Tell Me About Aeps

Old Guy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have been looking for a pistol and found that there are electric versions. No gas to run out has to be a bonus so why don't I hear more about them? Is it that they are new and have a low take-up so far or could it be that they are not that good? I have seen a few YT reviews and they look promising. Are you an owner of an AEP? Opinions, please.

They're OK'ish for CQB but low powered which means low fps (~200) and slow trigger response.  Batteries are small and don't last very long.  

Given those downsides and you don't get a satisfying kick, gas wins.

A bit more practical for sub-machine guns such as Scorpion, MAC10 or UZI (if u can find one)

The TM uzi isn't an AEP, it's an AEG with a version 5 gearbox. Quite unique though.

A gas non blowback is generally a better bet for a cheap pistol than an aep. The ASG MK23 or the MK1 for example.

You don't hear about those because they are generally shit.

Low rate of fire, low trigger response. Quirky tiny gearbox compressed into the grip/slide full of proprietary parts, and if you break something you're kinda screwed.

Even TMs. A friend bought the newer TM scorpion and oh boy what a mistake he did.

The gun looks super cool but the performance just isn't there. struggles to lift 0.25s, and sends 0.20s so slow you could outrun them by walking. Range is poor due to the air volume (if you get 20m useable range you're lucky), overall it's an extremely expensive (€280 something) paperweight.

The only good TM scorp I've seen was a HPA'd one. But at that point you're better off with a proper TM GBB pistol (and those are REALLY good).

• Supporters

gbb's are more fun, and for all the use most people's secondaries get they have more than enough performance.

generally folk using pistols are either using them as holster fillers with the occasional use to the point where performance isn't too much of a priority, or as a cqb primary (where cold weather performance isn't a problem) or a sniper secondary (in which case something like a mk23 with its silence is a good option)

TM MP7 and TM Mac10 are supposedly decent AEPs.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

TM MP7 and TM Mac10 are supposedly decent AEPs.

+1 on the TM mp7, a buddy had one & it was like a long range laser, although admittedly from the time he pulled the trigger 'til the BB reached you, you could probably make a brew 😂

Mmmmm. I was expecting a mixed response to this but it seems unanimous, so far, that these aren't 'fit for purpose' outside of a CQB arena. I am eyeing up the Mk23 and I suspect that I will be buying one soon. I would probably have ordered one already if the holster I want was in stock. Soooo many 'out of stock' items! I guess what you are doing in asking for a notification of 'in stock' is asking the retailer to get one in for you. 

Although I don't own one I kept looking for one for winter games when gas outdoors is more of an issue, but it really is only the recent mosfet Cymas that sound good and then the low fps still makes it a mediocre cqb weapon... my verdict - the tech ain't there yet and may be too expensive when it is. Gas wins

Archived