The difference between an airsoft gun and a BB gun

Mitchell Gee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Please note, what is written is copy and pasted from answers.com but edited to apply for the UK and not america...

Airsoft Guns shoot 6mm plastic BB, usually around 300 Feet per second (FPS,) some faster, some slower. The law requires that all air soft guns and rifles have at least 51% of the gun brightly coloured, unless it was purchased before the VCRA act in 2007 or the buyer has (or had) a UKARA license at the time of purchase. They sting you when they hit you.

BB Guns shoot smaller .177 (4.5) steel BB's starting at 300 FPS up to 1,000 FPS in the more powerful rifles. These guns do not have to be 51% brightly coloured or require a UKARA license to buy them because they are not toys and can be deadly. BB guns are part of the family of "Pellet Guns" that shoot pellets or BB's but are also driven by compressed air just like the BB guns.

BB and Pellet guns can do serious damage to a person if they hit you.

We have all had that moment when some person who thinks shooting someone with a gun (airsoft or over wise) fun, they come up to you and say "I shot my friend with a BB gun yesterday" then you respond with something like "What the **** you could of killed them" then that is responded to with "Well you do it with expensive ones..."

Always an awkward moment...

Thanks,

Mitchell

These guns do not have to be 51% brightly coloured or require a UKARA license to buy them because they are not toys and can be deadly.

rofl :D

To be fair thou, both of them can if you're unfortunate/ignorant/responsible cause serious damage.

Also, if any supporting two-tone would read that post I think we are more likely to end up with pink air guns than black airsofts ^^

um why tell us, write it to your friends on face book !!!

• AF-UK Founding Member

I think we know what he meant but I don't see the point in the post :P

In my mind a 'BB gun' is a cheap 'airsoft gun' i.e. a springer for £50 or less.

BB guns are in fact an air gun that takes ball bearing (BB's) metal ones though... plastic ones would just be like... load>aim>fire>dust flies out end

sorry :S, I just noticed a few people call airsoft guns BB guns and it irritates me slightly, like i said, mods, if you do not see any reason for this threads existence, please delete it

Airsoft - it's down to you to take your hits

BB gun- if someone was mad enough to shoot you with this, there'd be little room for doubt.

exactly, a BB gun is a air gun that fires ball bearings, you can buy conversion kit for a .177 air rifle/pistol to allow it to fire metal BB's, which basically converts it into a BB gun

Airsoft gun : what we use.

Air gun : something that fires .177 or .22 pellets using Co2, or compressed air.

BB gun : Some cheap crappy thing you buy from a corner shop!

As an airsofter (new one at that) and a Airgunner i find the two cannot be compared.

Airsoft is for fun and realism and shooting people without them coming to harm ect.. ect..

Airguns are for targets, hunting and destroying stuff (see my youtube channel :))

They are not really compareable

P.S since this thread I've become really petty about people calling airsoft guns bb guns :D

arint bb/airguns also called pellet guns ?

BB guns are more powerful than airsoft guns... i think they got dubbed the name so corner shop owners could sell cheap airsoft guns to people thinking "ooooooooo, its a BB gun, we can kill my brother!" but now they are known as cheap airsoft guns, but the truth is there airguns that fire metal BB's...

....Airsoft guns, to be fair ARE BB GUNS!? Guns firing bb's means BB gun, IMHO to be honest. ;)

EDIT just realised i wrote "In My Honest Opinion To Be Honest" :P

Archived