Winding a Hi-cap Mag.

Old Guy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sorry if this has been covered before but, just how much winding will an M4 High capacity magazine take?  My mag says 330 rounds (probably not relevant) so do I wind until resistance is felt and stop? Should I top-up the BBs after this point and how often to I need to re-tension the winder to work through a whole mag?

Thanks!

fill the magazine with BB's, wind the wheel until you see BB's at the top, keep winding until the clicking noise changes to a different tone. It will sound and feel like you can't wind it up any further. Place magazine in AEG and fire away. Get into the habit of fire and then wind to keep tension in the spring to keep the BB's firing out the AEG.

If you want to take advantage of the maximum BB capacity of the magazine top it up with BB's when the magazine is fully wound up.

In terms of understanding the mechanics, the winding compresses a flat wound spring which drives a paddle feed mechanism that takes BBs from the main body of the mag into a feed tube and then the hop unit. 

Wind until you feel resistance, that is the mainspring fully compressed, it will have fed the tube so you might have space for another 20 or so in the mag. No point winding any more at this stage.

If the mag is well designed and new the initial winding should feed all the BBs but if you top up during a game then it doesn’t hurt to wind a bit more to fully compress the spring again.

There shouldn’t be a need to frantically wind at every opportunity but keeping the spring wound means you won’t run out of ammo at a crucial moment (assuming you have some left in the mag). Let your own level of fear of empty mags guide you. 

you’ll know when you run out of BBs as you’ll get a disconcerting whirr from the mag as the spring tension releases with no BBs left to hold the tension on. This should be the cue for any aware enemies to light you right up. 

5 hours ago, Ropeyshep said:

you’ll get a disconcerting whirr from the mag as the spring tension releases with no BBs left to hold the tension on.

That's just the job, thanks. I shall listen out for the whirring noise. 

I hope that by the time I go for my first skirmish I shall have all the  knowledge I need to not make a hash of it.

I tried my Cyma cm501 for the first time yesterday and I am very pleased with it. Today my brother had a go and I was shot in the throat from about 15 yards and after the BB had passed through two thickness of 'knitted plastic' greenhouse shade mesh. They sting, don't they?

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

That's just the job, thanks. I shall listen out for the whirring noise. 

I hope that by the time I go for my first skirmish I shall have all the  knowledge I need to not make a hash of it.

I tried my Cyma cm501 for the first time yesterday and I am very pleased with it. Today my brother had a go and I was shot in the throat from about 15 yards and after the BB had passed through two thickness of 'knitted plastic' greenhouse shade mesh. They sting, don't they?

just wait until you play in the winter when you get hit in the ear or knuckle

22 minutes ago, mightyjebus said:

just wait until you play in the winter when you get hit in the ear or knuckle

I’ve got a pinky nail bruise that’s just working it’s way out after my last game. I hope I get a chance to play again before it’s gone completely. 

After being let down by my Chinese mesh-mask provider I was going to go 'bare-faced' into my first skirmish but since taking the shot to the throat I am devising a lightweight EVA foam solution. I liking making stuff anyway so this will  be fun.

Just buy a One Tigris mesh or part cordura mask off Amazon. They cost very little and are very effective. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OneTigris-Tactical-Protective-Paintball-Adjustable/dp/B06XQBJ4CS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=one+tigris+mask&qid=1588547004

On 03/05/2020 at 22:31, Old Guy said:

After being let down by my Chinese mesh-mask provider I was going to go 'bare-faced' into my first skirmish but since taking the shot to the throat I am devising a lightweight EVA foam solution. I liking making stuff anyway so this will  be fun.

Definitely don't go bare faced mate

The site I used to go always get one of the regulars to mention his replacement teeth at the safety briefing.......they cost a couple of grand!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.