What gun should I get *USA*

Livin_13

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all, Im in the market for a new gun and with all of this quarantine going on I am very bored so here I am lol.......

So I am in the usa and here are my parameters 

- Must be reliable as I don't want to have to send it off every 6 months or so.

- Must have good externals (TM SCAR LOOKING AT YOU)

- Must have ambi controls or be somewhat ambi friendly as I am a lefty

- My budget is 1500 USD or 1200 GBP

Tell me what I should get ! I love to play indoors and outdoors so something that is versatile is necessary as well! Don't need variable fps though as 350 is fine for outside (400 limit outdoors) 

Thanks in advance ;)

2 hours ago, Livin_13 said:

Hey all, Im in the market for a new gun and with all of this quarantine going on I am very bored so here I am lol.......

So I am in the usa and here are my parameters 

- Must be reliable as I don't want to have to send it off every 6 months or so.

- Must have good externals (TM SCAR LOOKING AT YOU)

- Must have ambi controls or be somewhat ambi friendly as I am a lefty

- My budget is 1500 USD or 1200 GBP

Tell me what I should get ! I love to play indoors and outdoors so something that is versatile is necessary as well! Don't need variable fps though as 350 is fine for outside (400 limit outdoors) 

Thanks in advance ;)

We might not be the best forum to ask that particular question on, some stuff may be harder to get over in americaland than it is here, and vice versa. 

Though personally if I had 1200 quid to spunk on guns I'd buy an a brace of western style revolvers and shotguns. 

You said you like the externals of the TM SCAR, so why not just get one of those? I have one, it's lovely. However if I were to do it again, I wouldn't go crazy like I did on it. I would do the basics to get it shooting in the range you stated and leave everything else alone until it breaks. A lot of people (myself included) have changed the gears etc "just in case" which if you think about it, is nuts.

Long and the short of it, with any airsoft gun get the one with the externals you are most keen on. Anything else is easily changed.

Cr0,

I love scars I really do. However in New York I felt up a TM scar and let me tell you it Was atrocious. Was creaky like crazy. As soon as I shouldered the weapon it creaked. Don't think I could do that honestly.. Maybe I will just go for a TM 416. 

If you are going tm recoil and ambi 416/7 will fit the bill. On us fields it may be under power by us standard. But if you want that type of money you can get one upgraded to your spec. Just a case of picking which model you like. 416c is my personal choice as I like compact. 

32 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

Evotek, Evotek, evotek.

jd? seen way too many guns ruined by them myself

10 hours ago, Livin_13 said:

Why evotek> tm hk 416+ tm scar h?

Build quality on Evo is solid, shoots as well as Tm, no rattle sorry simulated recoil.

evotek means I have trigger response for cqb, and a flat hop for range outside.

compact for everywhere indoor or out,  but you can buy three lengths so take your pick

the best quick change Spring system on the market

ambi safety

ambi mag release

i own a tricked out Tm 416 and I have to admit that the Evotek nudges it on performance but that's only on compactness.

in every other way there is nothing in it

15 hours ago, Livin_13 said:

I would get it upgraded by Sam @ KoA to 345 fps... perfect for indoor and outdoors. 

If you're in the USA, why on Earth would you send the gun to be upgraded in Dundee?
I mean, I know he has a good reputation, but surely there are techs closer to home for you?

• Supporters

As a fellow US player, there are several places you can send it here. Dan Bloomquist does them I think, Airsoft Barracks in FL is also good. Ive got a NGRS 416 and it lasted me a good three years. Something finally stripped in it two weeks or so ago, just havent had the time or patience to open it up and look. Not that Ill be going to any games anytime soon...

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Livin_13 said:

Maybe I will get a PTW in all honesty. Seems like a good fit, just a bit expensive. 

Nah. Those are marketed for training use, but being in the firearms training industry no one uses them. Thats the only reason they are priced that high is that the occasional LE group will buy a bunch for training.

14 minutes ago, Livin_13 said:

I heard of a guy tackleberry who makes them to perfection and reliable etc.

he does or did. you can still have as good or better performance for not even a quarter of the price 

I'd focus a bit on working out what you "need" versus what you "want" in terms of features. Once you've developed that list I'd then look at what models you like and don't like. I realise that you've covered some of this in your original post but given some of the suggestions given clash with your dislike of SMG's, which was absent from your OP, it makes recommendations somewhat more difficult as it reduces it to pure guess work.

The best we can do is put forward suggestions based on the information given but, as highlighted by @Cromulon1994, we are a UK based forum and as such some of our recommendations may simply be non-viable for a myriad of reasons. Inevitably your biggest obstacle will fall down to availability.

