Painting a Gun Two Tone by Myself

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi there, I am relatively new to airsoft and I am looking to buy a gun off prefired however it is black or RIF. Am I allowed to buy it and paint it myself? So long as it is the majority a bright colour, also it is a bit ambitious but to recreate a gun skin from a video game such as csgo in which it would have all over details and design but may not have a sharp bright colour, is that allowed if it doesn't look like a real gun? 

14 minutes ago, Darragh Rice said:

Hi there, I am relatively new to airsoft and I am looking to buy a gun off prefired however it is black or RIF. Am I allowed to buy it and paint it myself? So long as it is the majority a bright colour, also it is a bit ambitious but to recreate a gun skin from a video game such as csgo in which it would have all over details and design but may not have a sharp bright colour, is that allowed if it doesn't look like a real gun? 

The seller would be committing the offence under the VCRA by selling to you without you having your defence.  You could paint after purchase but there is no legal requirement for you to paint a RIF into an IF when you already possess it.

Technically if you buy with the intent to use the RIF to play on an insured site then you are a valid purchaser, but the seller won’t have taken reasonable measures to ensure you have a valid defence under the act.

For two tone design the law requires the majority of the gun (eg over 50%) to be painted in one of the specified bright colours. It does not define how it is painted or any designs.

It you painted a game skin design that isn’t a bright colour then it would not count.

• transparent
    • bright red
    • bright orange
    • bright blue
    • bright yellow
    • bright green
    • bright pink
    • bright purple

For example there is the Hello Kitty pink gun design that seems popular in the US.  It wouldn’t qualify as Hello Kitty pink is not ‘bright pink‘

• 2 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator
On 29/04/2020 at 06:53, Steveocee said:

If you bought the gun then it's not you who is committing an offence so there is no need to paint it.

Assuming that the OP is an adult, otherwise it is illegal to buy either an IF or RIF if under 18.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.