What Bio BBs should I be buying?

ChristianHalley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It's quite possible that this could just be a bad batch, as I've only tested the one bag / single weight - and the tracer versions are fine. It's a shame as they do look pretty good otherwise.

If anyone else gets any 6mm Ammo BBs I'd recommend spending some time checking them over before using any just in case... actually, I'd recommend doing this regardless of brand (and before opening the pack if the packaging is clear or has a window).

I have just got some Geoff's 0.32g BIO's that I will use in Sunday's skirmish.

I don't want to open them yet just in case the site suddenly wants to see unopened bags of the bio's you intend to use. I don't think they will, nor do they say it's a requirement but having been caught out last month at Combat Thetford which was very expensive, I am not taking the chance.

I will check them after the game report back here.

I didn't end up using the Geoff's 0.32g Super Natural Bio bb's on Sunday as bios weren't required/enforced.

I rolled the bag of bb's around and then looked at a group of 30 using the zoom on my camera and as far as I can see the surface of them all looks really polished without any obvious blemishes.

There is fine dust in the bag, but no individual pieces of anything.

Interestingly the bag has a small hole that has clearly been intentionally punched through both sides at the top left?

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to be able to accurately measure or weigh them but as I have now almost run of of my longbow bb's I will use these next time at the shooting range on all my rif's and report back. It would be great to be able to switch permanently to bio's if they are consistent, reliable and shoot well.

Edited by Panama

• Supporters
21 hours ago, Panama said:

as bios weren't required/enforced

Errr: "Sure, the site says bios, but they didn't catch me so non-bio was fine." ?

Sure, the site says 1.13J, but they didn't catch me 3J was fine.

Sure, the site says plastic, but they didn't catch me so steel BBs were fine.

Sure, the site says take your hits, but they didn't catch me so...

Joking, but not joking.  While I actually think that "bio" BBs are just greenwashing, I use them where the site asks for them, same as I stick to any rule even if I disagree with it.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Errr: "Sure, the site says bios, but they didn't catch me so non-bio was fine." ?

Sure, the site says 1.13J, but they didn't catch me 3J was fine.

Sure, the site says plastic, but they didn't catch me so steel BBs were fine.

Sure, the site says take your hits, but they didn't catch me so...

Joking, but not joking.  While I actually think that "bio" BBs are just greenwashing, I use them where the site asks for them, same as I stick to any rule even if I disagree with it.

I must admit I don't get the point of what you have posted?

There wasn't a site requirement to use bio's, so therefore and what I think you are implying, I didn't get away with anything. Normal bb's were allowed which is what I used. Had I turned up and they had changed that then I had bio's with me and would have used those.

Edited by Panama

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Panama said:

I must admit I don't get the point of what you have posted?

Picking a fight with the mirror, it seems. Oops.

I do apologise, I thought Gunman was bio only, but I was thinking about someone else - they don't mention it anywhere.

The background is that my local site is bio only and yet they keep catching folk using non-bio BBs. I've seen it happen three times, play was halted when they found heavy magnetic non-bios[*] at the chrono, and when the culprits were identified, it's been "Oh, I didn't know", "Nobody told me" (it's stated at every brief), and one bloke tried to brass neck it with "Oh, I didn't think you really cared."

So I've had that rant in the bag for a while, I'll pop it back in and keep it warm and dry. ;) 

[*] I actually think iron or steel dust is more degradable than PLA, but they disagree.

Ollie from Ollie talks airsoft seems to have had loads of issues recently with the Nuprol Razr 0.3g Bio BB's:

Edited by Panama

I always use bios,. Figure they must be slightly better for the environment- after all, we all love being out in the woods so makes sense to me that we would all want to preserve nature....

Our sport is under fire ( pun intended) about RIF's etc....we ought to avoid anything that people can use to criticize us.......when friends find out that I take my son airsofting, after criticizing the use of guns and shooting people, the next thing they move onto us the pellets everywhere!!

