My Vsr G-spec Build

leadly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

2 hours ago, Shaydee said:

You used to be able to get PDI products straight from Japan through x-fire at a good price but I can't find their English language site any more, think I read on airsoft sniper forum that it had been removed? Not sure.

x-fire.jp

They have binned their old english based site in favour of this new one with a better shopping cart system. You can still order as before, just let your browser translate for you. Major muck up from them though not redirecting traffic from the old site to the new.

3 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

x-fire.jp

They have binned their old english based site in favour of this new one with a better shopping cart system. You can still order as before, just let your browser translate for you. Major muck up from them though not redirecting traffic from the old site to the new.

Ahh nice one, will bookmark that as I'll inevitably get another barrel or two down the line. Cheers!

Small update.

I'm constantly refreshing my tracking details with parcelforce for my main order from Defcon! Should hopefully be here yesterday! So maybe tomorrow.....

Picked up a maple leaf bucking from UKFOB, a small retailer who runs his business from home. (Social distancing applied)

Got a can of WD's white lithium grease, £3.99 with my trade card from Halfords. Will come in handy for my classic minis door hinges etc as well!

Just need to set up a clean space and find some time to do it. My reduced hours have come to an end at work as of next week so even less time to play now I'm back to my usual shifts!

Delivery received! I'll be reluctant to use Defcon again if I can help it. £300 worth of bits jammed into a envelope that was too small, resulting in it splitting open. But anyway...

Found a great alternative use for my squat rack. My home gym now doubles as an armoury!!

Dry built the cylinder while I had 5 minutes but that's about it. Not back at work now until Wednesday night so hopefully I'll get a bit of time before then.

IMG_20200515_105957__01.jpg

It's alive!!!!!

Well after firing the bloody mag release spring across the gym twice last night, I managed to find it and glue the bleeder onto its peg to stop it from escaping again today!

Guns built, I've been playing around with the hop until the BB stops rolling out the end. A quick chrono and a bit of paper target shooting later and I'm really chuffed!

FPS is a hell of a lot more consistent, literally changed by 1 or two FPS now!

I think the 416 FPS I got was with a bit more hop applied than needed. Will hopefully get to play about another night.

I think with a better inner barrel I might hit 450 ish, so may get the M150 spring ordered for the time being!

Fires great though, trigger is nice and light, bolt pull is a bit harder but still easy enough!

I built a gun!!!!

IMG-20200517-WA0011.jpeg

Just before you go full ham on springs, check the joules with the weight you're going to use.

I'm using some of Geoff's super precision 0.4's.

Do you think with an M150 spring and allowing enough time to break in, it'll stay below 2.3j?

Then obviously I've got the inner barrel to factor in. Would a standard 303mm or a 430mm have an affect on anything?

IMG_20200518_073027__01.jpg

It'll be easier to fit the 303 as you won't need to drill the end of the outer barrel, I've never seen barrel length negatively affect accuracy (at least anything that's decent quality or not horrifically under volumed). No qualms about my 430mm anyways and that has been hitting kneecaps at ~50m pretty consistently, ideal for me as people forget they leave them sticking out when behind cover! 😄

Deffo chrono with your ammo like @Skara said - just to make sure you're not joule creeping over the limit. You can see you're already getting an extra 0.2J by using the 0.40s on what I guess is the stock barrel, obviously not a massive amount at the moment but can take you above the legal level. Worst case you can always lop some coils off the spring after you've let it bed in a little (leave it compressed overnight, etc)

Good choice on the geoffs and the action army unit btw, they'll serve you well when lockdown is over

1 hour ago, Shaydee said:

It'll be easier to fit the 303 as you won't need to drill the end of the outer barrel, I've never seen barrel length negatively affect accuracy

With BASR & HPA @ 500 FPS you'll definitely see accuracy gains past 65M

Deffo chrono with your ammo like @Skara said - just to make sure you're not joule creeping over the limit.

Is the OP joule limited?

Most sites are happy with 500 on 0.2s when 30M MED is enforced.

I would say you should definitely volume match to the BB weight you are going to use.

This shows that maximum energy is being transferred to the BB, which in turn confirms your barrel to cylinder volume ratio is correct thus there is not a load of turbulence on barrel exit or suck back.

1 minute ago, Davegolf said:

The issue is Joule creep.

