Double Eagle M904g – Aka the Original Q Honey Badger

mightyjebus

well that turned up quicker than I was expecting. Ordered the 9th and arrived 5 days later from Hong Kong.

ACP2.thumb.jpg.405555ee34a76534441c13de8f132d26.jpgACP1.thumb.jpg.7512fdfe9c0aafd4a98897924756e34f.jpg

DE ACP556 pictured below the Arrow Airsoft ACP9.

I can do a seperate review if people would think it would be useful.

@mightyjebus Not a gun I'm particularly interested in, however a Honk Kong reseller that ships that quickly with no problems is very interesting (as Double Eagle has no stock of anything anymore in the UK).

Was this sent to the UK or elsewhere?

19 hours ago, mightyjebus said:

I can do a seperate review if people would think it would be useful.

Yes please mate. I had no idea this was on the horizon as an airsoft product. I love the styling of B&T guns, and this piques my interests. I'd be all over it if it had the plastic side-folder stock instead of the collapsible.

Just now, Speedbird_666 said:

Yes please mate. I had no idea this was on the horizon as an airsoft product. I love the styling of B&T guns, and this piques my interests. I'd be all over it if it had the plastic side-folder stock instead of the collapsible.

DE have different stock options in the works. Think a folding stock is coming out soon. 

2 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

Was this sent to the UK or elsewhere?

sent from HK to the UK

2 hours ago, JVacation said:

DE have different stock options in the works. Think a folding stock is coming out soon. 

It's an official license with b&t so I'd imagine different stock and different sizes AEG's might be in the works.

• 2 weeks later...

I really do appreciate this forum for open talk and sharing experiences to others as it’s helped me with my build. I have only had this two months and I don’t want to play with anything else. I generally play in CQB environments so low FPS doesn’t really cause an issue however I have had a reduction of FPS and I didn’t know why. When I bought the gun it chrono’d at 350-360 FPS w .20. After a few months and about 40k rounds it started to drop into the 320 range. My local shop tech suggested compression upgrades to stabilize the FPS. I am in the process now. My first upgrade was a 120% spring. It chrono’d at 465/1.77 jz w .20. Let’s just say our field outlawd me and back to the shop I went. I swapped for a 110% spring (quick and easy spring change system) and chrono’d at 392-395 @ 1.4 jz w .20. I plan on mastermod cylinder set and piston. Max HOPUP but can’t find the right bucking to start with. What have you all used and had best results from? 

DBDF89E7-8B91-407A-B4F5-CC1FAD70D0E4.jpeg

Edited by Str8airsoft

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Str8airsoft said:

I really do appreciate this forum for open talk and sharing experiences to others has helped me with my build. I have only had this two months and I don’t want to play with anything else. I generally play in CQB environments so low FPS doesn’t really cause an issue however I have had a reduction of FPS and I didn’t know why. When I bought the gun it chrono’d at 350-360 FPS w .20. After a few months and about 40k rounds it started to drop into the 320 range. My local shop tech suggested compression upgrades to stabilize the FPS. I am in the process now. My first upgrade was a 120% spring. It chrono’d at 465/1.77 jz w .20. Let’s just say our field outlawd me and back to the shop I went. I swapped for a 110% spring (quick and easy spring change system) and chrono’d at 392-395 @ 1.4 jz w .20. I plan on mastermod cylinder set and piston. Max HOPUP but can’t find the right bucking to start with. What have you all used and had best results from? 

DBDF89E7-8B91-407A-B4F5-CC1FAD70D0E4.jpeg

Out of interest were are you located ?, I'm guessing non UK as legally that's too high for UK fields

39 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Out of interest were are you located ?, I'm guessing non UK as legally that's too high for UK fields

100% not UK as you can't get the tan M90X's over here.

@Str8airsoft I lost FPS in my M904E as well (same rifle as yours apart from the stock). The problem for me was that the spring in it is a bit cheap and nasty and had compressed over time, losing me around 25 to 30 FPS on 0.20g BBs. A Guarder SP100 spring brought things back to normal (the compressed stock DE spring was 10mm shorter than the Guarder SP100, and the DE spring also did not have tighter coils at one end).

On 27/09/2021 at 12:35, Tackle said:

Yes I’m in Tennessee, US. Here they regulate indoor maximum 400fps under 1.5 jz. Semi only no minimum engagement however outdoors can regulate different engagements with caps of 450 depending on the weapon class.

