Dust / Mud Spray Job Advice

Zarrin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello there!

For a while now i've been thinking about attempting a realistic battlefield dusted look on either my M733 or sopmod/Knights M4A1.

I'm not particularly experienced when it comes to spray jobs. When i've done them they have always been solid colours, no dusting or stenciling.

I have at least 2 half cans of krylon sand and brown so after watching the following two videos, i got another dose of inspiration (it's the dusted appearance after the convoy bonnet test that I'm after.. timestamps 6:55 and 12:00 respectively)

Anyone got any tips or results from a similar kind of paint job? I would imagine streaking puffs from some distance, maybe 50-60cm might achieve the effect, though I'm really not too sure.

If you are into RS firearms you'll probably enjoy these videos..  their mud tests are also quite fun to watch. The fella with the pony tail, Ian, has another channel 'forgotten weapons' which I find is great stuff to just have on in the background when working, he almost fills the ASMR spot of the YT gun world 😅 - I could probably nod off listening to him. I've also learnt a lot about firearms history and mechanisms from his videos over the years 👍

AR15 convoy dust test:

AK convoy dust test:

52 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh when it comes to weathering i preferr to let it happen naturally, just don't clean the gun on the outside.

Yeah, I hear you.. somehow none of my guns have ever got that dirty, i probably have cleaned some of them over the years. The paint has naturally come off some of them in all the natural wear spots, but that's about it.

At this rate, it would probably take me a couple centuries to get one of my M4s looking like that one in the video :lol:

The other look I wouldn't mind for the M733 would be a sand/grit blasting of the metal components - though I have no means of doing that.

TFW all your guns have polymer receivers :(

2 hours ago, Skara said:

TFW all your guns have polymer receivers :(

No reason why you cant give a polymer body a nice spray down mate ;)

1 hour ago, MarkP1988 said:

Did you just call gun Jesus "Fella" ?

Wash your mouth out 😜

If Jesus had a Famas... he has an odd obession with French guns actually :mellow: . Raineth down of 5.56 🙏

@GearTech I was just browsing some of your incredible work in the custom paint work section - I don't suppose you could provide some very basic pointers on the above topic?

Edit...

without revealing any secrets that would threaten your trade or livelihood of course 😅 

• Supporters

If there's metal on the gun, get some fine sanding paper and gently sand away the black paint on places that would rub if you were using it. Around where you grip it, magwell, anything that sticks out or is a sharp edge. Don't go crazy on that.

Put the gun on the ground somewhere you can paint it, lightly paint it with one or two colours, kick it until it lands on its other side and do the same there.

Then get some rubbing alcohol (super hard to find now), or white spirit on a towel and gently rub it with long moves so the paint gets removed from anywhere you would usually touch while using it.

Do not use acetone, that will melt the plastic parts.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.