500 on .2s doesn't mean it's within the Joule limit. Especially overvolumed guns (SRS, short barreled VSRs)

24 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

With BASR & HPA @ 500 FPS you'll definitely see accuracy gains past 65M

Is the OP joule limited?

I would say you should definitely volume match to the BB weight you are going to use.

This shows that maximum energy is being transferred to the BB, which in turn confirms your barrel to cylinder volume ratio is correct thus there is not a load of turbulence on barrel exit or suck back.

Any info on the shorter barrel accuracy stuff? I can't say I've ever seen any testing done showing them being more accurate - genuinely interested if you've got anything to hand.

True on the second part, a majority of sites still chrono on .2s and would be happy to label the gun safe to play, however if you're being truthful you'd be firing over the recommended energy limits. Also if I recall correctly UK law states 2.5 joules as the max for semi auto, anything over is classed as a firearm (airgun or otherwise, I forget the specifics).

I'll be ordering the new spring tonight! I'm just waiting on a 303mm Crazy Jet barrel to come back in stock and I'll stick one of those in.

1 hour ago, Davegolf said:

Is the OP joule limited?

I obviously am within the legal limits but don't feel though I want to take advantage of joule creep. I just want to shoot other like minded people with a sniper rifle, I'd hate to think I was causing unnecessary additional pain for no other reason than because I can!

I believe most of the websites of sites I wish to visit. Phoenix in Nottingham and another site in Matlock don't mention a joule rating, just no more than 500fps with a 0.2bb

I think a volume match for my target FPS and BB weight would be around a 470mm if I remember what I read yesterday. I could be totally wrong mind. It's all new to me so I'm bound to have misread something or purchased something that I shouldn't have.

@Shaydee I do not have photographic / video evidence if that is what you're asking.

From a lot of field testing at 80-100M (real) in ideal conditions collectively we confirmed the differences between the two barrel lengths - STD & G spec.

Theres a lot of false info on forums for sure, and anyone can take ot leave anything 😉

Agree with @Skara and @Shaydee on both sides yes the law is set on Joules, but conversely as stated most stock guns will be above the limit as soon as you run anymore than 0.2 due to massive factory over volume.

Most snipers are the most honourable of all airsoft players, they appreciate distance, the power they have, but moreover they enjoy the sport for the satisfaction of a long stealthy hit.

This is only achievable with joules.

If everyone was Joule legal then sniper rifles / 500 FPS should be banned cos who the fuck fires 0.2 from a sniper rifle!? 😂

It should be 450 FPS limit.

@leadly please just get a std style inner barrel, get a Prommy 6.03 or other equivalent.

As you say the stock cylinder can provide a whole lot of air and there are many ways to reduce this.

Getting volume right will allow the BB to gather energy, leave the barrel cleanly without turbulence, and make the shot report quieter.

You have the best tool already - a chrono.

Time, effort and patience will reap maximum joy in game, provided you don't have the shakes! 🤣

Right, so I'm going to go with the pictured.

Anyone recommend eagle6.co.uk? Basically the only place I could find with both bits I wanted.

I intend to fit the spring, chrono it, then the inner barrel and chrono again to see what or how the FPS changes!

Screenshot_20200518-213339.thumb.jpg.dd88c7867a1116dae59c497fb123f11c.jpg

13 hours ago, Davegolf said:

@Shaydee I do not have photographic / video evidence if that is what you're asking.

From a lot of field testing at 80-100M (real) in ideal conditions collectively we confirmed the differences between the two barrel lengths - STD & G spec.

Theres a lot of false info on forums for sure, and anyone can take ot leave anything

Ahh fair, nice to see someone doing their own research. Like you say there's enough people spouting that they can hit a man size target at 300 feet with an out of the box G&G raider :D Airsoft metres and all. My barrel is fine at the distances I engage at so personally no need to change for me!

Agree with @Skara and @Shaydee on both sides yes the law is set on Joules, but conversely as stated most stock guns will be above the limit as soon as you run anymore than 0.2 due to massive factory over volume.

Most snipers are the most honourable of all airsoft players, they appreciate distance, the power they have, but moreover they enjoy the sport for the satisfaction of a long stealthy hit.

This is only achievable with joules.

If everyone was Joule legal then sniper rifles / 500 FPS should be banned cos who the fuck fires 0.2 from a sniper rifle!? 😂

It should be 450 FPS limit.