Edited by Str8airsoft

9 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

100% not UK as you can't get the tan M90X's over here.

@Str8airsoft I lost FPS in my M904E as well (same rifle as yours apart from the stock). The problem for me was that the spring in it is a bit cheap and nasty and had compressed over time, losing me around 25 to 30 FPS on 0.20g BBs. A Guarder SP100 spring brought things back to normal (the compressed stock DE spring was 10mm shorter than the Guarder SP100, and the DE spring also did not have tighter coils at one end).

My spring wasn’t beat but looked cheaper than what I replaced it with. Like your replacement mine was about an inch and a half longer and much darker color as well. I bought mine in June, this is the old spring. 

DECAB0C8-C4A1-4594-9D88-D5FF05176F6D.jpeg

Edited by Str8airsoft

@Fatboy40it's also a cactus jack version of the m904. I believe there are 3 companies currently "making" the same gun. 

I've noticed a bit of a drop in my fps lately too. Especially with the heavier ammo. Shooting about 0.88j on 28s but 1j on 20s.

Let me know how you get on with the spring. Are you still running your oem inner barrel? 

3 hours ago, JVacation said:

@Fatboy40it's also a cactus jack version of the m904. I believe there are 3 companies currently "making" the same gun. 

I've noticed a bit of a drop in my fps lately too. Especially with the heavier ammo. Shooting about 0.88j on 28s but 1j on 20s.

Let me know how you get on with the spring. Are you still running your oem inner barrel? 

DE also manufacture under the "QAP" brand (which appears to me more prevalent in Japan?), Cactus Jack is a new one on me, thanks for the heads up.

The Guarder SP100 has sorted things nicely, and AK2M4 has said that he's noticed hardly any compression of the spring in his own testing (which I think has gone into the tens of thousands of shots). I'm still running the OEM inner barrel, however an ML bucking and nub, and I doubt I'll change it as I'm right at the UK AEG limit FPS wise and with the ML bits my grouping is more than good enough.

(I'm hoping to spend my Xmas bonus on an M904F though, build a DMR with it, and that will more than likely get a different inner barrel).

On 27/09/2021 at 19:30, Str8airsoft said:

What have you all used and had best results from? 

Stock hop up unit, Maple Leaf Barrel and Maple Leaf Super Macaron 60 degree bucking. No modification needed, stock internals (360fps even after tens of thousands of bbs). It's more than accurate for CQB but I still believe it could do better for outdoors (maybe Maple Leaf Mr. Hop bucking and/or ZCI barrel, idk).

Edited by doom9

I've got an M904G and seen some of you mention putting maple leaf macaron hop rubbers on the standard barrel, but mine doesn't seem to fit properly. The protruding part on the inside of the rubber doesn't quite fit the cutout in the barrel.

When I push the rubber down through the cutout, the wider end of the protrusion catches on the thin piece of barrel between the cutout and the end of the barrel. If I stretch the rubber on to the barrel a bit more it works fine, but the rubber won't stay there on its own. 

I've measured the thin section of barrel between the cutout and the end at 2mm and I think the clearance between the rubber inner protrusion and the end of the rubber (on the inside) is about 1.5mm.

The rubbers are from @ak2m4 so are genuine. Does anyone know whether the rubbers are out of tolerance or is 2mm of barrel section more than normal? I'm also interested to know if the ZCI barrel has a thinner section between cutout and end.

Would appreciate any pointers. 

Airsoft Dad. 

2 hours ago, Gonz. said:

I've got an M904G and seen some of you mention putting maple leaf macaron hop rubbers on the standard barrel, but mine doesn't seem to fit properly. The protruding part on the inside of the rubber doesn't quite fit the cutout in the barrel.

When I push the rubber down through the cutout, the wider end of the protrusion catches on the thin piece of barrel between the cutout and the end of the barrel. If I stretch the rubber on to the barrel a bit more it works fine, but the rubber won't stay there on its own. 

I've measured the thin section of barrel between the cutout and the end at 2mm and I think the clearance between the rubber inner protrusion and the end of the rubber (on the inside) is about 1.5mm.

The rubbers are from @ak2m4 so are genuine. Does anyone know whether the rubbers are out of tolerance or is 2mm of barrel section more than normal? I'm also interested to know if the ZCI barrel has a thinner section between cutout and end.

Would appreciate any pointers. 

Airsoft Dad. 

