The Pre 1900 Thread

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Pre 1900, what have people got lurking? I'm really hoping to see a KTW Spencer carmine, or some peculiar French musket. I don't own all these anymore.

1748 George Washington pistol, a ktw Springer.

1760s type british naval musketoon, a Denix that's been modified. Fires 20mm madbull shells, gone.

1866 Remington derringer, marushin, gone.

1869 S&W model 3, ASG. Low power shells, modified to have a tm vsr barrel, and a maple leaf hop rubber. Shoots very well but really fussy on bbs.

FB_IMG_1586125525661.jpg

• Supporters

local shop did an interesting martini henry build firing the APS shells.

as a question for folks who do run this sort of thing, how do you deal with the problem of being badly outgunned in a skirmish? or is it a case of you run it for a few rounds for the laughs then pick up (insert aeg here)?

For a laugh i always liked the idea of an airsoft springer musket.  

Half cock it (to clear the hop).   Drop bb down the barrel.  The ram rod is how you compress the spring.  Either by pump or for full immersion, removal of and inserting down a dedicated slot.  Then fully cock the hammer which i would hope would reposition the hop up unit into the correct position and fire.  

Other way i guess would be to cock the hammer. Raise the cover on the pan and feed the bb into barrel through a hole and close the pan afterwards, sealing it in.  Thus avoiding the need to find a way to get the bb to get on the correct side of the hop up, which is a problem with muzzle loading.  

Be a simpleish build i would have thought with the right tools?  And given accuracy of airsoftguns probably being close to par with muskets....  imagine a napoleonic mislim...

• Supporters

i suppose it's not technically impossible, for example a VSR style action you could feasabily compress the spring using a ramrod down the barrel. although having a ramrod strong enough to compress a decent spring without buckling whilst also not being too hard to scratch up the inner barrel might be tricky.

possibly a reciprocating barrel and a stepped ramrod, the thin step of the ramrod seats the bb down into the chamber at the correct distance, the stepped portion pushes the inner barrel backwards entirely to cock the action

Hence maybe have the ramrod go down a dedicated slot beneath the barrel? Save risk to barrel and hop up

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, kasaran said:

Hence maybe have the ramrod go down a dedicated slot beneath the barrel? Save risk to barrel and hop up

if you were using a stepped system then the bit that's inside the barrel wouldn't need to be so strong, so a bit of plastic would be fine and prevent scratching.

i suppose to some extent it's the concentric version of having a seperate slot.

it's a cool idea, but i think the issue would be trying to find enough people to want to do that sort of thing who aren't already just doing normal re-enactment style stuff.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

local shop did an interesting martini henry build firing the APS shells.

as a question for folks who do run this sort of thing, how do you deal with the problem of being badly outgunned in a skirmish? or is it a case of you run it for a few rounds for the laughs then pick up (insert aeg here)?

I've  practiced with the Schofield to a point where it's instinctive, ill use it as my primary on any cbq site, and I keep it topped up, there's a knack to doing it without actually spitting the shells out also helps that I've got just as much range as you with my vsr barrel and maple leaf hop.

Besides, I'm not fussed about being outgunned as I have a big fat smile.

1 hour ago, kasaran said:

For a laugh i always liked the idea of an airsoft springer musket.  

Half cock it (to clear the hop).   Drop bb down the barrel.  The ram rod is how you compress the spring.  Either by pump or for full immersion, removal of and inserting down a dedicated slot.  Then fully cock the hammer which i would hope would reposition the hop up unit into the correct position and fire.  

Other way i guess would be to cock the hammer. Raise the cover on the pan and feed the bb into barrel through a hole and close the pan afterwards, sealing it in.  Thus avoiding the need to find a way to get the bb to get on the correct side of the hop up, which is a problem with muzzle loading.  

Be a simpleish build i would have thought with the right tools?  And given accuracy of airsoftguns probably being close to par with muskets....  imagine a napoleonic mislim...

Theres a chap in the uk who used an obsolete caliber Enfield pattern musket, has modified the internals to take a pps shell, that he uses as the power source , and he muzzle loads that. He can gas it up through a small hole in the barrel/stock. Legally and technically, I'm not sure if it's fine but then again, it's genuinely doing no harm.

Obsolete caliber guns aren't licenced even though they are fully working.

Just got in, this has arrived too. 

20200406_154717.jpg

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cromulon1994 said:

I've  practiced with the Schofield to a point where it's instinctive, ill use it as my primary on any cbq site, and I keep it topped up, there's a knack to doing it without actually spitting the shells out also helps that I've got just as much range as you with my vsr barrel and maple leaf hop.

whilst i have no doubt that combo on good ammo does have the range to take on most rifles on the field, and that practice definately improves things, there is still a massive advantage to 3 points of contact, high capacity magazines, semi automatic and modern optics.

any time i'm using my makarov it's pretty much as you describe (minus the practice admittedly), and there is definately a delicious satisfaction in getting a long range pistol kill (especially with a small pistol), but i'm not sure i'd want to go beyond the odd bit of plinking when my rifle's out of ammo and i can't be bothered topping up mags.

1 hour ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Theres a chap in the uk who used an obsolete caliber Enfield pattern musket, has modified the internals to take a pps shell, that he uses as the power source , and he muzzle loads that. He can gas it up through a small hole in the barrel/stock. Legally and technically, I'm not sure if it's fine but then again, it's genuinely doing no harm.

Obsolete caliber guns aren't licenced even though they are fully working.

from chatting with the guys at the shop seems to be unique to antiques, anything modern enough to need a licence will either be a licensed firearm (which you couldn't take to a site regardless of what it fired) or de-activated (in which case an airsoft conversion would be considered re-activation)

the way they did it it was re-barreled with pvc pipe painted to look original, so if you tried to drop an actual shell in there it'd do a wonderful job of taking off your fingers (assuming it'd even fit, i dont know if the aps shells are the same dimensions as 12gauge). so the only way to fire anything lethal out of it would be to put the original barrel back in and find some 577 martini (the difficulty of which is why i assume it doesn't need a licence in the first place)

No, be careful as the uk ones now have a locked in place barrel, it doesn't split. Hopefully yours isn't a new one its older stock.

9 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

No, be careful as the uk ones now have a locked in place barrel, it doesn't split. Hopefully yours isn't a new one its older stock.

Just re looked at the advert shit. I have some machine work to do when it arrives 

years a go on arnies a guy made a brown bess with a re purposed aeg gb that cocked with a ram rod. 

Just some tidying to do now I've fine tuned it a little.

I ended up having to recess 2 bits of 22mm copper into the barrels, they are friction fit, they took lots of careful but forceful tapping. Otherwise the shotgun shells pushed into the barrel when hit by the pin rather than set off.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Hello mark? (unless you've nicked the photos)

Nice that birds head is. I needs a pegasus Tanaka in my life.

Thats me, Ta bud. There's 7/12 bisley in the classifieds. Not my cup o chai but I'm now tempted that I've got the ones I want. Plus I could tune it up to 500fps as a long range gun. Please buy it before I do.

I'm not keen on the bisley. Wolf Armouries have them new for 170 quid.

I'd ideally like a hws 1858 with the pegasus system. I just want a period revolver carbine. Just because I remember seeing one on a wall as a young kid and thinking it was amazing.

I like the hws new model army too. Not easy to find sadly especially the carbine. You may find it disappointing on the performance front though. Has no hop like the KA SAA.

14 hours ago, heroshark said:

I like the hws new model army too. Not easy to find sadly especially the carbine. You may find it disappointing on the performance front though. Has no hop like the KA SAA.

I'm going to make one, probably wont be anything actually specific but will look period.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.