Lonex Motor

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've put a Lonex A2 motor into my ICS sportline M4 & its screeching. The motor height is ok & I know its down to the pinion gear.

Thinking of putting the pinion gear from the standard (removed the pinion gear from the slow motor) motor onto the lonex motor. 

Will I get the screech still if I use the original pinion gear 

Cheers people 

Nick 

• Supporters

are you sure the motor height is ok? because if there's one thing an m4 is good at it's being a bastard to get the grip together without squishing a wire under, over, or beside the motor meaning no amount of adjustment is going to help you.

11 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

are you sure the motor height is ok? because if there's one thing an m4 is good at it's being a bastard to get the grip together without squishing a wire under, over, or beside the motor meaning no amount of adjustment is going to help you.

This. I did this with the first M4 I worked on. 

1 hour ago, n1ckh said:

I've put a Lonex A2 motor into my ICS sportline M4 & its screeching. The motor height is ok & I know its down to the pinion gear.

Thinking of putting the pinion gear from the standard (removed the pinion gear from the slow motor) motor onto the lonex motor. 

Will I get the screech still if I use the original pinion gear 

Cheers people 

Nick 

Strange, the A2 is one of the quietest and smoothest Motors i own and has very little whine to it.

Try connecting it up outside the pistol grip, pull the trigger and see what it sounds like - a good condition, working A2 should give a low whirring sound as opposed to anything too whiny.

It may be that your particular set of gears just doesn't mate very well with the A2 pinion, if this is the case then as you say, an alternate pinion might work, but as @Adolf Hamsterand @Asomodai have said above, really try to rule out any spacing adjustment issues. With a flat screw driver adjust the height screw literally 1mm at a time - test and re test to see if you cant get a good sounding mesh. 

Thanks for the replies guys. 

Done the motor height adjustment like I have on my other M4's (I always start at zero on adjustment screw when removing motor) & its the same issue. 

That's what leads me to thinking about swapping out the original pinion gear but wanted peoples opinions/thoughts 

• Supporters

Poxy motor swaps....

The overall height of a long motor is "about" 88.5mm but can vary 0.5mm either way

(even more in very rare instances)

reason is how the actual armature sits on the axle itself, plus how well & centered the armature 

sits or shimmed to the magnetic field also how much play there is (and some have considerable play)

(even had piss poor shimming & badly fixed magnets (too high or unevenly glued in)

and though these bit lemony examples are mostly cheapo stock motors, there have been some neodym's with poor QC

The end bells can be nice & near snug sitting in motor plate guides or shit loads of sloppy play

the motor plates sometimes surround the end bell more & sometimes hardly offers much guidance

plus as you wind up the motor height there gets even less side support for end bell

then there is the amount of surround space inside the grip, with very loose support produce a slight clunk as motor starts/stops on examples where the motor/grip has so much play it's like chucking a sausage down an alley

(as the Bishop said to the Actress)

The classic cheapo motor issue where the cheapo motor plate's tiny metal disc falls off throwing out height/adjustment

is another ball ache issue - glue the bastid on the end bell (carefully, not the axle itself but a hairline application just to secure it)

Placement of wires and the way they can alter or throw the motor angle out, really ensure as you push down on motor plate it rises & falls smoothly to ensure hopefully it is all aligned OK still

The tip of the motor, the motor tower....

SHS AIRSOFT

The above is std cheapo motor - no bearings on the tower, instead of one at the tip

or some have two bearings, one at top & one on the bottom inside with a sleeve

But that isn't the only thing thing....

Some towers have near 10mm diameter and fit rather snug in grip & gearbox entry

Others are near 9mm diameter resulting in more potential play to shift motor angle

and/or allow the angle to shift around when installed

Pinions....

Fucking hell do they vary, some are straight cut at base, some are slightly angled at outer edge

which you have to remember when trying to set basic motor height - it might "look" correct

but the outer edge of pinion's teeth are not quite meshing on outer edge of bevel as you might think

Then there is the angle in which the teeth are cut that you want to ensure meshes as close to 90° as possible

(and hopefully roll smoothly)

Some pinions like G&G's are not straight cut but slightly curved on some of their motors (not all, depends on motor model)

and they can be picky on meshing with certain bevels & stock bevels & stock pinions do not always mesh that great either

I could go on but you get the gist of how shit don't always go to plan....

Try to compare the heights of two motors as a very rough starting point

paying attention to where the pinion is situated, often they are near flush but at times

they can be set a little lower or higher on motor spindle & that is the real reference point to start with

as said check the way the wiring is routed & placed in the grip as you refit the motor making sure the end bell is located correctly on motor plate etc....

If all else fails you might have to swap the pinions, but both are likely to be O type pinions so need motor/pinion puller

and carefully understand how it used to not force the armature further up/down the motor axle

finally, do smear a little - not a ton, of grease on the new motor's pinion

Motor swaps - easy eh - nope

some shit works smoothly but on the poxy wanky M4's especially there is loads of potential issues of slack

plus sloppy motor angles that adds to stuff running like shit - PITFA

for all the sloppy motor suffers out there - this is for your sloppy motor getting on down....

21 minutes ago, n1ckh said:

Done the motor height adjustment like I have on my other M4's (I always start at zero on adjustment screw when removing motor) & its the same issue. 

But that doesn't matter if the motor wire is below the motor, Make sure the motor wires are not caught on the grip base. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.