L85A2

HAM
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’ve searched this forum specifically and for some reason not one thread shows regarding the Sa80 L85- which is strange because when I search google this forum comes up!

anyway, looking at getting my first L85A2 are there only really G&G or ICS worth looking at? 

what are people’s recommendations based on personal experience?

thanks for your help!

I would say the G&G with the ETU is the one to get. However if not that the ICS is solid choice. 

I've got the ICS version but it was picked up as a x hand model and subsequently it had suffered a lot of wear and tear. Given the condition it was in (some of which I didn't realise until handed over to a tech) it was an excellent performer although it did suffer from occasionally locking into full auto. I suspect this fell down to unused BB's infiltrating the lower receiver when the mag was removed too slowly (I keep meaning to find low caps to try feed every BB) or issues relating to the cut off but I'm speculating at this point. Since @Davegolf worked his magic on it it has been flawless, however, the work that was done was extensive.

I have a couple of friends who run the ICS versions and theirs are both stock, with the exception of one having installed a tightbore barrel and different hop rubber. Both seem very satisfied with them and have no complaints that I'm aware of and both have owned theirs from new but they're still relatively recent purchases.

From what I've read the new G&G version with the ETU resolves the issue of semi-auto locking up which was one of the main issues associated with the L85 series of AEG. If you're interested in adding a RIS (something you'll want to budget for as they aren't cheap for the L85) then there is now an A3 rail which has recently entered circulation. At this point in time the A3 rail is only available for the G&G version and the WE GBBR version but I believe an ICS version is planned at some point.

If memory serves there are some extensive reviews in the review section of the forum which I think were penned by Ed who had experience with one of the AEG's (think it was the ICS) and with the GBBR. If you do opt for the GBBR route then I would be prepared to fork out for various replacement internal parts, something which is common to many of the WE GBBR range.

Hopefully this is of some help. When it comes to bullpups @Asomodai is definitely the authority on this area of the hobby and I would be of the inclination to heed his advice.

Freefrag, many thanks a huge respect for the in depth reply. There doesn’t seem to be a huge difference between the 2 guns, I had already planned the angry gun L85A3 rail so that’s good knowing it only fits G&G 

I would prefer to steer away from GBB so definitely in the AEG market. 

The ICS can be picked up for around £300 at the moment so around £100 cheaper than the G&G. so if there’s not a lot of different RE spec it would be silly to go for the more expensive one. 

It won’t be my go to every game rifle so it will be only occasional use. I use 7.4 lipo in my other guns and I’ve read the G&G needs to be run on 11v so that’s another expense. 

thanks for your help everyone 

7 hours ago, HAM said:

Freefrag, many thanks a huge respect for the in depth reply. There doesn’t seem to be a huge difference between the 2 guns, I had already planned the angry gun L85A3 rail so that’s good knowing it only fits G&G 

I would prefer to steer away from GBB so definitely in the AEG market. 

The ICS can be picked up for around £300 at the moment so around £100 cheaper than the G&G. so if there’s not a lot of different RE spec it would be silly to go for the more expensive one. 

It won’t be my go to every game rifle so it will be only occasional use. I use 7.4 lipo in my other guns and I’ve read the G&G needs to be run on 11v so that’s another expense. 

thanks for your help everyone 

Not a problem. I've ordered various bits from this company before and never had an issue although I've never ordered an AEG. As it would be importing you'd need to provide your UKARA and advise it needs to be clearly displayed on the outside of the packaging, however, given we still benefit from no import fees from the EU it might be an option. This works out at around £340 plus P&P which narrows the gap on price somewhat.

I'm not sure if the G&G has a quick change spring system but it would be worth factoring in a spring change as it'll be firing too hot otherwise but this might at least bring back into line as an option. I can always do more searching but this was just a bit of a quick 5 minute flick through some of my bookmarked retailers. Main reason I thought I'd have a quick look is due to your mention of desiring an A3 rail for yours.

13 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

Not a problem. I've ordered various bits from this company before and never had an issue although I've never ordered an AEG. As it would be importing you'd need to provide your UKARA and advise it needs to be clearly displayed on the outside of the packaging, however, given we still benefit from no import fees from the EU it might be an option. This works out at around £340 plus P&P which narrows the gap on price somewhat.

I'm not sure if the G&G has a quick change spring system but it would be worth factoring in a spring change as it'll be firing too hot otherwise but this might at least bring back into line as an option. I can always do more searching but this was just a bit of a quick 5 minute flick through some of my bookmarked retailers. Main reason I thought I'd have a quick look is due to your mention of desiring an A3 rail for yours.

hey man thanks again! Would you say the G&G is better overall? Someone has said they believe a ICS a3 kit is imminent and I wouldn’t want to buy a less able gun just for a rail kit. There’s always the option of a madbull RIS which looks smart too

Archived