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Panama said:

Ollie from Ollie talks airsoft seems to have had loads of issues recently with the Nuprol Razr 3.0g Bio BB's:

Not surprised, my hop units would struggle to lift a 3g BB! :D

6 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Not surprised, my hop units would struggle to lift a 3g BB! :D

Lol - no idea what you mean 🤣

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, Les said:

I always use bios,. Figure they must be slightly better for the environment

I should really keep this bookmarked, but I turned up several references which reckoned that PLA takes 6 months to degrade in an industrial composter at 60C, but hundreds to thousands of years just lying around.  Granted, we're using small pellets with a large surface area, but even so, I'd really emphasise the slightly in PLA vs ABS.

Hopefully landowners will never do the same research and will be placated by green bags and "BIO" labels.

32 minutes ago, Les said:

the next thing they move onto us the pellets everywhere!!

They're right.  But bear in mind that just about everywhere that we live, travel or (mostly) work used to be woodland, and it's been covered not just with plastic BBs but with concrete and tarmac.  The total size of all airsoft sites is fairly minimal in comparison.

6 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

A shitty product from Nuprol?  I am shocked.

Yeah, I’m going to ditch Nuprol as well, it’s been all over the place. Their batteries are shit. Bought three identical sticks for my PTS CM4, and one swelled then stopped working after 3-4 cycles, so I had to “decommission” it using my charger’s “destroy battery” mode...

BBs seem to be all over the place quality-wise. No major issues per se, but loading them I keep seeing weird tiny defects, so time to empty my mags a bit quicker and switch to something better.

Recommendations?

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I should really keep this bookmarked, but I turned up several references which reckoned that PLA takes 6 months to degrade in an industrial composter at 60C, but hundreds to thousands of years just lying around.  Granted, we're using small pellets with a large surface area, but even so, I'd really emphasise the slightly in PLA vs ABS.

I have recently decided to add “Bio BBs” as an attribute to PlayAirsoft for precisely this reason. Some sites seem to require the use of bio ammo, so it would be good to let players know about it. Normally, it’s something that you get to find at the end of a lengthy “rules” section or “FAQ” or something similar, if at all.

Trying be mindful about trashing our lovely nature with plastic is not hard. The price difference isn’t wallet breaking either, so  there’s all the more reason to do our bit.

Edited by shadowfacex

1 hour ago, shadowfacex said:

Yeah, I’m going to ditch Nuprol as well, it’s been all over the place. Their batteries are shit. Bought three identical sticks for my PTS CM4, and one swelled then stopped working after 3-4 cycles, so I had to “decommission” it using my charger’s “destroy battery” mode...

BBs seem to be all over the place quality-wise. No major issues per se, but loading them I keep seeing weird tiny defects, so time to empty my mags a bit quicker and switch to something better.

Recommendations?

Geoffs and 6mm Ammo is what I use.  No complaints.

On 21/09/2021 at 10:00, Panama said:

There is fine dust in the bag, but no individual pieces of anything.

Interestingly the bag has a small hole that has clearly been intentionally punched through both sides at the top left?

Some brands do this & I'm not sure why, I don't like it because it's an easy way for crap to get in and mix with the BBs if they're not kept in a clean environment.

On 24/09/2021 at 08:03, Panama said:

Ollie from Ollie talks airsoft seems to have had loads of issues recently with the Nuprol Razr 0.3g Bio BB's:

I'm not surprised, Nuprol stuff seems to be very hit & miss in general (trending more towards "miss").

Personally I'm going to stick with Geoffs and maybe 6mm Ammo... although at this point anything I use will be checked over before it reaches any of my guns regardless of brand, as even decent brands have the occasional bad batches.

On 24/09/2021 at 11:06, Rogerborg said:

Hopefully landowners will never do the same research and will be placated by green bags and "BIO" labels.

According to the packaging G&G claims their bio BBs will take a few years to decompose if left lying on the ground at 10+°C, or up to 4 years in river/lake/ocean conditions at 4+°C, other manufacturers make different claims about their own bio BBs and Wikipedia claims differently... so there's clearly some bullshitting going on. Still, it should at least be a bit less environmentally harmful than conventional plastics though.

• Supporters

PLA/bio BBs do degrade a bit over time, I had some Geoffs 0.43g that started crazing and cracking several years after being opened.  However, at that mass, they can't be made primarily of PLA, and the Mystery Mass might end up being unfriendlier to Mother Gaia than ABS.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.