Real Sword AK DMR build

Davegolf

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

First off, purists may not like this 😱

RS lovers may need to look away!

IMG_4363.PNG

This is only the beginning and is a warning of things to come.

Last year I was wanting to build my first personal DMR, and I like guns made of metal, I like them solid and rattle free, and to know that if I drop it / launch it I'm not going to have to fix things.

I was on the fence between AK and SR25 (obviously) for a while, but I do get tired of seeing western AR style rifles.

I knew the AK would be more work, especially with things like sourcing short midcaps etc.

Also being a noob to the world of AKs having only looked in from the outside, the parts compatibility was a new challenge, I like challenges though.

Thanks to the likes of  @Sniper780, @E21A, @EvilMonkee and @Cromulon1994 things were made a lot clearer and I really appreciate your input guys.

Anyways hopefully you guys/gals will like my creation and it may help other new or existing RealSword owners know what's inside and how they differ from the norm.

And just be useful DMR building info.

So it all started with frankly a very exciting purchase for me, you know the sort where you normally over hype it and it's a disappointment when you get it/do it 😂

IMG_4361.JPG

As an RS purist, I will be following this thread of heresy with a morbid curiosity.

However always nice to the 56-2 don't see many of them on the airsoft field, looks like yours is the Russian 74 style handguard variant, will you be changing the original furniture or keeping it?

32 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Wait, what did I do? 

Ha! Your post def contributed in swaying me toward RS 👍

18 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

As an RS purist, I will be following this thread of heresy with a morbid curiosity.

However always nice to the 56-2 don't see many of them on the airsoft field, looks like yours is the Russian 74 style handguard variant, will you be changing the original furniture or keeping it?

I do really like the hangaurd / Chinese stock combo, and would definitely get another as an Assualt rifle in the future.

The externals will be changed quite drastically which I'm sure you'll enjoy through cringed eyes 😁

Aim is to keep it as much true AK parts wise as possible, USA parts just make me hurt inside and make everything look ARish!

2 hours ago, Davegolf said:

The externals will be changed quite drastically which I'm sure you'll enjoy through cringed eyes

Interesting what is your outline for the externals Zenitco rails, railed top receiver cover or are you going to try mounting a side receiver optic mount?

Initially I was thinking railed top cover for ease of optic mounting, but despite really liking the new AK-15/12s I think the rail top ruins the AK classic side profile.

That and I don't think that a rail top gives the most rigid optic mounting / return to zero, and it's not fixed to the same body as the barrel assembly - I assume they are the reasons the real AKs used side mounts.

The RS top cover fits so nicely too it would be a crime to ditch it so am going to go side mount 👍

I really like the long lower only Zenitco in combination with a fully exposed gas tube aesthetically, plus easy bipod mounting if needed.

Interesting I personally went for the railed top receiver cover just because ease of installation, and I also wanted the optics as close to the barrel as possible, to reduce offset.

I would be interested to see how you attach your side mount are you going the modify screw route or welding or metal adhesive?

7 hours ago, Davegolf said:

long lower only Zenitco in combination

I am assuming you mean the ZenitCo B-30 extended rail if so be aware you are going to have to cut off the front sling loop. As the ZenitCo b-30 is designed for Russian/ Combloc AKs who have the front sling loop attached to the lower handguard retainer. That what I had to do on my RS to get the B-30 to fit.

IMG_20200325_133432.jpg

IMG_20200325_133443_(2).jpg

IMG_20200325_133630.jpg

IMG_20200325_133142_(1).jpg

Very nice looking, loving the bayonet 😎

Did you mount a rail to the RS cover or get a complete new railed cover assy?

Im going to use the B31 rail so just tweak to fit.

Its an RS top cover I bought a load of spare RS external part ages ago just so I could modify the type 56 but, also switch back to the original configuration if I wanted to.

I thought the B-31 rail was the upper part used in conjunction with the B-30 rail this one https://ivantactical.com/shop/weapon-accessories/weapon-rails-and-tuning/upper-handguards/zenitco-b-31-classic-ak-handguard/or have I got my number designation mixed up?

Well that was a good plan on your part, spares are far and few these days!

My bad, you are correct, B30 is lower, B31 upper counterpart.

https://grey-shop.ru/Outer-Pimp/AK-Forends/ZenitCo-AK-Forend-B30

Thats what I have.

