Advice? on Gun/Upgrades

slayerkitty

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Depends, do you have an AEG to run when you want a different style of play ? if not I'd get one. GBBRs are awesome , I love mine, but the limited rounds and potential cooldown issues can be a bit of a pain on occasion. If you've already got an AEG then put a decent tight bore barrel in the GBBRs , I like Crazy Jets personally, and Maple Leaf rubbers. And Buy spare mags !

Well the we comes with 1 mag and the wa comes with 3 but 2 needs work? I Have 1 aeg a ics m4, but i really want a bullpup,  so no idea its hard lol, I guess I could wait until I get the wa and set v what stuff it needs or not,  I do have my eye on another rif it's 170 190 Inc postage,  new.. Hmm

The WA is an old gun and design (15 Years old i think) but is well supported for parts. the WE armalites don't have a good reputation. would personally recomend saving your money and getting a GHK or TM if you want a GBBR armalite.  

The WE is an updated version of the WA GBBR design (As is the GHK, incidentally, but done better) although neither are actually parts cross compatible. I can't talk for the WA or the GHK having not had either, but I have just refurbished a WE 416 which is the same mechanism so will give you my experience from that and based on my experience of skirmishing and shooting nothing but GBBRs since last summer.

Generally the WE is a reasonably solid gun (although no where near as good as the Marui MWS which is my main GBBR).  Known issues are:

1. The stock hop rubber is too hard (problem on all WE's out of the box) easily fixed with a 50 or 60 degree maple leaf hop rubber. The stock inner barrel is surprisingly good and while a Crazy Jet is better it doesn't justify its £40ish cost.

2. The bolt hold open on empty function relies on a notched section in the bolt carrier (which is made of pot metal). The corner of this notch wears down which makes the bolt hold open unreliable. Switching out for an after market steel bolt is not a great option as getting after market versions of this part to run reliably requires a lot of trial and error modification. Best option is run the stock bolt until it fails, you can then add some material to the notch in the bolt with some 2 part epoxy and file the corner of the notch back sharp. If you want a less jury rigged fix you can mill out a small section of the bolt and replace it with a steel insert, if you have the correct tools and the skill to use them.

3. The metal used for the semi auto sear is soft so after a while the gun starts to fire on trigger pull and release. Can be temporarily fixed by filing down part of the hammer where it catches (there is a you tube video on the correct procedure). There are steel aftermarket parts available, but I have no experience of them. It will take quite a while for these parts to wear, so I plan to add a couple of spares to my parts box for when the inevitable happens. You might get away with the trick I use on the bolt using the epoxy, but I have never tried. If I were going to use the 416 as my main skirmish gun (it isn't, its my spare or for when I fancy a change) I would probably carry a whole trigger box to a skirmish so I could swap it out if it failed on a game day as there is no way I would want to break down the trigger box in the safe zone.

4. Cold weather performance - The WE system isn't that gas efficient and performance really suffers in colder temps. This can easily be addressed with the use of higher pressure gas such as Nuprol 3.0 or Guarder power up gas, but this does have a negative impact on running costs (see 5 below)

5. The biggest problems with any GBBR are running cost due to the need to keep buying gas (on this basis a propane adapter is a great investment, but get a genuine madbull one the cheap ones are a false economy as I have never heard of one that works well and reliably) and the limited capacity of the mags. GBBR's really aren't skirmishable with less than 4-5 mags (assuming you are also going to carry a speed loader) and 7 is considered by many to be the optimal number. Personally on big multi-objective skirmishes where there are loads of Hi Cap wielding AEG's I carry 13 mags for my Marui MWS (I hate rattly speed loaders).

Based on my experience I'd say focus on making one of these rifles skirmishable (I'd suggest the WE as its an updated design), buy a couple of essential parts (for the WE I consider that to be a hop rubber and the couple of trigger box parts) and spend the rest of your budget on Magazines as without at least 4 a GBBR isn't really much use in any sort of game.

Alternatively try and sell both rifles (depending on condition the WA might be worth a reasonable amount to a collector) and put the balance towards a Marui MWS as that is defiantly a better GBBR platform that requires little modification out of the box.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.