Really we should bin chronoing on 0.2s for any springer/HPA gun and chrono on the bb weights people are using (AEGs are pretty hard to overvolume from what I remember reading). But getting everyone to switch around to that will take a bloody long time.

There's nothing else like it, at least for me, than creeping through the woods and getting that first shot hit and seeing others confused at where the hell it came from.

You have the best tool already - a chrono.

Time, effort and patience will reap maximum joy in game, provided you don't have the shakes! 🤣

This is the main thing, the amount of people I've seen around the net trying to tech and get their FPS right without a chrono is mad. It'll take a bit of time to get that hop dialed just right and get everything perfect, but man is it worth it.

11 hours ago, leadly said:

Right, so I'm going to go with the pictured.

Anyone recommend eagle6.co.uk? Basically the only place I could find with both bits I wanted.

I intend to fit the spring, chrono it, then the inner barrel and chrono again to see what or how the FPS changes!

Looks good! Just make sure you give it a clean before you fit it to get rid of any factory/storage gunk :) Eagle6 are decent, like @Davegolf said they can be expensive some times so shop around. If they're the only ones with the barrel about though and you're hankering I know what I'd be doing🤣

16 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Should mention, the 303mm is bridged where the 430mm isn't (referencing the Laylax PSS barrels).

If you run an Autobot or similar you will need to remove the bridge with a file

Ah ball bags, I assumed they'd be the same. It's ordered now so never mind, I'm sure I'll manage to remove it.

19 minutes ago, leadly said:

Ah ball bags, I assumed they'd be the same. It's ordered now so never mind, I'm sure I'll manage to remove it.

It's super simple. Good flat file and half an hour and you're golden.

**Check your PM's

Yeah so I've just realised I made a bit of an error.....

So I've been smashing holes in paper targets tonight and I thought right, I'll try get my hop up adjusted and play around with it.

I seemed to have to do a fair bit of tweaking up for it to make much of an impact and then "whammy" it hit me!

After @Steveoceementioning that I'll have to file down the bridge on the Laylax 303 barrel I bought so I could fit my Autobot bucking, I'd realised that I'd fitted that same bucking to the stock barrel......which is also bridged!! 

Hopefully I've not damaged the bucking. I've just been out to the garage to wind the hop up off until the BB falls out of the end to remove any pressure of it. Atleast it's pretty cheap if I have caused any harm to it!

Ah well, you live and learn. I'm not afraid to admit to my mistakes!

I was wondering why my grouping was a bit shit as well!!

On the plus side, Eagle6 have already posted out my order, so they've already made up for the extra quid or two its cost to order from them.

Right now back to my late night MK23 research, on nights tomorrow so I'll be up until daft o clock making shopping lists for next payday!! 

7 hours ago, leadly said:

Yeah so I've just realised I made a bit of an error.....

So I've been smashing holes in paper targets tonight and I thought right, I'll try get my hop up adjusted and play around with it.

I seemed to have to do a fair bit of tweaking up for it to make much of an impact and then "whammy" it hit me!

After @Steveoceementioning that I'll have to file down the bridge on the Laylax 303 barrel I bought so I could fit my Autobot bucking, I'd realised that I'd fitted that same bucking to the stock barrel......which is also bridged!! 

Hopefully I've not damaged the bucking. I've just been out to the garage to wind the hop up off until the BB falls out of the end to remove any pressure of it. Atleast it's pretty cheap if I have caused any harm to it!

Ah well, you live and learn. I'm not afraid to admit to my mistakes!

I was wondering why my grouping was a bit shit as well!!

On the plus side, Eagle6 have already posted out my order, so they've already made up for the extra quid or two its cost to order from them.

Right now back to my late night MK23 research, on nights tomorrow so I'll be up until daft o clock making shopping lists for next payday!! 

Shouldn't have done any lasting damage. I'd remove it for now as it could stretch a bit but I kinda doubt that though.

MK23 you'll want a decent rubber, barrel, a H-arm (I think this is the latest thing from Hadron as opposed to the I/H keys) and a TDC to be shooting lasers. If you're on the old facebook join the MK23 owners group, wealth of info on there!

2 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Could you link this mythical group? I cannot find it for the life of me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/741515265932144

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.