Making a Battery Pack

Old Guy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am curious to know if I can assemble several 3.7v 18650 ex-laptop batteries into an 11.1v power pack for an AEG? Is it as simple as, perhaps, shrink-wrapping them into a stick with + and - terminals ending in an appropriate connector? I'll bet it isn't. There are bound to be complications about amperage or discharge rates!

• Supporters

It's that simple, but they have low discharge rates, so use it with light loads: no high torque or speed motors, not too strong spring, etc.

Also, soldering them into a stick is very tricky, especially if they don't have soldering tabs on them. Or should I say super hard without some proper equipment as solder wont flow on their ends as you would've expected and heating it for more than a second or so will damage the battery.

The type of chemistry typically used in 18650 cells (and especially the kind normally used in laptops) is unsuitable for providing the kind of current an AEG requires. Mix that in with cells likely being in varying states of wear due to previous use further limiting how much max current they can put out & their effective capacity... doing this would be asking for disaster.

Right, that's a big 'don't bother' for this idea. Thank you Airsofters, this is all new and purely theoretical for me as I don't yet even own a rifle BUT I expect to receive one by mid-week. Bought from a forum member at a very reasonable price for an 'as new' M4 style Cyma I expect to have a new obsession very soon. Let the games begin!

• Supporters

For batteries, can't recommend Componentshop.co.uk enough, helpful guys & fair prices for a UK supplier.

As for making them, not worth the effort versus cost, & potential heartache if they go wrong.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
1 hour ago, Tackle said:

For batteries, can't recommend Componentshop.co.uk enough, helpful guys & fair prices for a UK supplier.

As for making them, not worth the effort versus cost, & potential heartache if they go wrong.

Component Shop will also make custom batteries for you if you can't find one that suits your needs, such a good shop and miles above the rest, Hobbyking etc.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.