Double Eagle M904g – Aka the Original Q Honey Badger

mightyjebus

7 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

@Gonz. I run an ML Macaron 60 degree and Omega nub in the stock hop unit, and agree that the ML bucking is tight, you do have to use some force and possibly a little silicon oil to get it to sit well on the barrel and have the "patch" properly in the barrel's hole (the lip has been fine for me).

I'll be honest in that I know the bucking is not sitting 100% perfectly, however it hops perfectly and grouping is spot on.

That's great info, thanks.

5 hours ago, JVacation said:

Just had a look and it does seem like it has the same issue as you have mentioned. 

Fatboy40 says it shouldn't cause any issues and hasn't had any. I would however recommend going for a new barrel. @ak2m4 have maple leaf barrels which should be the best possible fit for the rubber and he might have some more zci barrels soon which are cheaper and may have a tiny bit better performance than the ML ones. 

I've done a lot of testing with my m904 and finally have it to where I want it. Recently I found a bit of an air leak between my zci hopup and the casing which swapping back to the stock one eliminated and boosted my fps

Thanks for confirming your experience is the same. I'm glad it's not just me.

So I guess I could go with it as is or maybe enlarge the cutout in the stock barrel. I'm also open to swapping out the barrel and if ak2m4 is due some more stock of ZCI barrels, that might be my preferred option. I have been contemplating getting a 247mm ZCI barrel as it's in stock and the flash hider has enough space to hide the extra length.

Otherwise, the gun seems to shoot well. Mine is just curving BB's to the left a bit, which is why I ordered the rubbers. FPS on 0.20's is right around 346 fps average and 7.4v lipo is plenty. 

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Hmm, that does seem pretty thicc.  Just grabbing what's nearest, I'm measuring a ZCI at 1.3mm and (I think) a stock CYMA barrel at 1.5mm. I'm actually surprised that they're so different from each other, let alone from yours, I'd never thought to measure them before.

Both of them take a Maple Leaf Macaron without issues, and I can see why you'd be having a problem with a 2mm thick bridge.

Ah, perfect info thanks. I will measure the bridge on the Nuprol tonight. 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Gonz. said:

I have been contemplating getting a 247mm ZCI barrel

What is it you need? 229mm?  There's an AOLS in stock in that length, and I'm happy enough with the AOLS 455mm in my DMR, paired with a Maple Leaf Macaron.  The bridge at the end is 1.3mm wide.

16 minutes ago, Gonz. said:

I have been contemplating getting a 247mm ZCI barrel as it's in stock and the flash hider has enough space to hide the extra length....

... FPS on 0.20's is right around 346 fps average... 

@Gonz. Be aware that the inner barrel you mention should take you over the typical UK 350 FPS AEG limit if you already get 346 FPS, and I've a feeling that it will probably be to the point where you'll chrono noticeably hot if a site is playing fair (the stock inner barrel is 215 mm with a 6.05 diameter).

@RogerborgThanks for the recommendation. If ak2m4 has some ZCI barrels coming in, I may just wait for one of those. 

@ak2m4 Thanks for the heads up. I'm after a 229mm barrel.

@Fatboy40 I didn't think such a small increase in barrel length would make a noticeable difference, so I appreciate the warning. I can wait a month for more stock to arrive, but it's useful information to have on the forum. Makes me wonder what fps I'll get if I stick the 363mm barrel from the Nuprol in it 🙂

• Supporters

Mmm, I only went for the AOLS because the ZCIs were out of stock, but I can't fault it.  They do indeed come well oiled inside, is the only thing I'd note. 

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Mmm, I only went for the AOLS because the ZCIs were out of stock, but I can't fault it.  They do indeed come well oiled inside, is the only thing I'd note. 

Definitely the best priced / performance inner barrel out there.  Super dirty inside though

9 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

Definitely the best priced / performance inner barrel out there.  Super dirty inside though

@ak2m4 This is a partial thread hijack, however over Xmas I'd like to build a DMR based on a Double Eagle platform, and I note your liking for the AOLS inner barrel.

I see that they're all a 6.01mm diameter, very tight, so do you have any recommendations for maintaining them / preventing potential BB jams? (I've also read, and this is not a hard and fast fact I'm presenting, that for a DMR perfect hopping is king more than the tightness of a bore, and a tight bore can be detrimental as there's no "air gap" for cushioning the BB / it could clip a foreign object more easily in the tighter bore?)

54 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

@ak2m4 This is a partial thread hijack, however over Xmas I'd like to build a DMR based on a Double Eagle platform, and I note your liking for the AOLS inner barrel.

I see that they're all a 6.01mm diameter, very tight, so do you have any recommendations for maintaining them / preventing potential BB jams? (I've also read, and this is not a hard and fast fact I'm presenting, that for a DMR perfect hopping is king more than the tightness of a bore, and a tight bore can be detrimental as there's no "air gap" for cushioning the BB / it could clip a foreign object more easily in the tighter bore?)

From my own personal experience I don't get too hung up on bore sizing, especially with lower price cheaper barrels.  If you took a bore measuring tool you'd probably find it was nowhere near the specified size lol.... As for maintenance I'd take out and clean after every game (that's just me though).

• Supporters

I'm perfectly happy with a 455mm x "6.01mm" AOLS in a DMR.  In conjunction with a full cylinder, it also lets me get >1.8J out of a slightly cut down M130 spring rather than anything more gearbox-stressing.

