Dark Theme/Mode?

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yo.

I like my eyesight and want to keep it :P

Seriously though,

Would it be possible to have a dark(er) mode/theme available? Would put much less stress on our precious mk1 eyeball sighting systems, as spares are quite hard to come by.

mmkay, where am I supposed to find it?

1.jpg

Seems to be working well!

Will update if I find some weird stuff :P

Dark mode 1.JPG

Dark mode 2.JPG

• Root Admin

Particularly around the classifieds where I have made a lot of custom edits to better suit us, but this might require flicking between the light and dark theme (which isn't something I'd expect you to do). If you see anything that you remember being different in the light theme (that isn't just colour) that's the kind of thing I'm looking for :)

Think I found something already, the various buttons colours need to be redone.

Some are contrasting too much, others are barely visible.

Just now, proffrink said:

Particularly around the classifieds where I have made a lot of custom edits to better suit us, but this might require flicking between the light and dark theme (which isn't something I'd expect you to do). If you see anything that you remember being different in the light theme (that isn't just colour) that's the kind of thing I'm looking for :)

nvm my last :P

Will have a look ;)

The "latest" statuses/threads/posts/adverts tabs have disappeared from the mobile version.

They do show up just fine in light mode.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, proffrink said:

How are we getting on with this? Has anyone noticed any issues with the template or is this good to go out of 'testing'?

I just found this thread - this is a lot better already.

I don't like having the white quick-reply box though, although that might just be better for text formatting purposes I guess. 

• Root Admin

Likewise I think a few of the buttons are still showing in a light grey/white, which needs fixing. I'll do another pass on it this weekend and then we'll announce it.

If anyone else has some feedback for me please let me know :)

• Moderators

think the light these is easier to read, defines the areas better, found dark not as expected when you look at outlook/teams etc.??

• Moderators

dark theme does show the gold border better! :lol:

text just looks to faint and the insert button is hard to read....
image.png.aa0c9e0eb2be4673b9fae209e8414205.png

but when you edit a message...much easier, to see can that be the dark theme default?

Something that just clicked for me:

image.png.7457f090d01be1d5dbf9e6647820cb36.png

With the light theme, threads are marked as read after visiting them, with no new posts. 

image.png.2382050fd4bfa841998c13fef67892f6.png

The same is true for the dark theme, but it's not clear enough owing to how new threads are merely bolded. Maybe switch text to grey once read?

E: TBH, change all text to grey if possible - appreciate it's personal preference but the below screenshot shows the difference between the two. Grey is much nicer on the eyes.

image.thumb.png.7165841d9c37b8b9e88adf0348354eec.png

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

The colours on all these links have now changed because it was causing problems in the text entry areas (such as composing a topic or reply). The style for these areas is inherited from the same colours set for any link on the website that isn't explicitly a menu item or something really important.

So now the two different shades of blue will be present on the dark theme too (identical to the light). Hopefully this the secondary effect of making read topics more obvious.

Oh, I'm liking this.... let's what it's like in the dark under my bed covers... IO hazard to think it may be a tad difficult to read text but will report back later...

@proffrink I did something similar for one of my community websites, but instead of trying to maintain two separate themes, I maintained one (to keep up with new updates) and added a little bit of javascript code to add a "lights out" button on the website which would append a "lights-out" class attribute to the main body element of the website, then you can add a `body.lights-out` in css and just maintain a css style which would override default if they button had been clicked, this can be saved per user session using `localStorage` too.

PM me on here or discord if you think it might be easier to go down this route and I'll show you some examples and how to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.