As far as build quality of the TM Scar goes your experience differs wildly to mine but based on your experience I understand why you're hesitant/no longer interested in pursuing it as an option.

From what I've seen of the airsoft reddit a lot of US based players recommend guns from the VFC Avalon line and many are vocal supporters of guns from Umbrella Armory. I believe VFC produce, or at least used to, various iterations of the FN Scar and given you're open to having the internals worked on from the get go perhaps this would be a better option. Whether or not the VFC Scar externals are higher quality than the TM I really couldn't say.

I couldn't say how much of an impact flicking between 350fps and 400fps is but a quick change spring system might be worth considering although you'd probably be better off with something set up for 350fps that performs consistently with a high quality hop and barrel set up.

One thing you'll find is that once you start pursuing upgraded guns then your options open up significantly unless you're after specific features such as the bolt stop on many of the Tokyo Marui NGRS line, this is why assessing your needs vs wants is key. It's also worth taking into consideration your longer term plans for the hobby, if any. Some people know from the outset that they're going to pursue Milsim's in which case it's worth trying to decide if you're going to build a US, NATO or RUSFOR kit as these are some of the most common factions. If Milsim isn't something you're interested in then this is a moot point.

Your budget is high for a new gun but it's definitely a nice nest egg to work with. Hopefully some of what I've said is useful to you. Please bear in mind that if you're new to the hobby and haven't tried it I'd strongly recommend renting at a reputable local site once things clear up following the ongoing issues relating to the corona virus.

edit: To play devil's advocate on the ambidextrous fire selector, my old man is left handed and has yet to voice any complaints about the fire selector on any of my guns when it comes to using the selectors.

1 hour ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

I'd focus a bit on working out what you "need" versus what you "want" in terms of features. Once you've developed that list I'd then look at what models you like and don't like. I realise that you've covered some of this in your original post but given some of the suggestions given clash with your dislike of SMG's, which was absent from your OP, it makes recommendations somewhat more difficult as it reduces it to pure guess work.

The best we can do is put forward suggestions based on the information given but, as highlighted by @Cromulon1994, we are a UK based forum and as such some of our recommendations may simply be non-viable for a myriad of reasons. Inevitably your biggest obstacle will fall down to availability.

As far as build quality of the TM Scar goes your experience differs wildly to mine but based on your experience I understand why you're hesitant/no longer interested in pursuing it as an option.

From what I've seen of the airsoft reddit a lot of US based players recommend guns from the VFC Avalon line and many are vocal supporters of guns from Umbrella Armory. I believe VFC produce, or at least used to, various iterations of the FN Scar and given you're open to having the internals worked on from the get go perhaps this would be a better option. Whether or not the VFC Scar externals are higher quality than the TM I really couldn't say.

I couldn't say how much of an impact flicking between 350fps and 400fps is but a quick change spring system might be worth considering although you'd probably be better off with something set up for 350fps that performs consistently with a high quality hop and barrel set up.

One thing you'll find is that once you start pursuing upgraded guns then your options open up significantly unless you're after specific features such as the bolt stop on many of the Tokyo Marui NGRS line, this is why assessing your needs vs wants is key. It's also worth taking into consideration your longer term plans for the hobby, if any. Some people know from the outset that they're going to pursue Milsim's in which case it's worth trying to decide if you're going to build a US, NATO or RUSFOR kit as these are some of the most common factions. If Milsim isn't something you're interested in then this is a moot point.

Your budget is high for a new gun but it's definitely a nice nest egg to work with. Hopefully some of what I've said is useful to you. Please bear in mind that if you're new to the hobby and haven't tried it I'd strongly recommend renting at a reputable local site once things clear up following the ongoing issues relating to the corona virus.

edit: To play devil's advocate on the ambidextrous fire selector, my old man is left handed and has yet to voice any complaints about the fire selector on any of my guns when it comes to using the selectors.

Ok.

In airsoft you Really don't need any features. All you need is a g&g combat machine and go play but, most of us want more. 

At this point I have narrowed down to either a system ptw from tack, or a custom aeg vfc scar H...

@Livin_13 - I was simply trying to help buddy and the request for additional information was a result of your dislike of SMG recommendations. Glad you've narrowed it down in the end.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Livin_13 said:

Ok.

In airsoft you Really don't need any features. All you need is a g&g combat machine and go play but, most of us want more. 

At this point I have narrowed down to either a system ptw from tack, or a custom aeg vfc scar H...

Then go for the Scar. For a grand you can get every feasible thing done internally to it and itd be perfect. Message Bloomquist on FB or HopUp and see what he can do, and ask other shops too. I know Dan does good work. Again, unless youre looking for an overpriced training tool dont go for the PTW. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.