On 15/10/2021 at 14:49, Pilotcialde said:

Hi guys, i got a minor issue. I'm going to install a new nub on my M904e, but i can't remove the pin that keep the nub in the hop up. Any advice?

Use something slightly smaller diameter wise than the pin, hold it against it, and give this a very gentle tap to ease the pin out 👍

Great thread this. Am looking for my first rifle to start outdoors, was mainly doing practical pistol before covid. Was going to go SA edge series but the reviews are not great for those guns. Think I'll go for an M904E instead.

I am so very close on buying a DE M90... something.
It's probably going to be one of the metal bodied versions, so 906 upwards, as they're starting at £160 at Patrolbase right now.

But I need a final bit of advice:

I'm looking at the DE site, and the Patrolbase info, and I'm struggling to understand the differences between the 906/907/908 series.  I can see there are different barrel lengths, and slightly different flash hiders and rail styles... but is that it?
The M906E is cheapest at £160, the M908A the most at £230... that's a big price difference - are they really just cosmetic differences, or is there more to it than that?  

Hmmm, talking of barrel lengths, I liked the idea of a compact gun, and I was looking at some of the really stubby PDW-style carbines before, but as I have a feeling this is going to be my primary for a while - should I take one of the longer barrel options for woodland combat?  Does extra barrel length equate to better effective range on these guns?

al DE's are the same motor, gearbox, hop and inner barrel although the inner barrel will vary in length depending on the AEG. So there are no differences and you will be picking the one that you like the look of the best or the addition of metal parts to replace the plastic parts on other models.

A longer barrel should give you a small FPS boost which will give a slightly longer range but not much to be honest. Being accurate at longer range is probably more important. it's ok flinging a bb 55m but its no use if its' off target by 2 meters. Using heavier BB's will also give you a range increase. A lot of people on this thread use ZCI barrels and Maple Leaf hop rubbers to get better range but for me the standard barrel with a S hop and .32g BB's has the same effect.

18 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I am so very close on buying a DE M90... something.
It's probably going to be one of the metal bodied versions, so 906 upwards, as they're starting at £160 at Patrolbase right now.

But I need a final bit of advice:

I'm looking at the DE site, and the Patrolbase info, and I'm struggling to understand the differences between the 906/907/908 series.  I can see there are different barrel lengths, and slightly different flash hiders and rail styles... but is that it?
The M906E is cheapest at £160, the M908A the most at £230... that's a big price difference - are they really just cosmetic differences, or is there more to it than that?  

Hmmm, talking of barrel lengths, I liked the idea of a compact gun, and I was looking at some of the really stubby PDW-style carbines before, but as I have a feeling this is going to be my primary for a while - should I take one of the longer barrel options for woodland combat?  Does extra barrel length equate to better effective range on these guns?

Did you order the last 906E then?😁

Every time I go on there the one I want is sold out. Decided it was time to act and ordered myself the 906C version.

@RostokMcSpoons

Bit of a guide for the different types of DE M90:

4 is polymer
6 is metal with a forged style body
7 is metal with a milled style body
8 is a different more TM spec body with a Geissele style handguard and a different stock

For the M904s:
The length varies with the letter
A-D have metal handguards
E, F and H have M4 stocks
G, L and R have the PDW style stock.
R and H have suppressors.
G and E have different grips from the rest.

5 hours ago, JVacation said:

8 is a different more TM spec body with a Geissele style handguard and a different stock

Also worth noting that the 8's have a longer battery cable running from the Falcon controller, so easier to use with stock that supports crane / butterfly batteries in them. Also not all models have ambidextrous fire selectors on them, so those with only the switch on the left of the receiver will be easier to add a mechanical lock to them so that auto can never be selected.

My Xmas bonus is going on an M908A which I'll be building a DMR from, I'll be moving my PTS EPS stock to it taking advantage of the longer battery cable, plus the metal body will be easier to add a bolt to the receiver to prevent the fire selector ever being set to auto as the selector is single sided.

8 hours ago, Nunfa1 said:

Did you order the last 906E then?😁

Every time I go on there the one I want is sold out. Decided it was time to act and ordered myself the 906C version.

I've not.  The cheapest 906 has now sold out (e version) so I'm now at £170.  Seeing as that's very close to the 907 prices I can go for one of those if the 6's sell out.

The problem is my wife, frankly 🤣. If a big box turns up when she's around, she will know I've been spending and there'll be some 'sub-optimal scenarios' started.  Or she doesn't see it, then she'll never know the difference to the bank balance (she never has the faintest clue unless I tell her), and she won't tell the difference with my other guns, I'd be fine.

But sods law dictates the courier will turn up when I'm in a meeting, and she's home from her part time work, and she'll open the door to it!

The alternative approach is I sell a guitar and can point at a wodge of cash I've raised.  That will take a week or two though. And I'll have to say goodbye to a lovely guitar 😔

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Mine arrived today, very fast work from Patrol Base.

Took it for a quick trip to the shooting range and it's fab. Zeroed in the sight, slight hop adjustment and it was perfect.

I should point out that I'm a complete novice with all this stuff. The real test will be next week when we go to our first outdoor skirmish.

20211028_192225.jpg

13 minutes ago, Stevobeavo said:

I think I bought the last 904H from patrol base on Friday night! 

Should go well with my 904G. 

There not much finer recommendation of a gun than buying a second variant of it...!