Radios

Rondawg64

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi, we skirmish as a squad of 3, relatively new to airsoft (12 months in) and we are at a stage where radios would be a massive help! 

Anyone use radios in 3 man squad? If so what radios?? Whats best and not a wallet smasher? 

Cheers 

Ron 

Motorola XTN446 are old, but very capable.

Motorola Talkabout also good.

Note that for the Baofengs in the eBay link you would also need a licence to operate them, and to programme them into the frequencies you are provided

The Motorola models are PMR handsets, and operate on frequencies and at power levels that do not require licences.

Other brands and models are available on both licenced and PMR frequencies

Have a look around the forum for other threads on radios.

Do you just want to be able to talk/listen?

Do you want compatibility with a wide range of headsets?

Do you want a military look?

Do you want private conversations?

Do you want to be able to communicate with others on your side at an event?

...... and finally - never turn on VOX

Unless you are hanging off a roof by your finger tips then VOX is evil 

Been using a Midland G7 for 4 years, recently switched to the usual Baofeng UV5R, way more versatile

Comms are kinda mandatory in my team, especially when we do tournaments.

Baofengs are dirt cheap (I think I paid €21 for mine on eBay) and work relatively well. The sure do for the distances involved in airsoft.

Make sure you get a nice quality headset, I personally use a Midland MA-26LK shoulder mic (it has a Kenwood pin so it's compatible with Baofengs) with a small ear bud, lets me adjust the volume directly from the ptt in case I place the radio where I can't reach it, and it's €25 or something.

And yeah, Fuck VOX. That function is pure evil, especially when the guy using it (by mistake most of the times) is breathing like a pig or something. You don't want to listen to boars having sex while you're playing.

2 hours ago, Skara said:

And yeah, Fuck VOX. That function is pure evil, especially when the guy using it (by mistake most of the times) is breathing like a pig or something. You don't want to listen to boars having sex while you're playing.

I’m not quite certain whether your VOX boar sex beats my VOX compressor.

The first event we ever ran was at Camouflage Bournemouth (paintball)

We had the main air system and a compressor out in the game zone.  The operator had VOX on - and of course was on the marshalls channel for event running & safety comms.  To say the least were all grumpy

My other VOX story was when I ran up to a building, and with no noise or guns poking out I looked into the window.

As my face headed into the window a barrel headed out of the window.

I leaped backwards, turning my body in an impossible rearward curve of my spine, and instead of my goggles was shot in my chest.

As I entered the safe zone and said to my team mate “you won’t believe what just happened to me”, everyone turned to me and said “we heard”

With his radio on speaker, my long exclamation of ‘FUUUUCK’ and the boom of a close proximity shot had echoed  in the safe zone 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.