Dying lenses

Enid_Puceflange
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I have recently made the step from spectacle style eye protection with prescription inserts to FMA fanned goggles, and glasses inside.....

what I really want to do is dye/tint the clear lenses supplied in a yellow finish

i have watched a couple of videos & RitDye seems to be the chosen product for the job

has anyone else tried this?

cheers 

1 hour ago, heroshark said:

What is the purpose of dying the lens? 

Try some yellow lenses and you’ll see. It’s like the day version of night vision 

21 minutes ago, E21A said:

Try some yellow lenses and you’ll see. It’s like the day version of night vision 

I know what they are like. Good for picking up details and movement especially when people are well camouflaged.  So the question still stands what is the intended purpose/outcome of dying it?

11 hours ago, heroshark said:

What is the purpose of dying the lens? 

As the lense is clear / zero tint , I want it yellow, as the manufacturer does not make one  , I prefer the contrasts when using a yellow or amber lense

So , my question still stands

Does anyone have any experience of dying clear lenses? 

Ah Gotcha. Misread ,though you were trying to dye a yellow lens. No Idea on dying but my take would be to find a good quality correct curvature lens with enough excess to cut the correct outline but that's just me. Or thinking about it make it a dual pane lens using a yellow tint lens double sided taped to the inner of the original lens

• Supporters

Most dyes require an element of heat in the process, even rit dye, which may (or may not ?) compromise the integrity of the lenses, making them no longer safe to use ?.

i myself often run yellow lenses, so appreciate why you want them.

Archived