Stuff That's Useless, but That Doesn't Stop You

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

yes lockdown is getting to me and i'm really bored.

but what things in airsoft do you not really find all that useful but you still use it anyway because you like it?

for example a mate of mine always runs a peq box on his rifles, never uses it, but it stays bolted on there weighing down the gun anyway because he likes it.

for me i'd probably say the ambi mag release i put on my m4, i'm not left handed, i never shoot left handed, and i sure as hell never reload left handed. but it's there anyway. it's not like it came with the gun either, i actively bought and installed it.

Offset red dot on my DMR, utterly useless and just added weight but it looks cool. Actually bought a specific mount for my LPVO so I could still have the red dot on there as well. 

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, E21A said:

Offset red dot on my DMR, utterly useless and just added weight but it looks cool. Actually bought a specific mount for my LPVO so I could still have the red dot on there as well. 

top mount or angled?

i have a top mounted one on mine and tbh i use it more than the actual short dot, although the short dot does get brought in for ensuring the bb's are going where i think they're going.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, E21A said:

Angled, if I use it then the bb just curves off to the left instantly (for obvious reasons) 

fair enough, suppose it might be ok for real close stuff although probably not within a dmr MED lol.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

A dummy knife & glow sticks on my Plate Carrier

ahh yes the dummy knife, i have yet to get a mellee kill outside of games like TTT where you can get up close to folks. also have a bunch of IR glowsticks for the night games that nobody round here does these days.

used to carry a tomahawk but now i'm running a russian bayonet in RS scabbard, it's dead weight but looks cool.

suppressors are a tricky one, they do actually work quite well on some platforms (basically anything with no action noise so GNBB and HPA in particular). i run big cans on my e&l and m4 but they are very much functional for noise reduction.

Both of mine are AEG’s

I did notice a slight difference on the UMP

I ditched my much wanted and treasured SilencerCo Osprey from my G17

as other than bling, it was totally unnecessary 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Both of mine are AEG’s

I did notice a slight difference on the UMP

I ditched my much wanted and treasured SilencerCo Osprey from my G17

as other than bling, it was totally unnecessary 

there is some barrel noise from aeg's/gbb's, it's just that it tends not to be the loudest thing.

for example p90's and f2000's are meant to suppress well because a plastic shell with a gearbox cradled in your shoulder keeps a lot of the sound muffled.

of course it's hard to tell, i've heard folk comment that my f2000 is quiet but if you're the one firing it it sounds pretty damn loud lol.

My kit being an impression means half the stuff has no purpose but is there to replicate a certain unit, in my case Seal Team 1, Vietnam 1970.

useless stuff being-

-dummy Ka-Bar 

-a heavy ass metal dummy mk13 flare taped to the sheath 

-2 dummy m26 grenade

-2 dummy m18 smokes

7 minutes ago, Teo said:

My kit being an impression means half the stuff has no purpose but is there to replicate a certain unit, in my case Seal Team 1, Vietnam 1970.

-2 dummy m26 grenade

Not sure if you're aware but TAG do some very nice M67 pyro now, the M67 just about squeaking into Vietnam service iirc and was definitely around in 1970. Nice to have something hanging off a rig which looks cool, that you can throw at the same time!

£8.50 per throw though...

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

there is some barrel noise from aeg's/gbb's, it's just that it tends not to be the loudest thing.

for example p90's and f2000's are meant to suppress well because a plastic shell with a gearbox cradled in your shoulder keeps a lot of the sound muffled.

of course it's hard to tell, i've heard folk comment that my f2000 is quiet but if you're the one firing it it sounds pretty damn loud lol.

My bullpups are all pretty loud due to the gearbox being right next to my ear. 

The P90 has a boingy sound. Though that is down to the spring and piston combo. I could probably fill the F2000 and P90 with foam fairly easily if need be. Same with the AUG. 

3 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Not sure if you're aware but TAG do some very nice M67 pyro now, the M67 just about squeaking into Vietnam service iirc and was definitely around in 1970. Nice to have something hanging off a rig which looks cool, that you can throw at the same time!

£8.50 per throw though...

Yeah I’ve been trying to get a hold of them, but they’re hefty initial price for one use puts me off, and then you usually have to pay another big whack for ‘pyro postage’.

Theres a company coming out with a spring grenade that resembles m26 grenades. I plan on picking a couple up. Thunder B’s with soundflash shells on them are also close enough to MK3A2 concussion grenades. That’s my next purchase. 

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

My bullpups are all pretty loud due to the gearbox being right next to my ear. 

The P90 has a boingy sound. Though that is down to the spring and piston combo. I could probably fill the F2000 and P90 with foam fairly easily if need be. Same with the AUG. 

yeah, they sound pretty loud to the person firing them, but i've heard folk commenting that it's very quiet if you're on the recieving end.

same goes for suppressed guns, i thought my e&l still made some noise but i recall hearing a mate firing it when i'd lent it to him and in-game from a distance it really is silent.

Peq boxes and suppressors are not totally useless. For the most part they don’t really do much (unless it’s an expensive torch/laser or a battery box) but they are used to simulate a look, which I understand. At the moment I’m looking for both for my TM MP7 to simulate a look I want. 

Gear wise I don’t and wouldn’t really use or carry anything which wasn’t functional though as I used to carry everything with me and found 80% of it pointless. 

I get people want their gear to also look the part and each to their own. I would rather a nice looking gun and a streamlined loadout that carrying everything plus the kitchen sink around

I have multiple laser aiming devices (or PEQs) and use them a lot for night vision purposes, depends what supplementing equipment you have. For my MCX I use a fake PEQ to house the battery. And yeah they're good to simulate the look.

Traded CT25, shot 3-4 people with it so far not a single person felt it. Pretty though.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Traded CT25, shot 3-4 people with it so far not a single person felt it. Pretty though.

i was thinking about it, but tbh it shoots too well to be useless, i have got kills with it.

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i was thinking about it, but tbh it shoots too well to be useless, i have got kills with it.

I'm shooting the wrong people. Tbf just unlucky so far hitting the wrong spots for it to be easily felt.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, heroshark said:

I'm shooting the wrong people. Tbf just unlucky so far hitting the wrong spots for it to be easily felt.

pretty easy with only 0.5j to play with, but still possible. but like i say i think it's too good for me to call it useless lol.

52 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Real steel Aimpoint and Eotech. Useless for woodland but great for CQB.. Not that I've CQB's recently or will do in the future....Don't want to sell them coz they look good lol!

surely a good red dot/holo would be great in any environment?

4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

surely a good red dot/holo would be great in any environment?

Engagement distances are usually 40-50m so I hazard to guess a good scope would be better... I get that if you have a shorter engagement distance then target acquisition with a red dot would be quicker as if you're using an iron sight....for some reason I fancy one of those Vortex Strike Eagles.... they just look good! 

• Supporters
8 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

Engagement distances are usually 40-50m so I hazard to guess a good scope would be better... I get that if you have a shorter engagement distance then target acquisition with a red dot would be quicker as if you're using an iron sight....for some reason I fancy one of those Vortex Strike Eagles.... they just look good! 

I'd still say the red dot would be very useful, i use the stacked dot on my short dot a hell of a lot more than the actual scope, only use the scope to check that my bb's are actually hitting.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.