Tokyo Marui Vsr-10 G-spec - Stock - Any Good!

Noddy45

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As a stock gun is it a strong enough option for a skirmish as I would be unable to upgrade due to restrictions of 1 joule or 328fps where I live.

I am not looking to take wings of midgets but I don’t want to be a mobey out there either.

I do like the concept of been a sneaky fecker but am unsure if it’s under powered as stock to be useful.

15 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Barely.

You'll be outgunned and even stock really they need a better barrel, hop combo.

The stock 45deg sears may last a game or 2 if you're lucky.

It is a fun play style though, check out fox green on YouTube as he's a 1j sniper.

Appreciate the reply, I felt as much.  Shame really as I have watched a few YouTube vids and  I do like thIs style. 
I will check out fox green cheers!!

10 minutes ago, Noddy45 said:

Appreciate the reply, I felt as much.  Shame really as I have watched a few YouTube vids and  I do like thIs style. 
I will check out fox green cheers!!

Whilst you are 1j limited, there is little to no reason to run a BASR as even the cheapest AEG will match you in range and seriously out perform in ROF.

I personally wouldn't want to run like that, I'd rather build a super nice AEG and use semi but I'm not 1J limited so I make the most of my 2.29J and VSR/SRS (whichever takes my fancy that day).

@Steveocee I have just watched a few of fox green vids - I liked the one where he used TM 417 on another he used novritsch sniper(won’t be going down that road though).

Still figuring this sport out TBH - fox green mentioned he did a few upgrades on the TM but didn’t say what - since he is restricted to 1J I presume it was just aesthetics.

4 hours ago, Noddy45 said:

@Steveocee I have just watched a few of fox green vids - I liked the one where he used TM 417 on another he used novritsch sniper(won’t be going down that road though).

Still figuring this sport out TBH - fox green mentioned he did a few upgrades on the TM but didn’t say what - since he is restricted to 1J I presume it was just aesthetics.

Most likely would be all the normal mods just not a huge spring. The factory sears are made of chocolate so always reccommended to change them.

12 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Most likely would be all the normal mods just not a huge spring. The factory sears are made of chocolate so always reccommended to change them.

He has a specific video on the upgrades that allows him to push to 450ish FPS if required as he intends to use the gun in UK and USA.  I don’t know what he replaced but sounds like everything and expensive - looks the biz though!

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
5 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Whilst you are 1j limited, there is little to no reason to run a BASR

There is one key reason - FUN

Restricting your effectiveness via equipment or playstyle can be a fun challenge - something to be considered in spite of the 1J restrictions. Ditching the gun and running around as a pacifist medic is some of the best fun to be had, for me at least

@Noddy45 If you know anyone with a bolt action, maybe ask if you can run with it for a game - see how you get on. 

In fact us Joule Challenged snipers have to work around other things.

More range is certainly an advantage on paper, but is it on the field?

Are people really popping shots from 80/85/90 metres all the time? I seriously doubt it. Most of the engagements happen between 20 and 50/60 metres, 1J guns are totally capable of reaching up to those distances, plus there is no MED to take into account which makes things easier for the sniper, as he isn't forced to draw a sidearm for those close up shots.

Everyone works to achieve mad J readings, we instead work on making our guns as quiet and consistent as possible, because while it's true that the enemy has the same range with their AEGs, it is also true that they can't hit us if they can't pinpoint us because they can't hear where the shot came from :) consistency is king and you'll be looking at removing any variable anyway (air leaks, inconsistent hop pressure, good quality heavy-ish bbs)

https://www.snipermechanics.com/vsr10-1j-build-simple-but-effective/

Dan made a pretty good guide on 1J VSRs.

One good thing about 1J guns is that you don't have to replace every single internal part to make it work ;)

90° sears are miles ahead of 45° ones, but the latter, due to the limited energy output, will last long enough for you to save money for a nice 90° trigger box and piston.

TM barrels are good quality, no need to change it right off the bat unless going for a specific build. Just clean them every once in a while and they'll serve you well.

The single most important upgrade one can do to his bolty is a TDC, and it costs pennies at the hardware store. the 2nd most important one is fixing the air leaks, ptfe around the rubber and silicone spray to lube all the o-rings, pennies again. And let's not forget about a ML rubber (€9, 11 if going for a MR-Hop) and tensioner (€5), not exactly the most expensive parts either.

I honestly feel like everyone got sucked into this "sniper builds must cost thousands" bullshit.

Also yeah @Noddy45 if you happen to have a mate with a VSR (or any bolt action really), ask if you can run it for a couple of games and see if you get on with it.

EDIT: half of the parts in FoxGreen's build are unnecessary on a 1J build. He states the gun is built to run at 1.8J for when he's in the UK or US, and that would make sense, because at 1.8J there is way more stress on the mechanical and seal components. But if you're only going to play in Ireland (I assume that's where you are) you will easily get away with the stock gun + new hop rubber, so that you can boast your "upgraded" 417 :P

• Supporters

it must also be born in mind that a 1j gun firing heavy ammo can still out-range it's opponents on the field.

i agree with @Skara silence is an under-rated factor for airsoft guns, and the ability to take pot-shots without alerting folk close to your position is incredibly useful.

however, @Steveocee also has a valid point, in terms of raw effectiveness it's much more reasonable to be using something semi/auto capable, the hundreds you could spend getting the best out of a bolt gun could be just as well spent getting an aeg or hpa setup that will not only do equivalent range with the right ammo, but also still be entirely useful in a close quarters fight.

it can be fun and a challenge though to give yourself a handicap, i've run a bolt action (and a pretty crappy one at that) in "speedsoft" events purely for the pleasure of getting kills with the worst possible tool for the job.

i wouldn't recommend jumping straight into it as a primary playstyle, but if it's a spare gun for occasional giggles then go ahead.

The TM is built for 1 joule out of the box to comply with Japan's own laws, so you really wouldn't have to change much if anything to mess about with it immediately (like @Skara said though a TDC and a good old barrel clean would be nice).

Loads of good info above, I'd agree 100% with the whole silent notion. I run an upgraded VSR and one of the lads at my local site about a year/two years ago bought a stock VSR down and I forgot how quiet they were. The only thing you're really gaining is a weapon which is quieter than others at 1 joule with a bolty.

If you're thinking about the sneaky boy life, I'd go ahead and recommend getting a MK23 (TM or one of the requisite clones - ASG/STTI). Whisper quiet, accurate and with a slew of mods available (TDC and a nice maple leaf rubber make them mean machines!). Massive amounts of fun and you'll have people a couple of metres away wondering what the hell is hitting them and you get the ability to make follow up shots too! :D

Great advice guys - Appreciated.

I read a previous post when searching the forum by @Steveocee I think about upgrading the vsr that it’s not just about getting the new parts in but it’s also getting them to work correctly and I am not at that stage where I could confidently do this hence why if possible I would like to buy a good enough stock product either it be a sniper, pistol or AEG.

I will try the sniper play as I just like the concept but I will find my feet with pistol and aeg.

I only have the pistol at the moment and saving for the aeg -Thanks again for taking the time chaps.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.