Specna Arms Sa27 M . to DMR or Not ?

bassically72

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all.

I have the above gun that I have been mulling over the idea of turning into a DMR. I am a technical idiot so be gentle with me. firstly how ghastly a job is it to lock off the full auto on these ? the intrawebnet thing has little to no info on these guns so im a bit blind. secondly will much need improving on this ? the gun is already very accurate and predictable. I have the uprated spring that will take it past the 400fps mark. in short it shoots very well indeed. just thinking dmr would make the most of its accuracy. So over to you guys to talk me out of it or not. And if anybody has any background on this particular gun I would love to hear it. cheers in advance folks

Bob 

• Supporters

do you find your playstyle suits a dmr? ie do you find that your normal tactic is to hang back and take aimed shots rather than get closer? do you never use full auto?

that would be the first question to answer.

yes adolf thats me mate. come from a background of HFT shooting and a lot of stalking and hunting. so prefer choosing a target rather than all the Rambo stuff

always loved your name btw. Sorely tempted to make my screen name on the next group I choose "Josef Gerbils"

• Supporters
43 minutes ago, bassically72 said:

yes adolf thats me mate. come from a background of HFT shooting and a lot of stalking and hunting. so prefer choosing a target rather than all the Rambo stuff

always loved your name btw. Sorely tempted to make my screen name on the next group I choose "Josef Gerbils"

fair enough, and thanks for the compliment, josef gerbils would be a pretty good name lol.

the actual conversion is tricky depending on how you want to do it, probably the way i'd look is dremelling the selector plate, won't harm the outside looks of the gun and a change of plate would let you convert back in future if you like. plus nobody can argue it's field convertable back to auto. i'll be honest semi only conversions isn't something i've dabbled in much as we have a flat 1j limit here so you might as well keep full auto.

aside from that the requirements remain pretty much the same, make sure the air seal is top notch and the shot-shot variance is as low as you can get it, use decent heavy weight ammo and beyond that it's tweaking the barrel/hop to reduce spread. really it depends on how much you want to get into it because if there's one thing i've learned it's that chasing accuracy is very much a case of diminishing returns.

Need to find a strip down guide then and see if I can source a spare selector plate. Maybe I should fit the uprated spring and run accuracy tests before I start buggering about with pistons and seals.

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, bassically72 said:

A lot of internal dabbling to be done then. That's the scary bit.

it's not so bad once you get used to it. 

strip down on m4's can be annoying, although i believe specna have a pretty nifty quick change spring system meaning you don't have to pull the box all the way out to change the spring.

in terms of compression you could have a look here:

although you should probably be fine leaving the rest of the box (gears etc) as-is seeing as you're not trying to do anything mad with trigger response/rof.

tbh if she's not got major vertical dispersion issues then you could probably leave the box entirely as that's the main issue you'll get with poor compression.

Thanks buddy. thats very in depth. decided im gonna give it a go. I can see many hours of lost bolts and flying springs and foul language. gonna have a Shit bay session for the outer stuff etc now.

cheers buddy

bob

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, bassically72 said:

Thanks buddy. thats very in depth. decided im gonna give it a go. I can see many hours of lost bolts and flying springs and foul language. gonna have a Shit bay session for the outer stuff etc now.

cheers buddy

bob

it can be a steep learning curve, the primary rule is to make sure you keep at least 1 good backup gun that you don't mess with :P

I have 2 reliable backup aeg's.  I have made up my mind to keep this as simple and bog standard as possible.  The DMR route is an idea to make the most of the guns accuracy. Just been playing around in my garden and even on the standard spring through a red dot scope the trajectory is near damn flat at 30m (our sites MED and virtually bb on bb ! Dont know whether that's the norm or not ? Was even contemplating the idea of scoping and bipodding it and keeping it as is . Or is that a bad idea ?? 

I play for the most part in woodland so there is not a great amount of clear open distances. 

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, bassically72 said:

I have 2 reliable backup aeg's.  I have made up my mind to keep this as simple and bog standard as possible.  The DMR route is an idea to make the most of the guns accuracy. Just been playing around in my garden and even on the standard spring through a red dot scope the trajectory is near damn flat at 30m (our sites MED and virtually bb on bb ! Dont know whether that's the norm or not ? Was even contemplating the idea of scoping and bipodding it and keeping it as is . Or is that a bad idea ?? 

I play for the most part in woodland so there is not a great amount of clear open distances. 

depends, some guns can be pretty damn good with not much more than a barrel clean and some good ammo.

keeping any mods on the low key isn't a bad move, if it's doing what you want then definately the sensible choice to leave well enough alone.

scopes are a tricky one, on a practical level you don't need magnification to get hits at airsoft ranges, however, given you can't necessarily rely on the target registering the hit (either because they didn't feel it at longer range or they're just straight up cheating) so a magnified optic can certainly help track your bb's and make sure they're going where you think they're going. it's really up to you wether or not you want magnification or how you do it, personally of the ones i've tried i kinda prefer the stacked optic approach (little rmr on top of a short dot or acog style scope) although i do find myself using the dot most of the time.

short dots/switchable scope are also an option, although the "1x" on a replica elcan or short dot isn't really proper 1x. i'm not a fan of flip to side magnifiers, although maybe thats just the clones i've used being terrible. keep being tempted to get a clone vortex magnifier.

bipods i'm not a fan, you can monopod on the mag well enough for airsoft ranges and i never seem to find a scenario where it's particularly useful in normal skirmishing, too much movement involved.

With eyes as bad as mine It would be a benefit. But you have given me some good sound advice and a lot to chew over. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort replying to me. Good to have someone who gives an even balanced opinion.will keep you updated.

Cheers 

Bob

(Aka Josef Gerbils)

• Supporters
42 minutes ago, bassically72 said:

With eyes as bad as mine It would be a benefit. But you have given me some good sound advice and a lot to chew over. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort replying to me. Good to have someone who gives an even balanced opinion.will keep you updated.

Cheers 

Bob

(Aka Josef Gerbils)

no problem, tbh as with all things airsoft there's a lot of it is just straight up down to personal preference, and doing something because you want to is as valid a reason as any other.

Lot of people moving over to a semi-locked 400+ fps DMR generally upgrade the gears and motor as well.  An AB mosfet together with a 11.1v lipo is generally a good move also.  I think the in SA-A27 has a plastic nozzle so maybe worth replacing that.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.