Have you tested the gun with it fully built? It may not be a huge issue. 

I am running a zci 229mm which seems to be fine however the lips need trimming for reliable feeding.

It is also possible your hopup rubber is a anomaly and is a bit different to the rest. 

2 hours ago, JVacation said:

Have you tested the gun with it fully built? It may not be a huge issue. 

I am running a zci 229mm which seems to be fine however the lips need trimming for reliable feeding.

It is also possible your hopup rubber is a anomaly and is a bit different to the rest. 

Thanks for responding.

I haven't tested it because I can see the contact area of the rubber does not clear the cutout in the barrel. The Macaron contact area has a triangle shape and it's the base of the triangle that is catching. Consequently it's only the point of the triangle that is pushing down through the cutout and that won't be able to provide a consistent hop. 

I have 2 new Macaron 60 deg rubbers and both are the same. This is what they look like, which apart from the untidy edge on the inside, seem to be fairly consistent with stock images like the one below.  

20211007_012338.thumb.jpg.cbf20e77b13d3a5fa5dabee7cf6cb563.jpg20211007_011748.thumb.jpg.e1b5415b91ff4a681e140b2e07aaf859.jpg

internal-800x800.jpg

Thanks for the info on having to trim the rubber lips with the ZCI barrel. 

If you still have the original barrel, would you be able to measure the thin bit of barrel between the cutout and the end? 

@Gonz. I still run the standard inner barrel in my M904E, which is exactly the same as the M904G apart from the buffer tube / stock, as my FPS on 0.20g is around 346 so don't want my gun to be hot.

I run an ML Macaron 60 degree and Omega nub in the stock hop unit, and agree that the ML bucking is tight, you do have to use some force and possibly a little silicon oil to get it to sit well on the barrel and have the "patch" properly in the barrel's hole (the lip has been fine for me).

I'll be honest in that I know the bucking is not sitting 100% perfectly, however it hops perfectly and grouping is spot on.

8 hours ago, Gonz. said:

Thanks for responding.

I haven't tested it because I can see the contact area of the rubber does not clear the cutout in the barrel. The Macaron contact area has a triangle shape and it's the base of the triangle that is catching. Consequently it's only the point of the triangle that is pushing down through the cutout and that won't be able to provide a consistent hop. 

I have 2 new Macaron 60 deg rubbers and both are the same. This is what they look like, which apart from the untidy edge on the inside, seem to be fairly consistent with stock images like the one below.  

20211007_012338.thumb.jpg.cbf20e77b13d3a5fa5dabee7cf6cb563.jpg20211007_011748.thumb.jpg.e1b5415b91ff4a681e140b2e07aaf859.jpg

internal-800x800.jpg

Thanks for the info on having to trim the rubber lips with the ZCI barrel. 

If you still have the original barrel, would you be able to measure the thin bit of barrel between the cutout and the end? 

Just had a look and it does seem like it has the same issue as you have mentioned. 

Fatboy40 says it shouldn't cause any issues and hasn't had any. I would however recommend going for a new barrel. @ak2m4 have maple leaf barrels which should be the best possible fit for the rubber and he might have some more zci barrels soon which are cheaper and may have a tiny bit better performance than the ML ones. 

I've done a lot of testing with my m904 and finally have it to where I want it. Recently I found a bit of an air leak between my zci hopup and the casing which swapping back to the stock one eliminated and boosted my fps

On 28/09/2021 at 12:25, Fatboy40 said:

The Guarder SP100 has sorted things nicely, and AK2M4 has said that he's noticed hardly any compression of the spring in his own testing (which I think has gone into the tens of thousands of shots).

Think you've got your springs mixed up buddy, never said that about the Guarder springs.  Gearparts springs is where I've done the 200,000 cycle test.   Guarder don't even bother to oil their springs from the factory the cheap-skates 🙂

• Supporters
19 hours ago, Gonz. said:

I've measured the thin section of barrel between the cutout and the end at 2mm

Hmm, that does seem pretty thicc.  Just grabbing what's nearest, I'm measuring a ZCI correction an AOLS 6.01mmx455mm at 1.3mm and (I think) a stock CYMA barrel at 1.5mm. I'm actually surprised that they're so different from each other, let alone from yours, I'd never thought to measure them before.

Both of them take a Maple Leaf Macaron without issues, and I can see why you'd be having a problem with a 2mm thick bridge.