Old Guy - New Hobby?

Old Guy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A big HELLO to all forum members.  I am a late-comer to the game of airsoft, but to be fair, it didn't exist for much of my life! While I still have a bit snap in my elastic I want to try this gaming style. I have been watching YouTube games for a while but I'm not daft enough to think that I shall have a 'Dutch the Hooligan' experience straight away. While we are shut in I thought I might buy an AEG for amusement and practice for my first skirmish, after the 'grot' has gone away. 

Any thoughts on the Lancer Tactical or Specna offering for around £120. Any opinions will be welcome but this is budget sensitive.

Firstly welcome pal, age has no limit when it comes to our hobby/sport/passtime... when things get going again and it's safe to skirmish, try a site local to you. You will find all ages of players and will figure out what best works for you....

Welcome to the forum, my last day out I met a 72 yr old chap who, while not exactly at the sharp end breaching doors, had a good eye and provided excellent longer range support. There's a role for everyone in Airsoft.

I have a Specna edge series, good bit of kit for the price, have not experienced the poly framed core specnas though. At the entryevel you won't go far wrong with a G&G combat machine or the specna, just remember to also budget for battery and a decent charger if going down the LiPo route.

I just did a long post on a what gun thread that I’m going to link to here:

In response to your question The guns you are looking at are what I would call type 1 guns (see thread I have linked to). If it were my money I’d spend a few quid more getting a type 2 gun, so going from a Specna Core to a Specna Edge series. these will run you about £50 more, but it’s well worth it as they have metal bodies and additional features.

PS welcome to the hobby.

Good advice above.  I have quite a few weapons but my Specna Arms Edge (SA-E03) is my best shooting rifle out of the box.

Also bear in mind that without playing 3 games you won't be UKARA registered so will have to buy a painted rifle.

Its a tough choice but might be worth getting a coloured pistol now for less money and then get a proper black rifle once you've had a chance to play 3 games with a rented weapon.

The experience of playing with rented equipment will also help you decide what weapon and gear you want to buy afterwards.

CYMA is a good budget make but most have plastic bodies.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

After a quick look at the Classifieds it seems clear that no-one sells on their rifle as a two-tone. Is it a case of painting out the bright colour when your UKARA comes through and then keeping it as standby? Perhaps there is no market for second-hand two-tones?

They do come up occasionally but as you can imagine, they don't hold much value.

You can wait for one to come up as it will likely be a bargain (tho could also be a lemon)

You could then use it in a game and spray it black once you're UKARA registered.

But it would be better to rent until you can buy a black one.

That's what I was saying about getting a pistol first as it would be a smaller investment and easier to spray black later.

Most people I know just rented for their first couple of games and then got a RIF. In my limited experience two tones are normally bought by (the parents of) impatient kids.

If you get a decent metal bodied gun (pistol or rifle) it’s relatively easy to remove the two tone paint and then either touch up the finish or respray (different companies two tone with different paint with varying degrees of difficulty to remove and different brands paint holds up differently to the two tone over it being stripped).

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

After a quick look at the Classifieds it seems clear that no-one sells on their rifle as a two-tone. Is it a case of painting out the bright colour when your UKARA comes through and then keeping it as standby? Perhaps there is no market for second-hand two-tones?

Tbh the only reason you'd want a 2-tone is if you want to get setup without playing the 3 games and getting registered.

Theres no shame in running a 2-tone gun as long as you're not doing it to anything really special, which most folk understand.

A pistol is a solid idea, theyre harder to shoot (ie more fun to target shoot with) and a 2-toned slide is easy painted/replaced when the time comes.

Thanks for the input. In reality I do not expect to be using any rifle very much. I am thinking of trying a skirmish or two but mainly I am 'scratching an itch' for some back-garden shooting during the CV-19 crisis. 

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Thanks for the input. In reality I do not expect to be using any rifle very much. I am thinking of trying a skirmish or two but mainly I am 'scratching an itch' for some back-garden shooting during the CV-19 crisis. 

if your primary goal is plinking rather than skirmishing that does open up more options.

for example when it comes to pistols generally TM gets recommended a lot because the reliability and gas effeciency is useful in the field, but if you're just plinking and don't really care then the cheaper brands like WE would do the job just as well.

potentially you could look at getting just a pistol to plink with, then when COVID's out of the way you could rent a rifle for your 3 games and get your ukara setup.

@Old Guy 👋

Welcome to the Forum and the hobby! 
Always room for one more player, regardless of age, ability etc, we are all here to have fun and play an honest game! 💪

Sadly not the best time.... but hopefully soon, everyone can play again! 🤞🔫

Good luck with your Loadout and soon time to catch up on all the fun you’ve missed out on! 😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.