Non Chinese Manufacturers

Nick G

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

heh... no, but it's fair to say that the coronavirus has made bit of a difference to all of our lives, and will continue to do so for some time yet :)

2 hours ago, Ad_ said:

Much of this disruption, suffering and death could have been avoided had the Chinese government been more responsible and open in dealing with it early on, e.g.:

If they didn't silence doctors warning about the possible emergence of a SARS-like disease around November last year
If they didn't "disappear" whistleblowers and journalists reporting on the situation
If they didn't lie repeateadly about the nature and extent of it

and so on.

They could - and should - have learned from the previous times they've had this kind of thing happen and taken steps to prevent it happening again, before it blew up into such a major problem as it has now. They pointed the blame at the Wuhan wet market for providing the conditions for it to emerge,  and such wet markets have been the source of previous diseases, yet since reopening they have made no changes in how these wet markets operate so it'll inevitably happen again at some point (there's also a possibility that it was leaked from one of the two nearby labs that were researching coronaviruses... we may never know for sure, but ultimately it doesn't really matter).

In which case it would be about Corona.

1 minute ago, CombatVVombat said:

In which case it is about Corona.

Not for me it isn't , simply feel China is becoming too powerful at the expense of the rest of the world. Others may feel differently. Interesting where this thread has gone.

The coronavirus is part of it but not all of it, just the most recent thing. The PRC is a regime that runs concentration camps, keeps political prisoners / "disappears" people critical of the regime, uses prisoners as organ banks, etc. and there are also many other things such as their recent treatment of Hong Kong.

And then there's also the aforementioned issues with being way too dependent on them to the point that they effectively have us by the balls right now.

Don't worry, you don't have to start listing off the terrible human rights violations commited by China. They've been doing terrible things for years, and will likely continue to do so unless there are some big changes to the government.

I was trying to clarify why a thread that started off with a comment about Corona deviated to saying that it wasn't remotely about the spread of Corona.

I was trying to get more of an understanding about the motivation behind it as it seems to be a repeating theme onlien. Whether it was a 'final nail in the coffin' situation, a wake up call that lead to people learning more about how the CCP behave, or just a case of  'It's imapcting me now so let's do something'.

• Supporters

Unfortunately, I think the mid-long term economic effect of covid-19 on businesses in the west may actually INCREASE our reliance on products manufactured in the ROC.

?🤔

11 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Unfortunately, I think the mid-long term economic effect of covid-19 on businesses in the west may actually INCREASE our reliance on products manufactured in the ROC.

?🤔

ROC or PRC or both?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

ROC or PRC or both?

My bad, I was referring to mainland PRC, I think as far as manufacturers go, China will bounce back much quicker than the west, an almost unlimited expendable workforce, driven by an aggressive determined dictatorship will plow on as if covid-19 was a mere hiccup. 

Whereas the businesses in the west who manage to survive will be slow to reinvest in r&d etc, as well as finding new viable business partners for supply/contracting out some of the processes, we'll be playing catch-up for a considerable time.

imho 🤔

36 minutes ago, Tackle said:

My bad, I was referring to mainland PRC, I think as far as manufacturers go, China will bounce back much quicker than the west, an almost unlimited expendable workforce, driven by an aggressive determined dictatorship will plow on as if covid-19 was a mere hiccup. 

Whereas the businesses in the west who manage to survive will be slow to reinvest in r&d etc, as well as finding new viable business partners for supply/contracting out some of the processes, we'll be playing catch-up for a considerable time.

imho 🤔

I agree completely

3 hours ago, CombatVVombat said:

I was trying to clarify why a thread that started off with a comment about Corona deviated to saying that it wasn't remotely about the spread of Corona.

The thread was never about the spread of corona, I started it as I am just trying to reduce the 'made in china' element of my life as far as possible. That is driven by not liking how much power china wields these days and the worlds dependence on them. I'm not remotely concerned about goods from china still having active virus on them. That said , China will of course take advantage of the effect the virus is having on the west.

Ok I can see that could be confusing and not worded as well as I should. What I meant was that covid has brought China more into the public eye and made me think about the amount of stuff we buy that is made there ! 

I blame it on the fact that was the third time I had written the damn post out, broadband kept going down ! probably a bloody Chinese router 🤣

41 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Ok I can see that could be confusing and not worded as well as I should. What I meant was that covid has brought China more into the public eye and made me think about the amount of stuff we buy that is made there ! 

I blame it on the fact that was the third time I had written the damn post out, broadband kept going down ! probably a bloody Chinese router 🤣

your not... burning down 5G phone masts are you?  you know, Uncle Xi is always watching

• Supporters
On 26/04/2020 at 08:18, Macv276 said:

one child policy ect. 

That was abolished 4 years ago...

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, Macv276 said:

Oh well, that makes it okay then 🤷‍♀️

Of course it doesn't. Depends on whether or not you feel that historic issues should be held against a nation in perpetuity or not. I mean...we invented scalping and concentration camps after all.

Tbh... theres an awful lot of people on the planet... so maybe they were onto something.

'Given the human population is around 60 million, we actually outnumber rats by six to one.'

Source:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20716625

32 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Eh?

Shoulda quoted the post. In regards to one child policy and devils advocate

4 minutes ago, kasaran said:

Shoulda quoted the post. In regards to one child policy and devils advocate

Still don’t get it, where does the rats and 60million come into it lol?

19 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Still don’t get it, where does the rats and 60million come into it lol?

China introduced the one child policy to help population control as back then with closed borders there were too many of them.   https://www.britannica.com/topic/one-child-policy

In follow up on loz's comment i thought to be devils advocate on suggesting it wasnt such a bad idea.  The rat thing is something i read recently that suprised me and can be used in support to saying there are a crazy amount of people and only finite resources.   

*tangent*

7 minutes ago, kasaran said:

China introduced the one child policy to help population control as back then with closed borders there were too many of them.   https://www.britannica.com/topic/one-child-policy

In follow up on loz's comment i thought to be devils advocate on suggesting it wasnt such a bad idea.  The rat thing is something i read recently that suprised me and can be used in support to saying there are a crazy amount of people and only finite resources.   

*tangent*

Nope still don’t get it. Where does 60M and rats come in? 

25 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Nope still don’t get it. Where does 60M and rats come in? 

Supporting evidence to the size of human population...? Doesnt matter

7 minutes ago, kasaran said:

Supporting evidence to the size of human population...? Doesnt matter

nope, still don’t, UK pop is 67M, China is 1.4B, where does 60 or rats come into it?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.