First job was strip the gun down and work out exactly what internals were in the gearbox having heard the word 'proprietary' thrown around and watching a few YouTube disasemblies.

More on that later.

What I've been eager to complete was getting a PKM stock adapted to fit.

So drilled out the rivets and removed the Chinese stock.

IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

I sourced a real polymer (or whatever space program Russian plastic it's made from) PKM stock from DandB Militaria and promtly set about fabricating a new reciever mount.

I had to cut the tang off the PKM to give me a square mating face to plate up to which was easy enough.

I then copied the RS reciever mount in steel with the new mounting lugs and a hole for wiring to go through.

My buddy TiG welded it up and I found some appropriate size rivets on eBay to reassemble it with 🤓

IMG_4370.JPG

IMG_4371.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

Not everyones cup of tea but I'm chuffed with it as it gave me the extra LOP I wanted, higher cheek weld, big battery storage, more rear weight for balance and I just think it looks ace 😁

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG

3 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Yep did a similar thing to mine I used both the B-30 and B-31 ( see attached) for the tactical look.

What I've been eager to complete was getting a PKM stock adapted to fit

Holy hell I did not realise you were going to take the rear stock off completely I never seen it done on an RS 56-2 before very interesting, but a little part of me weeps.

One question if you wanted to change the stock for a polymer PKM one why not get the Type 56 with the rear receiver tangs would that not have been simpler to modify?

IMG_20200325_182653.jpg

1 hour ago, Sniper780 said:

Holy hell I did not realise you were going to take the rear stock off completely

Why not get the Type 56 with the rear receiver tangs would that not have been simpler to modify?

Hah I thought that'd be a shocker, apologies but there will be more defiling of its original self 😂

I can't remember who educated me originally in the reciever/stock attachment types, I see where you are coming from with the 56-1 tang but it's nothing like the PKM double tang sadly.

With any luck I should have the B30 machined up to fit in the next couple days, work permitting.

Got a couple of side rail mounts to try out too

8 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Hah I thought that'd be a shocker, apologies but there will be more defiling of its original self 😂

It certainly was the PKM sock itself is also interesting never seen one in that colour polymer.

What are you going to do with the Chinese side folding stock you removed?

9 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

I see where you are coming from with the 56-1 tang but it's nothing like the PKM double tang sadly.

56-1 is the under folding stock the RS 56 is the one with AK47 type 3 style angled full stock combe and under folding spike bayonet is dose not have two rear tangs that you find on the PKM but it has one on the top.

56 under bayonet.PNG

12 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Thats what I have.

First job was strip the gun down and work out exactly what internals were in the gearbox having heard the word 'proprietary' thrown around and watching a few YouTube disasemblies.

More on that later.

IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

I sourced a real polymer (or whatever space program Russian plastic it's made from) PKM stock from DandB Militaria and promtly set about fabricating a new reciever mount.

I had to cut the tang off the PKM to give me a square mating face to plate up to which was easy enough.

I then copied the RS reciever mount in steel with the new mounting lugs and a hole for wiring to go through.

My buddy TiG welded it up and I found some appropriate size rivets on eBay to reassemble it with 🤓

IMG_4370.JPG

IMG_4371.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

Not everyones cup of tea but I'm chuffed with it as it gave me the extra LOP I wanted, higher cheek weld, big battery storage, more rear weight for balance and I just think it looks ace 😁

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG

Doing shit the proper way! 👍🏻

8 hours ago, Sniper780 said:

It certainly was the PKM sock itself is also interesting never seen one in that colour polymer.

What are you going to do with the Chinese side folding stock you removed?

56-1 is the under folding stock the RS 56 is the one with AK47 type 3 style angled full stock combe and under folding spike bayonet is dose not have two rear tangs that you find on the PKM but it has one on the top.

56 under bayonet.PNG

Thanks, that is what I meant 🙈

8 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

This project turned very insane very fast......

You were warned 😁

13 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Thats what I have.

More on that later.

IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

IMG_4370.JPG

IMG_4371.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG

A bit late now but most Russian plastics like that have a healthy sprinkling of asbestos in their composition. I wouldn't cut any of them TBH. Same goes for mags and other furniture Russian firearms and launchers. 

