Optic (Red Dot)- Decisions, Decisions....

Macv276

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I figured it was time to replace my ACOG on my GBB AR15. I'm currently looking at getting either a Vortex Crossfire or Vortex SPARC II. Both come with high mounts so my field of view won't be obstructed by my PEQ-15, both are made by a reputable company and both look like they would handle being used in the field. 

Are these my best (Sub £200) options, or should I be looking at something different? 

Any ideas would be appreciated before I drop c. £170 on an optic 

Cheers 

29 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Sig Sauer have an identical guarantee to Vortex, but more difficult to get hold of in the UK 

Learn something new everyday, where do you source the Sig ones from @rocketdogbert?

9 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

Learn something new everyday, where do you source the Sig ones from @rocketdogbert?

All the usual places, ebay, real steel sellers, some US retailers will ship them, some won’t 

If you buy the likes of vortex optics just because they come with that warranty you’re a fool. Ask yourself how many times your optic has been shot out, and cost of cheap replacement vs cost of vortex.

However if you’re buying it as it’s a superior unit and the warranty is a bonus then go nuts! 

1 hour ago, E21A said:

If you buy the likes of vortex optics just because they come with that warranty you’re a fool. Ask yourself how many times your optic has been shot out, and cost of cheap replacement vs cost of vortex.

However if you’re buying it as it’s a superior unit and the warranty is a bonus then go nuts! 

The warranty is definitely a bonus. I'm using a trijicon copy and literally wanted to upgrade, but I'm finding the ACOG just isn't working for me. I think the vortex is the best way to go, now need to decide which one 🤔

• Supporters
1 hour ago, E21A said:

twice, lost ~£75's worth of cheap red dots as a result.

of course it definately would take the sting out of letting a pricier bit of glass get shot at if it had a good warrenty. i'd love a UH-1 but money is not on my side....

Just now, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd love a UH-1 but money is not on my side....

I had a real one, and a good clone (from Holy Warrior) but as retail the genuine items are about £500, you may as well buy a £40 clone.

There are some minor cosmetic differences, but from a performance perspective, they are almost identical, you’d be better off buying five clones, unless you’re made of money lol

• Supporters
Just now, rocketdogbert said:

I had a real one, and a good clone (from Holy Warrior) but as retail the genuine items are about £500, you may as well buy a £40 clone.

There are some minor cosmetic differences, but from a performance perspective, they are almost identical, you’d be better off buying five clones, unless you’re made of money lol

i've had the bookmark to the set you bought sitting around for a while, sadly this covid thing is putting me off ordering stuff like that online for a while.

i do have a relatively nice short-dot on the m4, but i keep finding myself just using the stacked red dot most of the time anyway.

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i've had the bookmark to the set you bought sitting around for a while, sadly this covid thing is putting me off ordering stuff like that online for a while.

i do have a relatively nice short-dot on the m4, but i keep finding myself just using the stacked red dot most of the time anyway.

As soon as I get another rifle sorted, I’ll be buying a HW UH-1, I’ll give you a shout when I put my order in 👍🏻

• Supporters
1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

As soon as I get another rifle sorted, I’ll be buying a HW UH-1, I’ll give you a shout when I put my order in 👍🏻

look forward to it, already thinking it'd also sit well on the e&l :P

I ordered my UH-1 in March, came in 30 days. Didn't think that was too bad.

Now's the time to order, restrictions are being lifted over there and it will be at lest 6 weeks before you can use it over here.

Put ours on the G36 yesterday and setup the garden range, it works very well, even in direct sunlight.

Have moved from cheap sights to Vortex almost exclusively. the Spitfire being my goto with a the low profile red dot on the top. Distance and close range dealt with and no worries about breakage. The quality is amazing

May try a Razor one day but the expense!

On 10/04/2020 at 23:27, MadMole said:

Have moved from cheap sights to Vortex almost exclusively. the Spitfire being my goto with a the low profile red dot on the top. Distance and close range dealt with and no worries about breakage. The quality is amazing

May try a Razor one day but the expense!

I looked at the spitfire, it's a nice optic. 

Went with the Vortex Crossfire Red Dot from Patrol Base in the end, just need some BUIS then I'm back up and running.

It’s a good choice, I reckon I could put up a decent sized shed using the crossfire to hammer nails. View is nice and clear, lasts forever on a battery and the dot is good (astigmatism apart). I don’t look forward to trying the warranty but I’ve high hopes it will be well honoured, from what I’ve heard. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.