Split Slide Or Solid Slide?

Luke-1418
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I really Love having the full slide, especially for the blowback and the way you can pull it back, however I'm told that split slides are faster and more gas-efficient, but I'm not sure if I like the Looks of it as much.

The main problem is the fore rate for me, How much faster is a split slide?

For context I'm looking at a Armorer works HX1105.

• Supporters

Ive not handled many split slide guns, but the ones i have have all had one fundamental drawback- you need to crack out the alan keys to pull the slide and adjust the hop.

So i stick to single slide, but then i dont lean on my pistols for anything other than a bit of fun plinking when my primarys out and i cant be assed walking back to the safe zone to reload.

I run a split slide Glock for practical pistol shooting. In that context it makes sense as it cycles faster, is more gas efficient and suffers less from cool down. When your shooting against the clock this makes a noticeable difference.

The big down sides are it cost more, is more difficult to adjust as you need a screwdriver to break it down to adjust the hop, and all the slide cutaways give Lots of ways for dirt and debris to get into the working parts. While cost is what it is, the other two downsides aren’t a problem when target shooting in nice clean surroundings

When I skirmish I use a short slide WE G19x. It’s still more than snappy enough in the context of skirmishing, doesn’t have the slide cutouts to let dirt in and they are cheeper so I bought 2 for the cost of the split slide so I automatically got a spare mag and if I drop one in the mud I don’t need to try and clean it in the safe zone I just throw it in my bag get the clean one out and clean it when I get home (this massively extends the life of your pistol, as cycling a pistol full of grit kills them pretty fast). Also the shorter slide means weapon transitions are faster (provided you practice) if you ever need it.

Your other option it short stroking a full slide and using an aftermarket lightweight slide. It won't be as fast or gas efficient as the split slide but it will massively increase your cycle time and is still easy to take off

Short stroking can make sense, but remember you either loose the ‘lock back on empty’ function or have to permanently modify the slide (buy grinding in new notches).

If this doesn’t bother you it would certainly be the cheaper option as at its most basic (yes there are better ways) all you need are A bunch of correctly sized ‘O’ rings.

Given its low cost and easy reversibility (assuming you don’t grind the slide straight away). It probably makes sense to try it to see if it addresses your problem before you drop a bunch of cash on a new gun.

Archived