Where to shoot?

Doubledie

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just now, Doubledie said:

Can you shoot in garden? Is there any laws against it etc? Was thinking of buying some targets and setting up in garden, 

I live on a estate so long narrow garden with 6 ft fence all way round 

As long as you dont shoot across your boundaries and/or act like a dick where over looking neighbours could get arsey/call police/throw shoe at you. Yes, you can shoot in your garden. You can also sunbathe topless if you want

You can only shoot if the garden is yours alone.  If its shared then its considered common ground so would not be legal.

If it is yours then as SgtTalbert said, you have to make sure BB's don't leave the boundary of the garden.

And maybe talk to your close neighbours so they don't get alarmed and call the Popo.  

Id be concerned over the reactions of any neighbours that look out the window. 

If i shoot in the garden.  I open both french windows and shoot out into the garden from inside so theres no chance of anyone seeing the gun and panicing.  Plus adds that little extra distance 

Just to say if your garden is overlooked and your neighbours see you waiving a RIF around and call the police you can still be guilty of a public order offence (I forget exactly which specific offence) for brandishing your RIF in a public place.

Your garden can be a public place for the purposes of the legislation even if it is private property if it can be seen by the public.

Therefore best bet is to either explain it to your neighbours that they aren’t real guns (thereby negating the public order offence) or fire from inside the house (less chance of being seen and it is generally accepted that inside your own home is always a private place even if it can be observed from outside).

I tend to shoot into the garden.

I set up a box filled with foam or an old towel. Put at the end of the garden. Then i walk back through the house (my back garden door is in line with the front door/living room door), set myself up just in front of the front door and shoot.

The box prevents bb's deflecting into neighbors gardens (only one side as the other is a car park) and by shooting through the house i gain both range and privacy, thus avoiding a call to the police about someone with a gun.

When we moved to Bracknell, we got to know our neighbours and showed them what I do, so they are fully aware of what I have.  After that I do my testing in the garden.

By doing it that way there are no sudden surprises!

I live in a shitty rough as fuck estate in London, my neighbours are likely to have real guns. 

Therefore if I need to test fire I either do it in the short hallway or shoot from inside the house into the garden where no one will see as there are flats overlooking my garden.

Otherwise just wait until I am at a site. Its not ideal but all I can do.

Into the back garden is cool, provided as others have said:
a) BB doesn't leave your boundary
b) You can't be seen by anyone

As an aside - I remember having an air rifle when I was a kid and decided that the range in the garden wasn't long enough. So I set up plastic arms men on the drive and sniped their heads off from my bedroom window.
My Dad saw me doing it when he got home later that day and hit the roof. Biggest bollocking ever.
I explained I'd put in a backstop, and made sure the gates were shut, to keep it safe as possible.
He wondered what I was on about and said "no you idiot. I'm not worried about you shooting people, I'm worried about you getting shot!"
We lived backing onto an MOD property, a fact that hadn't really registered when I as in full on "I've had a cunning plan!" mode! 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.