taxes and anything gun related can get stuck in customs.

You don't need the rails but 20mm Picatinny scope clamps.

Only ever bought from the US once and paid more in tax than what I ordered. Will definitely only buy from UK. It was the gun specs I found on a US site. For some reason where I bought from didn’t list a full spec.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.