My Vsr G-spec Build

leadly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The easy option is to swap the spring out, or clip the existing one down. Though with the latter be sure to do this 'properly' it's not simply a case of clipping coils off, be sure to flatten it off and keep it clean. Using a piston with an airbrake is another option.

Either way I'd advise settling on the ammo you're intending to use, get your hop dialed in and then do your chrono tests. Once you know what you're on joule/FPS wise with the RIF set up as you'd use it in a game it's easier to advise on which is the best option.

If you're a little over, clipping a coil off is likely the most effective (both in terms of end result and cost).

If you're a lot over, lower powered spring.

If you want the option to fine turn further, piston with an airbrake.

Until you've got the information as to what it's shooting on a consistent ammo weight with the hop set for that weight it's hard to advise with anything more precise than that.

Welcome to the world of tuning a bolt action rifle, where changing one part has a tendency to waterfall into changing other bits. It’s half the fun... I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Ill perhaps have a play tonight and see what the FPS is. I'd like to go with the 0.46's so I'll swap the spring out to my M130 and see if that'll actually allow me to apply some hop before being over.

It'll be a while until I can get the hop set as I've only about 20m to play with at home. I am on nights in a few weeks so could take it in and have a play there as their is plenty of space!

6 minutes ago, leadly said:

Ill perhaps have a play tonight and see what the FPS is. I'd like to go with the 0.46's so I'll swap the spring out to my M130 and see if that'll actually allow me to apply some hop before being over.

It'll be a while until I can get the hop set as I've only about 20m to play with at home. I am on nights in a few weeks so could take it in and have a play there as their is plenty of space!

As hard as it is to avoid the temptation (I know, I've been there, it's hard not to tinker when you know something isn't right) I'd be inclined to avoid tweaking anything until you've been able to get the hop set somewhere close to where it needs to be to get that clean flat trajectory. You need to get your 'control' results before you can make informed choices on switching things around.

2 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

As hard as it is to avoid the temptation (I know, I've been there, it's hard not to tinker when you know something isn't right) I'd be inclined to avoid tweaking anything until you've been able to get the hop set somewhere close to where it needs to be to get that clean flat trajectory. You need to get your 'control' results before you can make informed choices on switching things around.

I totally get what you mean.

Changing the spring as you mentioned, seemed like the obvious first step that's all, especially as I've already got one.

My impatience to get things done takes over sometimes!

I've got decorating to distract me for a while though so I'll try my best to leave it alone before I get it adjusted right.

Cheers, 

Rich

6 minutes ago, leadly said:

I totally get what you mean.

Changing the spring as you mentioned, seemed like the obvious first step that's all, especially as I've already got one.

My impatience to get things done takes over sometimes!

I've got decorating to distract me for a while though so I'll try my best to leave it alone before I get it adjusted right.

Cheers, 

Rich

For sure, I'm exactly the same. But I've gradually learned over time that all it winds up costing me is more lube. As mentioned previously your hop is a tool to put spin on the BBs and get the trajectory as you want it with your desired weight, not a tool to adjust your FPS. Until you've got that hop set right there is just too much variation in terms of FPS/joules that'll come from adjusting your hop without knowing if it's correct or not to have any real idea which spring you're best off with.

I know others opinions may vary but I'll always advocate for ensuring your RIF is site legal on the ammo weight you're using. I dread to think how dangerous RIFs like the SRS could get if folks actively leaned into the fact sites seem to insist on chrono'ing on .2s with a limit of 500fps. With my SRS set up as is it's consistently 2.25J on a .48... which is 430FPS on 0.2g with the hop set to lift said .48s. I dread to think how much you'd be creeping if you were setting up for 500FPS on .2g. With my VSR setup as is I don't seem to find a huge amount of joule creep, but as we all know different parts create some very 'interesting' results at times.

I had a little play while I was waiting our curry to turn up.

Zero to very minimal applied but to just demonstrate the difference I did a chrono at 0.2 and the 0.46's.

Stuck them in my app to help plot things out!

Screenshot_20201101-193815.jpg

Screenshot_20201101-193328.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been too busy at work to actually get chance to get my rifle hopping correctly so I face going to my next skirmish *fingers crossed* without a "safe to use" sniper rifle. I can't really run around in a leaf suit and my louder than loud ARP-9 can I?

So, against your advise @alxndrhll..... (In which I am still very appreciative of)

I spent an hour tonight putting in my M130 spring which is firing (on 0.46g) 303 FPS @ 1.98j. Obviously the hop needs setting.

So we're safe from the nasty joule creep for now.

I do have, and may end up fitting some of those power up spacers that you can fit on the spring guide and a sorbo pad thingy for this piston, in the hope of raising the power slightly but I've got other things to sort out first.

My desperation to play and use my sniper is the only reason I've chosen to ignore @alxndrhll's advise for now, probably just for this game on the December 5th at Skirmish if it even happens.

The next time I goto Matlock Combat Games (probably in the new year) I hope to have my HPA set up sorted for my AAP-01, so I'll stick the heavier spring back in and take it there purely to test.

On a side note, I'm filling a rather large pot with money for a Wolverine MTW, so I can up my aggressive bush game when I need to!

Thanks for reading and thanks for all of the continuing advice. It's massively appreciated and has been a huge help in this build so far!

Stay safe!!

• 2 months later...

Finished work early so went into the garage like the good husband I am instead of waking the family up at 5am!

I managed to get my hop set up about right when I last played. Just chrono'd it and it's sitting 295 - 300 FPS on 0.46g and around 1.9j so I've got a bit to play with.

I'm not happy with my air seal so my plan of action is to get that as best I can, might even break out the dental floss.

I've marked the hop wheel so I can reset my hop to where it was and then see if I can get as close to 327 FPS which is the limit for 0.46g.

To do this I've got some power up washers and a sorbo pad to fit to the piston.

On a side note my mates bought a cheap cyma VSR10 so I'm quite looking forward to sharing what I've learnt with him!

Well, it was a lot of pissing about during a  planned late night "tech session" as I'm on nights tomorrow / today (Saturday), but after installing 6 power up washers and replacing the hop rubber (Autobot 60°) I now have.....

**Drum roll please**

IMG_20210130_030048.thumb.jpg.dd3aa236ab73eb97910af0dfb4ee1dd9.jpg

My limit was 329.7 FPS with 0.46g so I'm as close as I'm willing to get. Obviously it'll drop a bit once the bucking has bedded in.

It turns out my air seal was perfect all along, the only issue I have is that the barrel I've got sits behind a thread adapter for the supressor. So when the gun is built up I can get my thumb properly over the end to create a good seal.

A celebratory rummage in the chocolate tin is in order now I think!

And yes that is a baby milk powder tub I've got my chrono housed in!

I'm aware my hop will need sorting again but I'm hopeful I've got as much out of it as possible.

Until next time!!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.