Padlock for Gun Case

Smembury24

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi there,

Im wondering what is the best Pad-Lock for a Gun case?

ive bought this off amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-70606040-Shackle-Laminated-Padlock/dp/B002C04322/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=hilka+padlock&qid=1587982712&sr=8-9#customerReviews

but the box more or less opens still?

so what ine is best 

• Supporters

just keep your stuff in the car?

i'm surprised there isn't more theiving on airsoft sites, maybe i'm just lucky but in all my time airsofting i've only heard a few secondhand accounts of stuff going missing.

• Supporters

ahh yes, i'm getting the situation now.

is it just a problem of the size of it? if you're not worried about someone really trying to get into it then one of those small travel padlocks could fit the bill.

otherwise, if you're not going to be regularly accessing it (certainly for the immediate time it looks like nobody is) then a cable tie could also do the job.

You'll need to measure the dimensions of the padlock holes & surrounding area of the case(s) you have and check that against the padlock sizes to find one that'll fit. Or, you could probably pad out the extra length of the shackle with something (nuts/washers maybe).

44 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'm surprised there isn't more theiving on airsoft sites, maybe i'm just lucky but in all my time airsofting i've only heard a few secondhand accounts of stuff going missing.

Airsoft just wouldn't work / wouldn't be fun if players weren't honest. Plus any decent site should have someone in the safe zone at all times to prevent things like that happening anyway.

if you just want to keep something closed a cable tie will be fine. if you want it to be locked - then you will need a lock. I suggest you either get a smaller padlock or have a look at some chains that you can loop through and then lock with the padlock you already have. not sure if this would be cheaper though!

46 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

just keep your stuff in the car?

late last year i went to a site i've not been to be before - a forum member flagged here that someone had a gopro stolen which sucks. with that in mind i ended up keeping my stuff in the car and guess what - it was a fucking pain in the arse!!!! 

• Supporters
27 minutes ago, Ad_ said:

Airsoft just wouldn't work / wouldn't be fun if players weren't honest. Plus any decent site should have someone in the safe zone at all times to prevent things like that happening anyway.

true, the majority tend to be pretty dead on, but i'm still surprised it doesn't happen that frequently.

i tend to leave most of my stuff in the car at games, pretty much anything that's out is expendable (eg gas an ammo)

25 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

late last year i went to a site i've not been to be before - a forum member flagged here that someone had a gopro stolen which sucks. with that in mind i ended up keeping my stuff in the car and guess what - it was a fucking pain in the arse!!!! 

yeah i have heard a few stories, couple of pistols gone walkabout, even a shotgun. but nowhere near as bad as it could be.

pretty lucky that the sites i frequent it's not too hard to get parked pretty close to the safe zone.

Just a some general advice on padlocks, those laminate design ones are fairly useless because they're relatively easy to pry apart between each stack. Stick with single piece designs. 

I use these style padlocks

They fit my pelican case and are robust enough for my purposes (prevent accidental opening and deter opportunistic thiefs). I tend to keep my case locked between games etc. Its can be a pain at times yes, but I'd rather not risk my rifs which I've sunk a lot of money into. Also being of brown skin complexion, I absolutely don't want some rando member of the public seeing a RIF because the case opened accidentally or purposefully and then putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 (CTSFO). That I suspect would be a very unpleasant experience at best and at worst... 

As mentioned above, for simply stopping young kids getting at your nice toys a zip tie or those combination TSA luggage locks would do the trick. Alternatively put some thing heavy on the case that the kids won't be able to shift if they're young enough 😁

Edited by Encore
Product link was incorrect, updated to correct link

21 hours ago, Encore said:

Just a some general advice on padlocks, those laminate design ones are fairly useless because they're relatively easy to pry apart between each stack. Stick with single piece designs. 

I use these style padlocks

They fit my pelican case and are robust enough for my purposes (prevent accidental opening and deter opportunistic thiefs). I tend to keep my case locked between games etc. Its can be a pain at times yes, but I'd rather not risk my rifs which I've sunk a lot of money into. Also being of brown skin complexion, I absolutely don't want some rando member of the public seeing a RIF because the case opened accidentally or purposefully and then putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 (CTSFO). That I suspect would be a very unpleasant experience at best and at worst... 

As mentioned above, for simply stopping young kids getting at your nice toys a zip tie or those combination TSA luggage locks would do the trick. Alternatively put some thing heavy on the case that the kids won't be able to shift if they're young enough 😁

thank you for your response! 

im going to get 2 of them padlocks! Will help at the games and at home! 

4 hours ago, Smembury24 said:

thank you for your response! 

im going to get 2 of them padlocks! Will help at the games and at home! 

Just realised my link was wrong in the previous post, updated it now but I'll post it here too! Abus 64ti/50

That one should actually fit, the prior one is far too small. My bad!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.