11 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

A bit late now but most Russian plastics like that have a healthy sprinkling of asbestos in their composition. I wouldn't cut any of them TBH. Same goes for mags and other furniture Russian firearms and launchers. 

Have you got a source for that? It'd be good to learn a bit more about it. 

1 hour ago, Cromulon1994 said:

No that's cool and regardless if its true or not its good to make people aware, I work in engineering and take a cautious approach to all older materials, especially composites.

This material was very resin like to work with and actually made zero visible dust or particulates when worked, it stayed very 'together'.

Even the likes of modern polymers used by Magpul etc make fines when sanded but not this Russian stuff.

Either way always wear a mask when working any material, ferrous, non-ferrous or composite.

Besides Russians have a stereotype of dirty engineering anyways 😂

I find myself name checked into this heresy I want no part of....*backs away slowly then turns and runs*

1 hour ago, Heath said:

Have you got a source for that? It'd be good to learn a bit more about it. 

Yeah, I'm an industry accredited asbestos surveyor. It's accepted lots of Russian plastics use asbestos fibres in their make up. Similar to bakelite type products did but It's not actually bakelite, it's more resin based. A mixture of chrysotile and amosite. 

You'd never know 100% unless you sampled a piece, there's a guy who lurks on here who knows more about the analysis side. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Cromulon1994 said:

there's my new thing for the day learned *looks at russian bayonet scabbard* note to self: never break that.....

2 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

I find myself name checked into this heresy I want no part of....*backs away slowly then turns and runs*

it seems like you're already committed as a conspirator......

You were warned 😁

i suppose i was, balls of steel hacking up a brand new RS gun though.....

Had some random working hours recently but a whole lot of nothing hours! As I'm sure many have!

So things have fast forwarded a bit since last time, seeing as I'd ordered or recieved most parts in already it was down to me.

Gearbox time! Yes I junked 90% of the RS internals 😱

This is most probably wasn't entirely necessary as with the whole of this RIF everything is so well made, as an engineer the fit and finish of the working parts makes me happy!

For RS information purposes;

MOTOR is conventional short type, it says hi-torque but it's not really on the grand scale of things.

Feels like 16tpa ferrite magnets.

GEARS are normal V3 style, with tappet delay chip as standard, they are very nicely made and the backlash between a fully installed set is equal to Marui - half to a third of a tooth in movement.

They were also shimmed very well.

BUSHINGS are 7mm bearings, good fit.

PISTON is unique, it has a relief at the back to clear the gearbox case and spring guide. It is nicely made from a fibre plastic, 2 metal teeth.

This looks pretty strong and doesn't really need upgrading unless your going higher than 450fps or are pre cocking.

PISTON HEAD is normal ported V2/V3, nicely made from a fibre plastic and has a ball bearing spring seat.

SPRING GUIDE is normal plastic but with a metal base plate. I kept this part in.

CYLINDER is a normal AEG full type '0' made of brass

CYLINDER HEAD is normal V2/V3 unit, not great and minimal shock absorbtion, probably the only let down part of the whole gun TBH!

NOZZLE is unique in length, it is nicely made from a strong plastic and is a very good fit and seal, to the cylinder head, rapper plate and bucking. I kept this part in.

SPRING mine shipped with a linear M120 with 26 coils - free length is 145mm.

BARREL normal AEG made from brass, assume 6.08 id, 455mm long.

BUCKING normal AEG, made from inner tubes it smells like hah! Really well moulded and tougher duro than usual, I kept this part as it was actually better than many others compared (Madbull, Prommy, PDI, G&G green)

HOP-UNIT usual sliding scale AK type, really well made, zero play very impressed. I kept this part in.

CHRONO'd at 410 FPS.

Regardless I wanted this to be the smoothest and most economical gearbox for power consumption, noise and joules - a DMR essential!

IMG_4445.JPG

• Supporters

That is some very interesting information, really it sounds like only the shell, trigger mech and piston are truly proprietary then?

Bodes well for upgradability.

Cheers, I think the trigger mech / trolley all looks normal, I don't have another V3 unit to check against, someone else may know for sure??

So yes to clarify, proprietary;

Piston

Gearbox shell

Poss trigger mech

Dont forget the nozzle 😉

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.