Oils/Lubricants

Maligator

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Tried doing a search but ended up with loads of classified adds, im sure this has been asked many a time though.

What lubes do you all use for your GBB rifles and pistols? 

WD40 Silicone spray for plastic parts

GT85 and light oil for metal (depending if I can wipe it over or need to spray into hard to reach mechanism)

I use Abbey LT2 grease for metal-to-metal parts, silicone oil for the rest. I also use a little maintenance gas occasionally and when I don't plan on using a gun for a while to help keep magazine seals etc. in good condition.

If you are going to use a more powerful gas such as guarder power up or black gas you may want to use a thicker Dielectric silicon gel in the magazine seals - I've found it works very well to maintain them under higher pressure.

This kind of stuff: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dielectric-Silicone-Grease-Universal-Use-15Kv-mm-50-C-to-230-C-50g-Tin-/172745276722  

Parker Hale gun oil for all metal on metal - doesn't attract dirt etc and become a grinding paste, corrosion inhibitor and waterproofer, makes your RIF smell like a real gun 🥰

TechT GunSav silicone grease for all airseal components.

Simples

Ah, so gun oil is fine? Ive got plenty of gun oil. 

Cheers for the advice. Only got the glock so far, will be getting a TM MWS when I can 

Ive always used that gun oil for metal on metal slides, cocking handles, trigger sets etc.

Its thin, penetrates, washes out etc. Just dont get it on the air seal / rubber parts.

I try and avoid gun oil. It’s good for metal to metal parts, but degrades any rubber/silicone rubber parts it comes into contact with so it will significantly shorten the life of magazine valves, hop rubbers and other ‘o’ rings.

The problem is it is very difficult to avoid getting any oil you use on the moving parts over all of the parts in the mechanism. The action of the bolt/slide is very good at ensuring that however careful you are when putting the lube on it ends up with a fine layer over all the parts including the silicone rubber ones.

If you do use gun oil it’s not going to immediately break your gun, but you will get a much shorter lifespan from the rubber parts than someone who used a silicone based oil. It up to you to decide if this trade off is worth the increased protection/performance it offers on the metal to metal parts.

The general advice for airsoft is to avoid gun oil. It is fine on metal to metal of course, but will weaken plastic and destroy rubber if it migrates on to them.

For rubber ie. seals - use only silicone oil.

You can also use silicone oil for metal surfaces sliding on plastic ones.

For metal on metal some use Abbey LT2 grease or white lithium grease. 

I prefer and recommend Superlube Synthetic Grease with PTFE . Don't confuse it with Superlube Silicone Grease which is not a recommended lubricant on metal to metal. 

The Synthetic Grease is also available in an oil form. It comes in a little applicator shaped like a pen.

Both Superlube Synthetic Grease and Oil contain teflon and are safe to use on plastic and metal. They are said to be safe  on most rubbers, though not all. For that reason I would stick to silicone oil for rubber.

The Superlube stuff is not cheap unless you buy direct from America, and are prepared to wait a couple of weeks. Well worth the wait in my opinion.

On 29/04/2020 at 17:49, jsmithski said:

Superlube stinks, silicone is not good on metal on metal, better stay with Getsome 1000. Does not stink, does not damage rubber, works better than anything.

I haven't noticed.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what the likes of Mintex Ceratec and https://products.liqui-moly.com/ceramic-paste-3.html work like over the long term. 

The latter is very slippy (miles more slippy than copper slip) and also stays in place and doesn't pick up dirt too much.

The former is a relatively poor "slippy" lube but stays in place well and doesn't seem to attract dirt too much.

The Abbey LT2 grease is pretty good on airguns / metal to metal with the molybdenum content although whilst having a tube (and using it) I wonder what it's characteristic are compared to the tubs of Car CV Grease that seems cheaper per Kg... 

I'm currently experimenting with the Mintex Ceratec in my son's Tamiya model car with plastic gears...

Anyone use ATF / Power Stearing Fluid?

I only use "3in1" on car doors... :)

The ceratex would be good on gears.

I use a Tamiya ceramic on gears or an open gear moly.

Everything else would either be a contaminant to rubbers and O rings.

The OP is focusing on cylinder/piston lubrication thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

TechT grease and oil is fantastic and lasts ages, does not harm plastic or or rings.  I've seen some tests with it v Silicon oil, grease and superlube. It and superlube beat plain silicon by miles

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.